Taking our autism service dog to WDW

batt01

Mouseketeer
We are so excited to be receiving our service dog next month (his name is Lucky) for our four-year-old daughter with autism.

We are a big Disney family and have been to the world many times. Our last trip was so magical for our daughter. Disney rolled out the red carpet for her and for three wonderful, magical days she acted like a typical four-year-old.

We would like to begin planning our next trip for 2006 but this time would like to bring our new dog.

Anyone out there have advice for bringing a service dog? Anyone ever brought a service dog specifically trainned for autistics?

Thanks!

There are a couple of people who come to this board frequently who have taken service dogs to WDW.
You can find some information at the official WDW website.
A few things I remember seeing posted by people who have taken service dogs to WDW are that:
  • there are some attractions where dogs are not allowed (mostly ones where the special effects, noises and atmosphere would be uncomfortable and/or dangerous for a dog). You do need a member of your party to stay with the dog on those attractions, but they can handle it like child swap.
  • the concrete surfaces are hard on the dogs feet.
  • all the walking involved in a WDW trip may be more than the dog is used to (just like people).
Hopefully, some of the people with service animals will come by and give you some first hand advice.

This is new to me, what does a service dog do for an autistic child? My sister in law is blind and has had 2 dogs that are wonderful. Just wondered what they are trained to do for an autistic child. This is very interesting!

Ask DCLFun about taking a service dog to the parks. She just recieved hers and today was his first time in MGM. Seemed to be no problem for him to be there with her. Also there is another person who has taken her dog to the parks as well. And my best friend takes her guide/hearing dog with her as well. You should have no problems but others can give you more detailed information.

thumpersfriend said:
This is new to me, what does a service dog do for an autistic child? My sister in law is blind and has had 2 dogs that are wonderful. Just wondered what they are trained to do for an autistic child. This is very interesting!

I'd also like to know!

Julia

Selket said:
I saw this thread and couldn't help but note that there are service dogs availalbe for type 1 diabetics that can "alert" to lows: http://www.heavenscentpaws.com/

This doesn't surprise me because both my dog who is a pet and my friends dog which is a guide/hearing dog will react to us having lows. My dog will start nudging me and whining and if I won't respond will find someone else in the house and start bugging them to go with her to me. My friend's dog als will start nudging her and if she gets no response she will start barking until she gets someone's attention (apartment bldg) and will also pull the call cord in the bathroom(apartment bldg is for special needs resisdents).

I love seeing the service dogs at the parks. We have even met some who are not even service dogs yet...but there with their humans to become used to noise and crowds.

I always ask to meet a service dog....I am sure alot of other people do. Guess it is because we miss our pets so much...I know that is the reason.

One thing I have read...make sure the dog has a way to stay cool and hydrated...also I think alot of people put special little shoes on their paws to protect them from overuse and hot pavement.

I saw one little fella....obviously not for a sight impaired person....riding on his human's ECR...right between his feet....didn't get to meet that little guy...but really wish I had!

I am also interesting in hearing about what your dog does for your daughter....will keep an eye on this thread!

Selket said:
I saw this thread and couldn't help but note that there are service dogs availalbe for type 1 diabetics that can "alert" to lows: http://www.heavenscentpaws.com/
I haven't heard of alert dogs for diabetics, but I have seen news stories of seizure alert dogs that can give warning to someone with epilepsy that a seizure is about to occur. That allows the person to move to a safe place.
From what I have heard, the "alerting" is not really something they can teach a dog - they either have the skill or they don't. I guess what they do teach the dog is what to do to help the person.

I have heard of dogs specifically trained to help someone with autism. I don't know if the exact skills taught depend on the person with autism, but the dog I had heard of was sort of a guide to keep the child away from dangerous situations or wandering off and to alert someone if there was a need for assistance. The child I heard about was able to relate more easily to the dog than to people and the dog helped pull him out of staying in his own world.

As Lisa said, yesterday was my black lab service dog female's first trip to MGM Studios- where she was very excited to meet some DIS friends!!!!! She does well but I can tell she's a bit overwhelmed by all the sights and sounds, so we're taking it slowly in small doses. I know at this point she'd be exhausted from a full day in the parks, so if you DO bring a new SD make sure it's used to that level of activity and a full day of work. Pavement is very hot, so get used to looking for shaded pathways and/or bring the doggie boots that are all weather.

I was told that WDW CM's would offer water and an appropriate place backstage for a potty break ( most service dogs take breaks on command) however not once during my prior visit to Epcot ( four hours) did anyone do that. I had my own way to give her water ( hung one of my feeding pump water bags full of water then I could open it with the "switch" to fill a bowl. I have a collapsible bowl attached to my chair. We had stopped in First Aid at Epcot first to get some water but they only had the cone sized paper cups which really don't work for a big dog. Bottom line....be prepared. Know when the dog has "had enough" and take frequent rest breaks. Be sure you're bonded and trained well with the dog at home before you venture into new territory as the dog's needs will end up taking precedence over your vacation plans at first when it's a new situation.

Lynda ( Videogal1) has travelled frequently with her SD Cash so she is far more experienced than I am- she might have some better advice.
Kathy

SueM in MN said:
......I have heard of dogs specifically trained to help someone with autism. I don't know if the exact skills taught depend on the person with autism, but the dog I had heard of was sort of a guide to keep the child away from dangerous situations or wandering off and to alert someone if there was a need for assistance. The child I heard about was able to relate more easily to the dog than to people and the dog helped pull him out of staying in his own world.

Exactly:)

The leash is held by the child or parent - and there's another attachment from the child to the dog that is tied around the child's waist. If the child is prone to running or wandering, the dog is trained to act as an anchor.

Other dogs for children with autism are trained as therapy dogs...our boys have many sensory issues, and simply petting our new dog "Rufus", is amazingly therapeutic for them. He goes everywhere with us, and we're learning as much as he is. Rufus will receive ongoing training, as our boys grow. And just having a puppy is opening up a whole new world for our guys :teeth:

Life is good:)

:sunny:

Visit northstardogs.com for great information regarding service dogs for autistic and special needs children.

I would like to mention that our dog, Lucky, has been donated to us by the very generous "Du Bose Foundation" and the University of Virginia Childrens' Hospital. Lucky will live with us and be trainned as our autistic child's dog and will attend school with her (an ABA-based private school for autistic children) and work with the 20 students there as well. We have been very blessed by this gift!

Batt01 - Wow - I am just amazed by the stories on this thread regarding what dogs can do! We have a vision impaired daughter that I am hoping some day will have a service dog, but I was told she needs ? years of cane training before she can be eligable for a service dog. Anyway, just want to say we got our Newfie, Tatum, last year and she has just been such a BLESSING to us in so many ways - good luck with your Lucky. Enjoy her!

Lives4Disney :earsgirl:

I would love a service dog for my autistic son. I've read a good bit about them in the past. We have two dogs already and I don't think a third would be a good mix. I contacted one organization. They said it could work, but would be more difficult.
One thing that I read about the autism service dogs is that it also helps socialization. With the ones that I read about, they do not have a sign like some that say, "working, please don't pet me" or whatever it says. But has a sign with something opposite "I'm friendly and love attention" something like that. Then, people will come over to the dog and is a way for the child to begin a social exchange. (I don't know how the "stranger" concept is handled. I know there must be more to it.) The site I contacted, sorry I can't remember it "charged" the same for service dogs for all disabilities, but the autism service dogs cost the most to train. You didn't really pay for the dog, they required that you do fundraisers with their help to purchase the dog (of course if you had the cash, I think it was $10K, you could have your instant own fundraiser and be done with it.)
Certainly not helping with the ? about taking the dog to Disney, but I think the idea of service dogs for autistics is such an exciting idea that I had to post. :banana:

I don't know of any organizations that charge the client for a dog but there do have to be funds available- and that can always vary. I didn't have a wait at all for Skye but consider myself very lucky in that respect. Some organizations have waiting lists and you simply wait your turn, others prioritize the list so that those who are most in need get a dog first ( I'm sure this is what happened in my case!). There are web lists of service dog providers and who they provide to ( ie: visual, hearing, seizure alert, mobility/disability/social/autism). You might want to apply to several if there are waiting lists. Dog's have some of the same sensitivities as autistic children- heightened sense of smell, hearing...I know Skye will react to movement way off in the horizon that I've never noticed, and of course they love "unconditionally". Kathy

I think I found the organization I am referring to, but don't think I should I should list as their site is down and I am going by memory. PM me if you want info. But, I remember that they made it very clear (moreso than my post) that you are not purchasing the dog, but contributing as a volunteer to the organization in order to receive one. Sort of like Habitat for Humanity, you are not just given a house, you have to help build it, too. They help you with fundraisers and expect you to do the work. I just meant if you happened to have the money you could say (and I think they imply this somewhere)" I am having a fundraiser and I personally donate $10K" that's one heck of a lemonade stand ;) . Memory isn't the greatest, but I think it said it usually takes a family 2 years to raise the money with their help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter