The airport solo with a 1-year old

Jenna319

DIS Veteran
My family and I are spending a week at Disney for Halloween and I am now contemplating staying 3 nights longer with my 1 year old, because I have a few extra days off before I have to return to work, and my cousin lives in Orlando so we can stay with her. She has a 1 year old so she has everything I need baby-wise. The only thing holding me back is the airplane ride home solo..... I do have a seat booked for my daughter so I will have her car seat with me. How hard is it to travel with a 1 year old solo??? It is just so tempting to have a few extra days in Disney!!!

I think you should go for it! My DD is 5 now but I was living abroad when I had her and did a lot of transatlantic solo flights with her as a baby. They were all absolutely fine. My biggest tip about travelling solo with a wee one is to speak up. Let the airlines know that you are going it solo and they should give you extra time boarding. The cabin crew as well will be more than happy to help with things like food, milk etc. And if you have any questions regarding what to do with you car seat, I would just call the airline directly and they can walk you through the process.

I know it can all seem a little bit intimidating, and I used to get nervous when travelling alone with a baby but when you weigh it against being able to stay on in FL for a few more glorious sun-filled Disney days, I know what option I'd be picking.

You can do it,

x
Dora

Last edited:
I think you should go for it! My DD is 5 now but I was living abroad when I had her and did a lot of transatlantic solo flights with her as a baby. They were all absolutely fine. My biggest tip about travelling solo with a wee one is to speak up. Let the airlines know that you are going it solo and they should give you extra time boarding. The cabin crew as well will be more than happy to help with thing like food, milk etc. And if you have an questions regarding what to do with you car seat, I would just call the airline directly and they can walk you through the process.

I know it can all seem a little bit intimidating, and I used to get nervous when travelling alone with a baby but when you weigh it against being able to stay on in FL for a few more glorious sun-filled Disney days, I know what option I'd be picking.

You can do it,

x
Dora

Thanks Dora! I actually think a few days by myself with my daughter in Disney sounds amazing! And she is a very good *knock on wood* easy baby! I have to decide soon before flight prices go up - that's the best part is it really wouldn't cost me anything to make the change since I can stay with family. Just have to extend the car and move my flight with Southwest.....

I know things can worry you. Make sure you ask for all the help you can. On my last trip I saw a mom carry her little one in a carrier so she had her hands free. The crew was great with putting her bags up for her and checking on her during the flight. Just remember if you are worried and tense your DD will since it and get tense. I know it will be a great time for you to get away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter