The DIS Campers Train Thread: From Model Trains Up To The Real Thing

I have always wondered how strenuous it is to pedal those?

I have always wondered how strenuous it is to pedal those?
I think it depends on the grade and how fast they want you to go. This one wasn't bad at all. Strenuous, but not overly so. Last year same track, was brutal.

WOW! Very cool Spence!
So, how do you steer them? The handholds there on the side?

No steering, just a hand brake to slow down. Peddle to go faster. It was prety cool to do it.

No steering, just a hand brake to slow down. Peddle to go faster. It was prety cool to do it.

Seeing all those rail bikes lined up, I wondered how often (far apart) the bikes are sent off from origination to destination. There must be a minimum time space/gap between bikes.

My problem is I might be in front of a line of bikes and get tired and want to stop to rest (no place to pull over out of the way). And I'm afraid I would cause a delay/back-up of fit, buff, strong pedalers behind me.

I think this would probably be a spectator sport for me. :scared:

But Spencer, that looks like you and DD on the bike so I commend you for being a super dad.

giphy.gif

ED

You would be able to do it Ed. Lots of little kids on the ride. People didn't stop, but slowed down. And they did stop you at the halfway point for a rest and after a uphill part. They want it familly freindly, not boot campish.

Very cool. My two sons know all about that loco.

That museum is in York, correct?

Very cool. My two sons know all about that loco.

That museum is in York, correct?
Yes, we spent about 3 hours there, but one could stay all day and not get bored. They have an entire warehouse chock full of models, furniture, signs, silverware, and other artifacts that are related to UK rail history.

Earlier this year, we visited the Henry Ford museum in Dearborn, MI and thought they had a great rail museum. This one is better.

I'll post some more pics later, as it's almost bedtime for us.

20240828_145757[1].jpg20240829_093110[1].jpg

The top pic was taken on 8/28/24 at Mallig, Scotland during a pouring rain. I did manage to get the engineer to smile, though.

The second picture was the next day at Fort William, Scotland as The Jacobite was about to depart on it's morning run to Mallig. This is the train that all Potterheads want to ride.

We didn't ride it, instead choosing to go on the regular commuter train. The scenery along the route is to die for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jacobite_(steam_train)
https://westcoastrailways.co.uk/jacobite/steam-train-trip

The second picture was the next day at Fort William, Scotland as The Jacobite was about to depart on it's morning run to Mallig. This is the train that all Potterheads want to ride.

I was aware of The Jacobite, @wabbott. You see, the town of Fort William is also the train station for those of us hikers to summit Ben Nevis which is the tallest "mountain" in the UK. It's only a 2-mile drive or walk to the BN Visitor Centre from the FW train station at the start of the trail. (It's 4400 feet above sea level and FW is a sea/coastal town). It's about a 5 mile hike one-way to the top and a lot of people do it each year as a day-hike.

And about the only other thing to do in FW besides climb BN is to ride The Jacobite. Both would be a pleasant activity. And especially with the long days (that far north) in the summer months, the train ride I bet has wonderful views.

Sounds like you're on a great trip and there is a rich, deep train history in the UK to explore.

Thanks for sharing!

Bama Ed

PS - I'm an armchair traveler and have about 4 vacations 50% planned out in my head and a Scotland/Northern England visit (without London sightseeing) is certainly one of them. DW has Scottish roots so while she rolls her eyes at my train stuff, she'd go for the family history angle.

Last edited:
We got home late Thursday night from our European Railtour Adventure. I will try and sort through all the hundreds and hundreds of pics I took and post some that I hope y'all will like.

These pics are from the historic Istanbul Sirkeci Railway Station. James Bond movie fans might recognize this as the location in From Russia, With Love where Bond and Tatiana Romanova boarded the Orient Express headead for Venice. Several scenes from the movie were shot in Istanbul.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirkeci_railway_station

Here is some info on the locomotive.
https://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/wm9JE1_Sirkeci_Station_Steam_Locomotive_Istambul

1726912145513.jpeg

1726912231912.jpeg

1726912325676.jpeg

Last edited:
Love St. Pancras Station.

The Tube (subway) ride from Heathrow comes into St. Pancras/King's Cross complex underground.

DS#2 and I stayed in a hotel (Alhambra) 1.5 blocks from the front door of St. Pancras in 2016. Across the street from St. Pancras and up a block is a pub named for an old steam rail train, the Euston Flyer.

Euston Station is about 4 blocks up the street from St. Pancras and Euston serves northern England and Scotland trains.

Here is a rare picture of Bama_ED and DS#2 at the end of the platform of St. Pancras.

We walked from our hotel to St. Pancras to ride the Eurostar to Paris and did the return trip about 10 days later (with all sorts of drama). But it was nice to have a hotel within brief walking distance of the station.

Oh, and when in London ......

Hope you are home resting comfortably, @wabbott .

Bama Ed

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest