• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

The Caribbean vs Europe

I second this as I just had to adjust flight times that got changed by the airline. The airfare went up $1000 per person since I had booked when searching out alternative flights before calling to get our flights moved. For a family of 4 the cost of airfare is the same cost as the 50% off sailing price for the 10 day Norway one we are going on.
That makes me feel better about having already booked flights. I had google flight trackers on a handful of things, and it just wasn't changing. We're flying into Stockholm and back from Copenhagen, so I tried all sorts of different variations of multi-stop options. Some random huge escalations might show up one day, but then back to the usual price the next day. Absolutely nothing was coming down, though, and I got nervous waiting since there were only a couple decent options for the trip schedule we planned.

That makes me feel better about having already booked flights. I had google flight trackers on a handful of things, and it just wasn't changing. We're flying into Stockholm and back from Copenhagen, so I tried all sorts of different variations of multi-stop options. Some random huge escalations might show up one day, but then back to the usual price the next day. Absolutely nothing was coming down, though, and I got nervous waiting since there were only a couple decent options for the trip schedule we planned.
That’s exactly why we booked our August flights to Alaska as well. I think summer is a tough time to book flights. And if you don’t want something with 2 stops and a 11 hour layover I don’t see inventory improving much.

My rule always is: once I have booked my flight I don’t go back and check pricing anymore. Don’t want to know how stupid I was! 🤣

Go to Norway! Right now 2024 is the last year non-electric ships will be able to sail the Norwegian Fjords and you have 50% off. An 8 year old will remember the trip and enjoy it. And more importantly so will you! We’ve only ever done 10 or 7 day cruises with our kids so far and they enjoyed them, all under 8 years old. I don’t know why in the world your travel agent would say an 8 year old is too young for a week long cruise.

Last edited:
I booked as soon as the flight schedules opened because we are a family of 5 and I wanted premium economy on the long hauls and they only have a few rows of it on each flight and I’d hate to have to be scattered throughout the section taking whatever seats are left. We paid $1400 a person, now it’s $2500 for basic economy. I usually don’t go back and look either but they changed our flight time out of Copenhagen to Paris which would only give 20 minutes to connect to our Paris flight home. Our TA said she’s had a lot of people canceling the Europe cruises they booked because airfare is so expensive. We were able to get moved to a flight directly from Copenhagen to NY instead then connecting home.

We found that Vancouver is just a far more expensive airport to fly into than other North American cities - for whatever reason.
Vancouver is definitely more expensive but currently my best option is £850 return. That’s like £250 more than I paid last time I went to Vancouver in 2017.

There are some reasonable flights out there however it’s so route dependent.

Vancouver is definitely more expensive but currently my best option is £850 return. That’s like £250 more than I paid last time I went to Vancouver in 2017.

There are some reasonable flights out there however it’s so route dependent.
I have the opposite direction problem 🤣 We live in Vancouver and are taking a Europe cruise this August. We just booked roundtrip airfare for 4 to and from Gatwick for $5200CDN (not in premium economy either, going to be a long flight). We still need a one way to Copenhagen but we are looking at around $650CDN total on Norwegian so that's nothing compared to our other flights 🤣

Our DCL cruise in Northern Europe (Norway, Iceland, and Scotland) was my favorite trip ever. Our cruises out of Florida don't even rank in the top 10. I'd 100% use the discount on one of the European itineraries. Those tend to be quite expensive.

Norway in July can still be quite rainy, that would give a different spin to your vacation, so keep that in mind. Southern Europe would be better.

I’d do the med (in fact we are in May with a 13 and 7 year old!). I’ve done week long cruises with them at 18 months and 7 years old before and they both loved it.

Personally we don’t find the kids have got tired out with long days out every day on holiday and they love a good hands on museum or castle to explore. But then we’re not beach / relaxing by the pool people (it somehow makes us feel stressed - like we’re wasting holiday time 🤣) so the children have been used to road trips and “busy” holidays since birth.

8 is a great age to actually remember stuff longer term too!

Another family that started traveling with our kids from an early age. Our opinion is that even if our kids don't remember every detail, the experiences are still part of their history and what makes them well rounded individuals, but the memories are priceless for me and DH.

When they were younger, we picked places we wanted to go to and the kids for the most part liked all of it. We always have things with us to entertain them, even now that they're teenagers (cards, travel board games, etc.). Now that they're older, they occasionally suggest places they'd like to go and when possible we make it happen.

I hope they maintain their love of travel, and I hope they continue to want to travel with us (as long as we're able, we'll pick up the tab).

Wow. I didn't expect so many replies and such a depth of information. Thank you all so very much for all of this insight!
Young kids aren’t going to care where you go. Do the itinerary you’d enjoy more. For me that would be Europe all the way.

Go to Norway! Right now 2024 is the last year non-electric ships will be able to sail the Norwegian Fjords and you have 50% off. An 8 year old will remember the trip and enjoy it. And more importantly so will you! We’ve only ever done 10 or 7 day cruises with our kids so far and they enjoyed them, all under 8 years old. I don’t know why in the world your travel agent would say an 8 year old is too young for a week long cruise.
I guess Norway will be using al out of tourism.

Go to Norway! Right now 2024 is the last year non-electric ships will be able to sail the Norwegian Fjords and you have 50% off.

This is why you need to go to Norway this year!

Disney already cannot go back to Geiranger. As we were leaving Geiranger in 2019 on the Magic we were talking
to a crew member/officer (white uniform) and he said then Disney could not go back there.
And that was sad because Geiranger Fjord is a beautiful fjord and to not be able to sail back again is disappointing!
We would love to sail back there again but it doesn't look like we will ever be able to.

Thank you all for the feedback! I've appreciated all of the insight and it seemed the answer was overwhelmingly pointing in the same direction (go to Europe!). In that light, we decided to go ahead and book the Norway/Iceland cruise. When we called DCL to book, we were told we could use the 50% discount on a newly released (and massively discounted) VGTY fare which made it a no brainer. After many years of cancelled cruises, hopefully this one will stick!

Thank you all so very much again!

Wow,
Thank you all for the feedback! I've appreciated all of the insight and it seemed the answer was overwhelmingly pointing in the same direction (go to Europe!). In that light, we decided to go ahead and book the Norway/Iceland cruise. When we called DCL to book, we were told we could use the 50% discount on a newly released (and massively discounted) VGTY fare which made it a no brainer. After many years of cancelled cruises, hopefully this one will stick!

So nice that you could use the 50% off on a VGT! That makes it affordable. Enjoy the cruise!

Oh wow, that's fantastic!!! Enjoy your cruise :)

Hope you enjoy your cruise! We're going to Iceland/Norway this year on Norwegian instead of DCL, but only because their schedule worked better for us. I'm sure you'll have a blast!

Great choice!
Although you really won't see much of the Norwegian Fjords as your stops are really at the outer edge of them,
you still made a good choice with Iceland!
Just be sure to be up around 2am sometime around Iceland on a clear night and you may be able to see the northern lights.
That is the time we had to be up to see them on our August Iceland cruise with Disney. The cruise members
may inform you of this. However, you will probably need your camera to really see them. When we looked at first
we couldn't see them but someone had their camera out and they showed up then. We have beautiful pictures from
our phone cameras! When we looked with just our eyes it was just a haze in the sky. For some reason the phone
cameras really bring them out! And to really see them you will need to be out in the open on the upper deck.

If 2024 is the last year for non- electric ships, what does this mean for Disney cruises to Norway in the future?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter