The adventures of Tiggerdad (A collection of camping locations, mishaps, reviews, alterations, food, and whatever else I can find)

Just curious. When you found the conference, were you searching "healthcare provider conferences near me" or "what conferences are at GSP lodge"?

:rotfl2:

j
MS Nurse Practitioner Association. It's their 10th year in a row having it, 4th here at GSP. I've never been able the prior ones. Since we getCME I can write it off as education. So fuel, campsite, and convention fees all included and covered.

My drug reps in clinic been badgering me about attending so we could all hang out. This the reason DW made the 13 yo come with me.

Site 21 not bad. I have a tree to give morning shade. Got a couple birds up in it fighting currently.
20240714_194836.jpg

20240714_171935.jpg

20240714_171951.jpg

20240714_194824.jpg

Should have good sunrise view.

Dinner was the Sun liner Diner. Back setting up site now.

View attachment 876499

Have an owl hanging out across from me over site 18

Looks like it could be some awesome Daddy-Daughter Days early on. I loved the days with my DD (like when we left the Fort and went to Key Largo SP-then stayed at the Fort on the way home [this trip was early January month]). Or when we saw the manatees at Blue Spring State Park in Florida (the two of us).

Make some memories with your youngest DD, @tiggerdad (although I know you will).

They remember those days when they are older.

ED

Will do Ed

In regards to a prior discussion you and I had about taking a left after crossing the old toll bridge...this did not happen. In fact, trip down was heavy in traffic. So slow on I10 (average 45 mph across bay bridge and literally all way to hwy 59) that I gambled and got off on hwy 59 and it was actually pretty smooth all way south. Baldwin Beach was showing a lot of red especially at toll bridge, which actually makes sense. That's 4 lanes of traffic being forced into 2 lane at bridge. Guy who came in on 19 behind me said traffic was backed up to Roscoe Road as everyone was in left lane trying to get single file for the bridge.

I wonder, with the toll eliminated, if Baldwin Beach will now be worse than hwy 59? I mean I stopped using hwy 59 way back as all the traffic lights created too much stop and go, but now they've added a lot of traffic lights on Baldwin Beach and made it almost as bad. Bucees has made the intersection at I10 a madhouse. I've grown to despise it.

Y'all can start praying for the folks in Gulf Shores. Tomorrow after church myself and youngest DD (13 y/o) will be heading down to Gulf State Park for 4 days of UNSUPERVISED fun. Technically it's a nurse practitioner "conference" but we'll see...

Our youngest and I had that same situation at WDW last summer. Surprisingly, other then the eye rolling from my awesome dad jokes, we managed to have a good time and as DD proclaimed "I didnt let him buy everything". What that really meant was she used her magic band too (which still is paid by me, though it was cute to hear her proclaim that.)

@tiggerdad, I have noticed that when I drive my 5-mile stretch between Hwy 59 and Buccee's on I-10, that 2-lane is pretty stacked with cars in each direction but I am on it for that very short stretch so your info about more of the road towards Mobile is news to me. Thanks.

One thing I've done in retirement is whether the destination is Gulf Shores or Orlando, I try to drive on a weekday-not-named-Friday-(afternoon). Weekends (including Friday afternoon) to and from tourist destinations are much busier than weekdays generally. As a retired person I have a lot more leeway to schedule my drives with that in mind.

Of course there are exceptions: when I drive I-10 between Dothan, AL and Lake City, there is a whole lot of NOTHING almost all the time and the highway widens to 5 lanes each way through Tallahassee which really helps too. Every day of the week is usually smooth sailing through there.

I still plan to try (at least one time) going over the Intercoastal on the now-free toll bridge and do the Left-Right-Right onto the beach highway to GSP the next time I'm headed that way (which looks like it will be a quick weekend trip in February). Just to see how it goes and consider time of day, day of week, etc.

Have fun!

ED

PS - I know on Hwy 59 the Gulf Shores city government has tried to time the lights to roll down to the beach highway with as few stops as possible. If Foley, Summerdale, Robertsdale, and Loxley all did the same on Hwy 59 south of I-10, that could make it more of an option. I personally haven't driven that complete leg in over 10 years so it indeed could be much improved like the experience you had.

So I attended what part of conference today I was interested in and then we headed up to Summerdale to view the swamp puppies at Alligator Alley.20240715_112906.jpg20240715_115043.jpg20240715_121507.jpg20240715_122504.jpg

This one was named Skittles
20240715_123805.jpg20240715_123818.jpg

After that it was lunch at Docs in Orange Beach
20240715_141353.jpg

20240715_141357.jpg

Love those crinkle cut fries at Doc's!

I did go back via the Baldwin Beach. They now have signs at Roscoe Road (about 1-2miles) before the bridge warning you that the right lane ends. Of course they are in process of building a new bridge for the south bound two lanes to get it open for 4 lanes over the intercoastal but that is still a bit off from being finished.

From a time perspective I can't see it being any shorter and there are a few more traffic lights to contend with but not horrible, except when you have to merge onto the beach road. You only have a short distance to get moved over left or your forced to turn right into Publix. A stop light conveniently backs traffic up there.

Will be a try and see.

We are at the smaller one Ed. Not the one down on the beach highway. I assume it's the same?

We ate at the one in OB on Canal Road (Hwy 180) at the intersection with Hwy161. The "Shack". I think it's the original location. Been there for 4-5 decades (as long as I've been going to GS). ED

1721080871691.png

PS - didn't even know there was a location on the beach highway because I don't go to OB very much.

We ate at the one in OB on Canal Road (Hwy 180) at the intersection with Hwy161. The "Shack". I think it's the original location. Been there for 4-5 decades (as long as I've been going to GS). ED

View attachment 876882

PS - didn't even know there was a location on the beach highway because I don't go to OB very much.
If you go just further down, GTs on Bay is nice. Took DW there twice. Good fish menu.

If you go just further down, GTs on Bay is nice. Took DW there twice. Good fish menu.

giphy.gif

In case those of you who know me well wonder if I have lost a step ..

View attachment 876894

You've been gone a little while, brother. (I know you were there recently but there have been some gaps between your recent visits). He looks a little thin through his mid-section. You need to come back more often and encourage him/them to eat.

giphy.gif

If you could come more often (life schedule allowing), SquirrelNet would be healthier and we could come to help feed the little folks.

BTW some salsa would go great on that.

Last edited:
Baldwin Beach was showing a lot of red especially at toll bridge, which actually makes sense. That's 4 lanes of traffic being forced into 2 lane at bridge.

Bucees has made the intersection at I10 a madhouse. I've grown to despise it.
Bucees has messed up that exit, but I try to get left as soon as I can and you get past it quick.

I didn't think of things backing up approaching the bridge when it goes down to 2 lanes.

I wonder if it would be any better taking Baldwin Beach Express down to the left light jog onto Foley Beach Expressway and going right to jog over to 59 north of Foley? That left turn light onto Foley Beach Express always backs up with people turning left and not realizing there are 2 left turn lanes.

1721091054196.png

j

Last edited:
Bucees has messed up that exit, but I try to get left as soon as I can and you get past it quick.

I didn't think of things backing up approaching the bridge when it goes down to 2 lanes.

I wonder if it would be any better taking Baldwin Beach Express down to the left light jog onto Foley Beach Expressway and going right to jog over to 59 north of Foley? That light always backs up with people turning left and not realizing there are 2 left turn lanes.

View attachment 876907

j

You're right, Jim, it's not that far over to Hwy 59 where the Baldwin Beach Express turns left onto the Foley Beach Express. Even then, you've missed Loxley, Robertsdale, and Summerdale (one of those had a nice big fruit/vegetable open air market right up on the highway).

DW and I drove Hwy 59 two different days to a book store just north of Foley and back the last time we were down there. One trip was smooth sailing both directions, the other was light after light after light. So it might be hit and miss.

I'll just wait patiently for you guys to figure out the best route and that's the one I'll go with.
Since you're coming from central Florida, your best route is probably coming in from the Pensacola side. I took this route when we went from Disney to GSP one year. Fairly easy and you miss all the Foley/Orange Beach Expressway nonsense.

I'd just put it in your GPS and follow that.

j

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest