Table Service Restaurants for 1st Timers

Our ADR list:
Chef Art Smith's Homecomin: never been
The Boathouse: never been
Sci-Fi Drive-In: never been
'Ohana: it will be our 2nd visit

Robber Barron made an excellent point upthread. Added in Boma - late breakfast

Last edited:
Had dinner at Space 220 tonight and while it was tasty, the price is really up there. There are a few discounts available. They take 10% off for AP holders during lunch, but it is 10% off for DVC members during dinner. Did not know this, but since I am both, it was not a problem. Also, suppose you have a 4:00 PM reservation, like I did. This is considered dinner and unlike all other WDW restaurants, you don't check in 20 minutes prior, you show up at 4:00 PM and wait around a bit before you can get on the elevator and enter the restaurant.

What’s “wrong” with homecoming? I see it recommended all the time and have thought to try it. Admittedly I wouldn’t know good southern cooking if it bit me in the….
That man does not season his chicken.

I'm a native NYer but my family roots are deep in SC and I grew up on soul food and Homecomin' was a one and done for me. I wouldn't quite go as far as comparing it to Cracker Barrel, because I think the sides are a bit better (and it's sure not Cracker Barrel prices!), but that place is raved about largely by people who don't know any better. If you're used to that cuisine, it's a disappointment.

I agree with the advice to prioritize the truly unique, heavily themed type of experiences for first timers...we are taking one next year, a dear friend of ours, and that's our plan. Stuff like Hoop Dee Doo, 50s Primetime, etc. The food may not be out of this world (little of it is at Disney), but it's decently enjoyable and they're quintessentially Disney experiences you can't get elsewhere.

I think that for first timers its fun to schedule some Disney themed restaurants. We are taking my DGD's gf in august for her first real Disney trip and my DGD has made a few requests for us. They are both 22, but some of these have been DGD's favorite restaurants for years.

We like Garden Grill for a character experience. You get the classic characters and food is brought to the table. We prefer breakfast, but dinner is nice as well.

Narcoossees at the Grand. We plan dinner so that we can enjoy the fireworks after dinner.

Be Our Guest in MK if you want a "Castle" experience

Tratorria Al Forno on the Boardwalk

Skipper Canteen in MK theming is awesome and food is good

This year we are going to Steakhouse 71. Dining in the CR is a must for us. This one is new to us so I can only recommend it by location.

Don't discount counter service restaurants. If you want to resort hop and don't want to pay table service prices, the resort CS restaurants are a nice option. Mara in DAK is lovely.

Ok my usual based on the kids just have to eat where the adults eat cause the kids food is all the same in general.

Our tops right now vs past trips. 3 trips past 11 months this year so far.

Flying fish
Citricos
Topolino dinner
Narcoossee
Jiko (I’ll put it on but our last meal was so so but we have eaten here 15 years and it has always been awesome. No idea what happened that night)
Il Molino
Morimoto
Polite pig for whenever quick
Boathouse
Steakhouse 71 for lunch. (Burger still good but deff deff not as good when they opened either.)
Animal kingdom avatar quick service. Solid!

And the steaks in Disney signatures are mhhhh anymore. No originality. All the same from a central place not like years ago when the chefs were sourcing ingredients. Covid killed that.

I will say flying fish strip is still good and the strip at narcoossee’s is very very good from our last meal.

Food has taken a real hit since Covid I think. Thank goodness the parks are starting to have some solid solid snacking things going on.

I think that for first timers its fun to schedule some Disney themed restaurants. We are taking my DGD's gf in august for her first real Disney trip and my DGD has made a few requests for us. They are both 22, but some of these have been DGD's favorite restaurants for years.

We like Garden Grill for a character experience. You get the classic characters and food is brought to the table. We prefer breakfast, but dinner is nice as well.

Narcoossees at the Grand. We plan dinner so that we can enjoy the fireworks after dinner.

This year we are going to Steakhouse 71. Dining in the CR is a must for us. This one is new to us so I can only recommend it by location.

Don't discount counter service restaurants. If you want to resort hop and don't want to pay table service prices, the resort CS restaurants are a nice option. Mara in DAK is lovely.

Traitorria was solid last trip at Easter.

Counter service at connections is good.

How is Be our Guest for lunch? We loved the breakfast but the lunch menu looks a bit too sophisticated for my 12 year old (and super expensive!)

How is Be our Guest for lunch? We loved the breakfast but the lunch menu looks a bit too sophisticated for my 12 year old (and super expensive!)
The last time I had lunch at BOG was December 2019. It was a counter service option at that time.

I cannot speak to whether your 12 YO would enjoy it enough to justify the cost. I can tell you i had 2 13 YO girls with em and they loved every signature meal we went to. My DGD did as well. Every kid is different, so cost vs value for anyone is personal.

For first timers, I recommend that they use the table dining as a break. Proximity to where they are or will be is important. So a midday break in or near a park works well or, if they go back to their resort (nap or pool time) and have park hopper, going out for dinner is also great.

No place is worth it for the food alone at Disney imo.

I like theme and that is what makes Disney special. I suggest a variety. Like one meal with Mickey and friends, one with face characters (CRT or Akersus or 1900 PF), one with interactions (50 PT or Whispering Canyon for example), maybe one with a show/demo/movie (Teppan Edo, Biergarden, Sci-Fi, HDD), one in a dark place, some AYCE, some you can eat a sundae for dinner if you’d like (Beaches n Cream), etc

I once had a friend that had booked Sci-Fi, St-Angel, T-Rex etc… and they were so tired of eating in the dark. So I added that to my list of redundancies to avoid.

The experiences should make them try something different everytime, fit well in their itinerary and include some of their food preferences.

New DISboards Posts

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest