• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Talk Me Out of Boardwalk

Haha C'mon you know coming on here you will never ever get talked OUT of buying a resort that you already said you love! It never works!🤣 If anything, we will convince you to buy sooner or more points!

Like others have said, 18 years is still a long time and none of us know what's ahead of us. If you love it and for sure will be staying there, I don't see a reason to worry about the expiration and you will have precious priceless memories with your family for 18 more years at that resort. I'm team buy it! ::yes::
Y'all are a bunch of enablers. 😂 18years is a lot of time, but I struggle with the idea of running out of points when I hit 72. Maybe I'll be sick of Disney by then? Not likely!

If you want someone to say this is a terrible idea then you might want to ask @pkrieger2287 as he is selling his as he has got the under 20 year itch and wants to get rid of it ☹️

Personally, I say go for it, we love it and the point chart. We only have 70 points and it is still enough for 5 night a year studio stay
Paul and Amy aren't happy with the refurb. I actually love it. That under 20 year itch is a thing though!

I love the Boardwalk. I’ve had the same internal struggle about buying there myself. The end result is that financially it makes no sense, and while some say DVC makes no financial sense to begin with, I was able to justify it, but not at a 2042 resort. You could always rent your points and then rent a reservation or points from a BW owner.

Why do you feel the Beach Club is so much nicer.than the Boardwalk?
The Pool.

I actually like the theming of the Boardwalk better - partly because I’m free MA and the Beach & Yacht Club are themed to Cape Cod. The theming is spot on, but this also doesn’t make me feel like I’ve escaped from New England, lol - but hands down I love Stormalong Bay and really wish Disney would build more lazy rivers at their resorts. It was why I was so excited about Reflections, as I much prefer “wilderness themed.”

Y'all are a bunch of enablers. 😂 18years is a lot of time, but I struggle with the idea of running out of points when I hit 72. Maybe I'll be sick of Disney by then? Not likely!
So buy two contracts,’one for Boardwalk, one for another resort with a longer timeframe. Switch off every other year. Then you’ll still have points left in 18 years….

That’s how we started down the dark path of addonitis. We owned BRV because we loved it. Added AKV because we also loved it. Realized we didn’t want to risk not being able to get into the Wilderness Lodge once we were past 2024, so added on at CCV…

Dues are around $8.67 dues, $5 opportunity that you could have earned parking the money in a 5% money market or bond fund… that gets you close to $13pp. We know the contract will be worth $0 in 2042

So $4 to $7 is the fixed spread vs renting at $17 to $20.

$4x 17 years = $68pp
$7x 17 years = $119pp

$104pp to $116pp seems to be the average price depending on the size of the contract.

Pretty slim margins vs renting….

Could the cost of renting go up in the future…. yes…. but you also don’t have to pay $25,000 + closing costs upfront…
All excellent points. Thank you for spelling that out for me.

So buy two contracts,’one for Boardwalk, one for another resort with a longer timeframe. Switch off every other year. Then you’ll still have points left in 18 years….

That’s how we started down the dark path of addonitis. We owned BRV because we loved it. Added AKV because we also loved it. Realized we didn’t want to risk not being able to get into the Wilderness Lodge once we were past 2024, so added on at CCV…
That's clever! I hadn't thought of that.

Sometimes I think I should have purchased the 2042 resorts. My wife and I made our first purchase when we were 65 and that would be plenty of time for us. I figured I would add my daughter as an owner so we should buy a resort with a later expiration date. We ended up buying at SSR after not being successful on several BLT bids.

It is more than likely my daughter will be the sole owner so hopefully it will work for her until 2054.

We added on at BWV 100 pts direct at $200/pt (ouch). It was an emotional purchase, and we could afford that and we accept that. Life is too short to not enjoy the fruits of your labor. Our BWV points are only used at BWV and it is by far our favorite resort since post-Covid restart. We'll be 84 when the resort expires, so the 18 years left is perfect for us. We'll still have our 160 BLT points to use. Our only regret is that we didn't add on to BWV sooner. With the skyliner, the standard rooms have a really nice view for having your morning coffee on the balcony. BWV point charts are IMO the best value for your $$.

I'm sure as the end date nears, renting will be very lucrative for BWV owners; although we don't intend to rent our points.

Hopefully you are looking at Resale vs. Direct for these BWV points.

I like the dual smaller contract purchase idea. Only youcan decide for your needs, so either way enjoy the process. And remember that in 50 years, this just won't matter.

I own and love Boardwalk. Not concerned about 2042 as I am 64 right now. Plan to put them all in a trust at some point and had over the trust to my nieces and nephews as I have no children. Grand nieces now as well.

Y'all are a bunch of enablers. 😂 18years is a lot of time,
hehe this is my favorite meme to use here...I can't even deny it! :rotfl2:

1707234716780.png

but I struggle with the idea of running out of points when I hit 72. Maybe I'll be sick of Disney by then? Not likely!
If you don't buy it, think about for the next time when you're sitting at AKL or VGF, you'll be like "wish we could be staying at Boardwalk now!". 18 very happy years is better than 0 years! You know it's true😉 #DisneyMathAlwaysMakeSense 😂

The reasons we bought Boardwalk-

Renting BW is hard if you don’t want a 1BR or don’t want to pay the point premium of BW View yet only get Pool/Garden View. Standard and BW View for Studio and 2BR is hard to get, and usually means paying a higher rental price per point. Renting also means little control over your reservation; owning has a less risk if you need to move dates and likely more options to avoid losing your money. Renting is also unpredictable long term since it appears DVC may be cracking down on the volume.

Instead of looking at the absolute cheapest ways to buy-in to DVC, we looked at acceptable costs for what we particularly wanted. BW shined here because of the point chart. The only way we’re going to get 9-10pt/night studio or those truly economical 2BRs with any regularity is buying at BWV. So what if buy-in is $6pp and dues near $9pp? Still means studio at $135 or $150/nt for 25% of the year!

Obviously that’s not always going to be the case but even when BWV comes out more expensive than other options, it is often not by much. The question becomes- Would it be worth it to you to save 10% a night in compromise to not staying at BW? For us that was no. I’d gladly pay something like an extra $30/nt to stay at BW over the cheaper options. Didn’t have to be the most economical, it had to be a good deal for what WE want.

So far we’ve used our BW like this (using $16pt cost between buyin and dues):
Oct Std View Studio 14pts/nt ($224/nt)
Dec BW View Studio 16pts/nt ($256/nt)
May Std View Studio 9pts/nt ($144/nt)

Now there’s also TVM, time value of money. While BW contract is shorter, you’re also paying less TVM by not paying today toward vacations in 2055 and 2060 lol. Yes the big difference would be having zero salvage value shortly after 2040 vs having a contract with 15 to 20 yrs left to sell. But to us, the TVM was very acceptable on BWV purchase. Our personal calculations put BWV around $20pp total for us to use each point (buyin, dues, tvm). Let’s run cost again:
Oct Std View Studio 14pts/nt ($280/nt)
Dec BW View Studio 16pts/nt ($320/nt)
May Std View Studio 9pts/nt ($180/nt)

^This is all that mattered in the end. An acceptable cost for where we love to stay. We plan to use BWV to the end.

I say don't buy due to expiration date.

I reluctantly say this because even though BCV is a home resort (and love it a lot), we stay at BWV A LOT as my often-traveling partner adult daughter absolutely loves it there and is her favorite. I appreciate her coming with me so many times when Dh isn't able/doesn't want to go so we go to BWV and adore it.

Even though I personally have a reason not to add to my BCV and Poly with BWV due to old age, it honestly would annoy me that there's so few years left. It would kill me when they take it back.

Just my 2 cents.

We made BWV our first DVC purchase in 2023. Started small and then larger better priced contracts appeared. Now we have 350 pts but might toss back our expensive 50pt'er later this year.

Id say do it... and dont let others talk of Paul and Amy's decision as they are younger, Floridians, and have dogs.
Im more upset at the Cake bake Shop and Big River grille happenings than the color of the walls that we dont see 80% of the time when the lights are off and we are sleeping.

Setup some searches on dvcsearch.com and wait for the perfect contract (and price). We picked up a June 200 pt this December for $92.50/pt which put us in the poor house, but couldnt pass up!

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter