Thanksgiving

Jessica Rust

Mouseketeer
I am desperately wanting to see Christmas at Disney. I’m a teacher so when I can go has to revolve around the school schedule. We are looking at going Thanksgiving week 2019. I’ll only have to take two days off and my bday is on Thanksgiving day that year. I know it will be less crowded than Christmas week.

How bad (be honest) are the crowds during Thanksgiving? Are they bad all well or just the later part? We are used to traveling during the crowded times since I am a teacher and all trips are planned around school breaks. We went this year the week leading us to Easter and didn’t think it was that bad. Can someone compare Easter week to Thanksgiving week?

Thanks!

I am desperately wanting to see Christmas at Disney. I’m a teacher so when I can go has to revolve around the school schedule. We are looking at going Thanksgiving week 2019. I’ll only have to take two days off and my bday is on Thanksgiving day that year. I know it will be less crowded than Christmas week.

How bad (be honest) are the crowds during Thanksgiving? Are they bad all well or just the later part? We are used to traveling during the crowded times since I am a teacher and all trips are planned around school breaks. We went this year the week leading us to Easter and didn’t think it was that bad. Can someone compare Easter week to Thanksgiving week?

Thanks!
No one can give a prediction for that week because it is still unknown as to when Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge opens in DHS.

Just prepare for a very busy week and you won’t be disappointed. :)

We have been to Disney several times over the years, but this year will be our first time going over Thanksgiving. I think the key is all about managing expectations.
  • Recently, we've been doing 10-12 day trips in October with a couple of shorter June trips thrown in in selected years. This is going to be an 8 day trip.
  • Because this is a shorter trip during a busier time, we understand that riding our favorites 4-5 times during the trip is not going to happen.
  • Rides with the longest lines will be fast-passed once.
  • Rides we're used to having moderate lines in October and June will graduate to rope drop status.
  • Afternoons will primarily feature large capacity shows.
  • Late nights at MK will be devoted to rides that normally attract families with smaller children, many of whom will have already left for the day. Why wait 40-45 minutes to ride Pooh at 11:30 in the morning when you can ride it with a 5 minute wait at 11:30 at night.
  • We we still incorporate 3-4 hour breaks on some days, but will not have any non-park days.
  • More quick service meals than usual will be eaten outside the parks to avoid the crowds.

All that said, since you are planning a 2019 trip, there is that great big unknown that is when Galaxy's Edge will open at Hollywood Studios. I would not want to be anywhere near Hollywood Studios within the first 4-6 months that it is open. And, some of that crowd will naturally spill over into the other parks. That said, I can see some very long hours being available in all parks once Galaxy's Edge opens, especially during a holiday week.

We love Thanksgiving. The weather is usually nice-not hot and not too cold. Definitely gets crowded as the week goes on but not terrible.

We have been to Disney several times over the years, but this year will be our first time going over Thanksgiving. I think the key is all about managing expectations.
  • Recently, we've been doing 10-12 day trips in October with a couple of shorter June trips thrown in in selected years. This is going to be an 8 day trip.
  • Because this is a shorter trip during a busier time, we understand that riding our favorites 4-5 times during the trip is not going to happen.
  • Rides we're used to having moderate lines in October and June will graduate to rope drop status.
  • Late nights at MK will be devoted to rides that normally attract families with smaller children, many of whom will have already left for the day. Why wait 40-45 minutes to ride Pooh at 11:30 in the morning when you can ride it with a 5 minute wait at 11:30 at night.
  • We we still incorporate 3-4 hour breaks on some days, but will not have any non-park days.
  • More quick service meals than usual will be eaten outside the parks to avoid the crowds.

All that said, since you are planning a 2019 trip, there is that great big unknown that is when Galaxy's Edge will open at Hollywood Studios. I would not want to be anywhere near Hollywood Studios within the first 4-6 months that it is open. And, some of that crowd will naturally spill over into the other parks. That said, I can see some very long hours being available in all parks once Galaxy's Edge opens, especially during a holiday week.

We are not Star Wars fans at all, so I had not even thought of that!

We’ve been for Thanksgiving a couple times and haven’t found the crowds to be too bad. We were able to get all the reservations we wanted and get on all the rides (with careful use of fast pass). Plus the weather is less oppressive. I suggest thinking about the Christmas party. We really loved it!

As for when Star Wars will open- It is supposed to open in Q4 and when is anyone’s guess. If it is open, and you’re not a fan, then steer clear of DHS. If you’re only there for a couple days then this shouldn’t be too much of a problem. My sense is that even if it is open at that point you will only have die hards that are making a special “pilgrimage” and therefore it won’t impact other parks too much. Now spring 2020 is another matter where you’ve given people time to plan. Think park capacity at that point...

Disney is even more amazing holiday time! If you can go the Friday before Thanksgiving I would suggest that to be able to do MVMCP. At Epcot are the storytellers which beginning last year started the Sunday before and Candlelight Processional which this year begins on Thanksgiving Day. Also take time to visit GF, WL, CR, AKL, BC, YC, and BW for the decorations plus the campsites at FW at night. And at Disney Springs is Christmas Tree Trail among other things. We have been on several Thanksgiving Week trips and found the crowds manageable. The weather was fine. We don’t take breaks we are pretty much at the parks from open to close but we are adults with no kids and pretty much eat all meals TS due to food allergies and that is our time to relax and recharge. Every restaurant serves some type of special food on Thanksgiving even if not on the list that comes out. Our favorite is Boma which always seems to get left off. They have a nice combination of Thanksgiving food and their regular food.

I like all you said. We have not been to Disney during a moderate to high crowd expectation since Spring Break 2008. We will be at Disney 11/20-11/27, I know this will be a different experience than our past trips and I am mentally preparing my self. We may have to adjust our go to touring style.

Disney is even more amazing holiday time! If you can go the Friday before Thanksgiving I would suggest that to be able to do MVMCP. At Epcot are the storytellers which beginning last year started the Sunday before and Candlelight Processional which this year begins on Thanksgiving Day. Also take time to visit GF, WL, CR, AKL, BC, YC, and BW for the decorations plus the campsites at FW at night. And at Disney Springs is Christmas Tree Trail among other things. We have been on several Thanksgiving Week trips and found the crowds manageable. The weather was fine. We don’t take breaks we are pretty much at the parks from open to close but we are adults with no kids and pretty much eat all meals TS due to food allergies and that is our time to relax and recharge. Every restaurant serves some type of special food on Thanksgiving even if not on the list that comes out. Our favorite is Boma which always seems to get left off. They have a nice combination of Thanksgiving food and their regular food.

Do they not have MVMCP the week of Thanksgiving?

It's just my mom and I. We don't ride the "thrill rides" and eat most meals TS as well to have the chance to sit and relax for a bit. Usually a big breakfast, snack for lunch, and big diner. How hard would it be to get into the Candlelight Processional with is just starting that day?

It's just my mom and I. We don't ride the "thrill rides" and eat most meals TS as well to have the chance to sit and relax for a bit. Usually a big breakfast, snack for lunch, and big diner. How hard would it be to get into the Candlelight Processional with is just starting that day?

You sound very similar to us except it is my DH and DM and myself who travel together. We are not big thrill ride people either although my husband and I will ride the motion simulators and Test Track. We also tend to have a big breakfast and then a lighter lunch of salads or sandwiches and then a big dinner. Up until this year the Candlelight Processional always started on Black Friday and we would go then. I always called or went online the day the CP dining package was released (usually the beginning of July, it won’t be available at your 180 days) and never had an issue getting the restaurant for dinner and show at the times we wanted. We are going the Saturday after this year and also had no issues when booking. I would assume for you for next year if it opens on Thanksgiving Day again as long as you are online at 6 am the day you find out that the package will go on sale you should have no issues.

You sound very similar to us except it is my DH and DM and myself who travel together. We are not big thrill ride people either although my husband and I will ride the motion simulators and Test Track. We also tend to have a big breakfast and then a lighter lunch of salads or sandwiches and then a big dinner. Up until this year the Candlelight Processional always started on Black Friday and we would go then. I always called or went online the day the CP dining package was released (usually the beginning of July, it won’t be available at your 180 days) and never had an issue getting the restaurant for dinner and show at the times we wanted. We are going the Saturday after this year and also had no issues when booking. I would assume for you for next year if it opens on Thanksgiving Day again as long as you are online at 6 am the day you find out that the package will go on sale you should have no issues.

Thanks! No I am debating on if I want to just suck it up and go Christmas week. I want to see the Christmas parade and the fireworks and didn't realize they didn't have those the week of Thanksgiving. Blah....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter