Team 'Ohana--No One Left Behind: The Continuing Adventures

Oh, I'll just be random and post again. :goodvibes

In the continuing adventures of my unexciting life, the following happened:
  • Moved to new digs (in the same city), which took up far more time than I would have thought a local move should;
  • Said goodbye to our beloved cat, Caliban, just before the move;
  • Attended our first Pirates game, even though we've lived in Pgh for years, and a couple of beer tastings (I'm a fan of the whisky and whiskey, DOOD is the beer lover);
  • Decided to run the ToT at the last minute;
  • Booked two trips to DL this summer, with two other trips in the States;
  • Bruised my small toe - not the one I broke, the one on the other foot - in another clumsy accident.

So, between all that and trying to keep up with work projects, the running has been minimal. But consistent. And I'm putting that in the win category.

How about you?

Yay! Random posts! I'm good at that, too, though I'm not sure I have as much to say as Debra.

• Went to Maine to run a marathon and ended up running my dog in agility all weekend instead
  • Ran a marathon in Stockholm and had a blast even with the pouring rain, vomiting, and other assorted issues
  • Have officially entered summer mode - nothing but swimming, strength training, and very easy running

I'm still looking for a dive buddy for my trip to the Maldives this summer? Anyone want to join me for 10 days of absolutely fantastic diving? :cool1:

OK, I'm going to try to post this a third time....

I'm glad to see a bit of action around here. I hope it stays more active! Not that I couldn't help with that. :rotfl2:

Debra - Now that your an experienced Pirate fan, I will hope to catch a future game with you if I make it that way during baseball season. So sorry for your loss of Caliban. Good luck with the ToT! Take care of that toe and enjoy those trips!!!

John - Sure wish I could come along to be that dive buddy you need but my summer is pretty well booked. It sounds like great fun.

AFM - I'm still dragging along from IMTX hoping to feel more recovered one of these days. I must be more recovered than I feel because I had a strong 28.5 miles riding with a fast group today before I bonked from under-nutrition and fatigue, though I kept up with my coach during her 25-29 mph outbursts during that time. :crazy2: I'm hoping to be ready for a good showing at a tri in a few weeks and then the USAT Age Group Nationals in August. Also, I am a finalist for a new job with interviews the last week of June. It would involve a longer commute or a semi-local move as it's on the south side of Houston about 55 miles away (I'm on the north side.) from me and would put me in charge of a three county area involving water use and policy. There's lots of upside though it would also mean becoming more of a bureaucrat and I'd lose the parts of my career that involve hands on construction and application of my trade. I have stiff competition but am going to do my best. BTW, I am trying to keep that information off of FB for the time being.

Debra - Yay for the move. Boo for Caliban. Yay for DL. Annie and I are still trying to convince Bill that he needs to go. He thinks it would be fun, but can't imagine giving up time that he might be at WDW. Annie's taking her boyfriend to WDW in December, and Bill's trying to convince me that we need to go back then too.

John
- Loved that you were able to run Harlow in agility. I mean, it was just a marathon after all... And sorry, diving's just not my thing. Probably because I've never tried it!

Richard - I volunteered at the Raleigh Ironman 70.3 earlier this month. First time at an Ironman event. Wow. They do things right. And I have a whole new appreciation for the distance. And I'm even more in awe that you do twice that.

I'm rehabbing posterior tibial tendonitis. So not running at all. And not feeling very motivated to get back to it. So far this year I've given up the actual 26.2 with Donna for a virtual race, given away my Paris marathon bib, stayed home from the Myrtle Beach Diva, and now I'm not running The Scream half next month. I'm registered for halfs in October and November - we'll see if I can get myself into shape in time for those!

Jackie

Hmmm, things have been pretty scarce here making me wonder if I'm the only one who even looks here anymore.... Darcy and I have decided to take an impromptu Disney cruise in November for our missed anniversary trip earlier in the year. We found a great rate on the Wonder out of Galveston in early November for a 7 day cruise. The only downside of this cruise will be no Castaway Cay stop, but since we've never cruise before I think we can save that for a future trip and be fine. As first-time cruisers we are open to suggestions and ideas.

I'm sure you'll have a great time on your trip. I can't offer any cruise advice myself since I've never taken one either, but it's Disney - how bad can it be?

I'll admit to being one of the non-posters here recently. Not doing much training this summer, mostly 2500m of swimming a few times a week, core & strength work, and a couple of short runs indoors. No races until the fall (halfs in Nov & Dec), and nothing major until the spring when I do Comrades with you. :)

Richard - Have a great time on the cruise. I haven't done one so I have no advice, but I'm sure it will be great! :cool1:

John - From your FB posts, it seems like you've been doing some fun traveling lately. It's great that you're still able to fit in your swimming and workouts. I'm not so good at that.

As for me, it's been a busy summer. My kids are 14, 12, & 6 now, so they're all going in different directions with activities and friends. We just ended the summer with a fun trip to Vero Beach & WDW.

Now it's back to reality and back to school this week.

I've been exercising sporadically, and that's not good. I've decided that, even though I don't have a race to train for, I'm going to train as if I were doing the marathon in January. I do much better when I have a goal (even if this one is imaginary).

It's good to see that this thread might not be dead yet, even mostly dead isn't too far gone. :-)

Julie - Wow, your youngest is 6 already! How the time has flown by....

It's good to see that this thread might not be dead yet, even mostly dead isn't too far gone. :-)

Julie - Wow, your youngest is 6 already! How the time has flown by....

Mostly dead is still partly alive!
Sorry, I couldn't resist :)

:wave:
How is everyone?
Things are a little crazy at my house right now. Mike interviewed yet again (third time in two years) for a transfer and after all the drama, yet again did not get the transfer. Not the end of the world. But we have a kid who is staying put--and wanting us closer to him and we sold our house. We had planned on selling the house, it was just crazy timing with the interviewing, etc. So now I have a closing date which is 18 days away and just found out yesterday that we are staying put--and we have no idea where we are going to live!

It is all really messing with my workouts--because I just don't want to do them! Physically I feel good--but mentally every step is a torturous chore. I am glad I challenged myself to a mile a day every day in 2013 because it has kept me on track even when I don't want to. I am walking more than running, but I am getting out there and I always feel better afterwards. :goodvibes

Mike and I both like our jobs, we just miss our kid. 500 miles through the mountains is a long haul to visit regularly. We are looking at maybe paying cash for a small condo here and then buying a house in Charleston (SC) and make that our home base for holidays, family time etc cause looking for a job is just not fun.

Anyone else doing W&D?
Our DS is doing it with us--undertrained, but that's ok, it just means he will run with us.

Richard--I have never done a cruise before. I am excited for you!

I'm still here, too. Lots of the DIS posts now go into my spam-mish folder for some reason - and I spend too much time on Facebook as my Kungaloosh alter-ego. But I'm here! :cool1:

Mostly dead is still partly alive!

Love it - always quotable!

Richard: I'm excited to hear all about your cruise. It sounds like it will be a wonderful present for the two of you. The best ones are focused on memories, IMO. And I'll be coming to YOU for advice. I haven't made a big public announcement, but DOOD and I are also jumping aboard ship for our first cruise ever next spring. So I'll just draft off you (as usual). I'm a bit worried about feeling trapped and/or bored but DOOD is excited by a new Disney adventure.

John: Like Julie said, it seems as if every time I see your name on FB, you're on another trip! You give me a strong case of wanderlust!

Julie: I have to admit, I do the same thing with running. That is, sometimes I'll pretend to be training for a race I'm not doing - even if it's full. It's one of the bag of tricks I use to motivated my unmotivated self.

And I agree - your youngest is 6? Wow, I can't believe it's been that quick already. :goodvibes

Rose: I had not idea how much upheaval was going on, even though you've alluded to it. Good changes, but wow! The mental stuff can interfere with my desire to run/WO, so I empathize. My ILs maintain a couple of households, one to be closer to their grandchildren. I have to say, it's really made their lives easier and holidays are much more relaxed for them. (It makes our holiday plans harder, but we're child-free so I can't complain. Well, only a little. :rotfl:)

AFM: I'm not doing W&D - I'll likely be in NO then with DOOD for one of his work trips. We're doing ToT. I was surprised DOOD wanted to do it, but it worked well with the semester. We're also doing the Towpath 1/2 (me) and full (him) the weekend afterwards.

Btw, I'm glad Richard posted. I miss you all!

I'm not running it :( but I hope everyone who is has a great time before, during, and after the race.

I'll be thinking of you - and the rest of the cousins - this weekend.

We're headed out tomorrow for the Tower of Terror and then next weekend we'll be doing the Towpath Half (me) and Full (DOOD). Depending, of course, on whether the government shutdown is over. Regardless, I look forward to seeing WISHers again next weekend...including our two Jens! :cool1:

What other races our on the fall schedule for 'Ohana?

Rose, how is your new apartment shaping up?

And a quick note for everyone. Mel has set up another order for WISH shirts on the Facebook page.

What other races our on the fall schedule for 'Ohana?

Not much for me. Running a half in Abu Dhabi in Nov, a half in Dubai in Dec, and that's about it until 2014. Spending a lot of time getting ready for winter races (full in Dubai, 72km relay in Oman), and then it's game on for Comrades in June.

I've been trying to keep up with everyone on FB and that's just an exercise in futility.

What's up with everyone? Doing anything Halloween-ish? Giving out candy? Dressing up? Seeing classic horror movies? Eating all the candy by yourself? (That last one? It's what I'm doing!)

John: That was a cute article, especially with such wording as "So-called course limits are enforced imaginatively at Disney." That said, I'd like to be a balloon lady. I like to think I could be a positive, encouraging person on the course - instead of the snarky person I really am! :lmao:

Rose: How did Mike's interview go? Are you looking forward to Wine & Dine? And Food & Wine? I didn't get to visit more than a handful of kiosks this year. And very little alcohol. Boo and bah.

ToT this year was improved from last year - better bus system, better lighting on the course, more entertainment on the course and some cool effects. That was really good to see. The problems for me remain the same as last year: it's too hot and humid for me, the course isn't great and the after-party doesn't enough to offset the hour for me.

That said, it was GREAT to be able to spend time with JenB and George pre-race. Always fun. And if we could make a real weekend out of it, a social one, I could be talked into it again. I'm not sure how DOOD feels.

And of course, Towpath Marathon didn't happen due to gov't shutdown. We went anyway, and it was great to see WISH friends - including Jen - in a memorial to a WISHer much missed. I'd like to do Towpath someday but the rescheduled dates just don't work with the work schedules.

So DOOD and I are sticking with the training schedules for WDW Marathon Weeekend we have and don't think we'll pick up another race in the fall unless its hyperlocal. We're doing the half, screaming the full. We've had to re-arrange our holiday and race travel schedule due to...you guessed it...work. DOOD's university shifted the winter semester calendar on everyone, moving it up by a week. Yay us.

On the other hand, we still get to go to WDW, so YAY us! :rotfl2:

Other news: I applied to the Disney Moms Panel. It's an annual tradition for me, much like watching the Detroit Lions lose on Thanksgiving. This year I made it to round two. A bit odd, on so many levels...especially making a video of oneself. I don't like seeing photos of myself so you can all imagine how much fun I had. Turns out I'm an eye-roller. :lmao:

How's everyone doing? :) Any Thanksgiving plans shaping up and/or Turkey trots?

I hear Richard had an absolutely fabulous Disney cruise and JenB is volunteering for WDW Marathon Weekend. :cool1:

For those who did Wine & Dine, what did you think about it? We enjoyed ToT but I do have the itch to try this race.

Right now, though, I'm taking a few days off running. I fell off my porch - long story, which involves me doing something stupid as usual - and I have a bruise and soon-to-be scar to remember it by. Why don't I ever injure myself doing something heroic? :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter