Switched hotels -Tell me it will be alright

Vicki Rickerd

Mouseketeer
So yesterday I booked our flights to Orlando and noticed if we returned the next day, it was a little bit cheaper. Excited about the trip, I opted to save a little, fly back a day later and extend our stay one night. Tonight I called to book another night and because the promotion had ended the price was considerably more. Trying to keep costs down since I am footing the bill for he family for Christmas I asked for other deals. He found me 2 rooms at the Portofino for about 1/2 what it would have been if I stayed at the Royal Pacific. Being the practical person I am, I took it, but am now having second thoughts.

The reviews for the Royal Pacific are what had me staying there and it seemed to fit us. It sounds like a relaxed laid back resort. Pictures of the Portofino have me a little disappointed in my decision. Someone put my mind at ease.

So yesterday I booked our flights to Orlando and noticed if we returned the next day, it was a little bit cheaper. Excited about the trip, I opted to save a little, fly back a day later and extend our stay one night. Tonight I called to book another night and because the promotion had ended the price was considerably more. Trying to keep costs down since I am footing the bill for he family for Christmas I asked for other deals. He found me 2 rooms at the Portofino for about 1/2 what it would have been if I stayed at the Royal Pacific. Being the practical person I am, I took it, but am now having second thoughts.

The reviews for the Royal Pacific are what had me staying there and it seemed to fit us. It sounds like a relaxed laid back resort. Pictures of the Portofino have me a little disappointed in my decision. Someone put my mind at ease.

Portofino is my favourite of all of the hotels.

I’ve come to really like them both and go with whichever is the least expensive. I would have jumped at 1/2 off and been happy as a lark!

I’ve come to really like them both and go with whichever is the least expensive. I would have jumped at 1/2 off and been happy as a lark!
Yes this increase at Royal Pacific would have been about $700 and I booked the Portifino for only $200 more than my original total with the extra night.

Happy to hear that you like them both. I am unfortunately one of those OCD people when doing things for others and want to make it perfect. Kind of glad that everyone says you dont need to plan much with a Universal vacation and just go with the flow.

Royal would have to be pretty great to be worth double. I wouldn't worry too much about your decision.

We love Portofino more. But will stay at Royal Pacific if it is a bit cheaper than Portofino.

You can not go wrong with either of the Lowes resort. If you just miss the boat to Universal, I would take the shortcut through the Hard rock parking lot. You will get to the front gate of Universal before the people on the boat get to the same as spot. Or you can wait for the next boats as another one comes in 15 min or so.

Portofino is a beautiful hotel........

And it really is as laid back as RPR. It’s not stuffy at all and staff are just as friendly and helpful.......we always visit PBH every visit, for either food at Sal’s or just to have a wander around. The other food choices don’t impress us but Sal’s is fabulous.

The rooms are lovely too.

Don’t worry too much, I think you’ll enjoy it there just as much as you would enjoy RP.

Portofino is a beautiful hotel........

And it really is as laid back as RPR. It’s not stuffy at all and staff are just as friendly and helpful.......we always visit PBH every visit, for either food at Sal’s or just to have a wander around. The other food choices don’t impress us but Sal’s is fabulous.

The rooms are lovely too.

Don’t worry too much, I think you’ll enjoy it there just as much as you would enjoy RP.
Love Sals. Our last night we took our food outside to a table in the Piazza and listened to the singers. Perfect ending to our trip.

We love Portofino. If you miss the boat or don’t want to wait we’ve used the pedi cabs. They work on tips.

Portofino is amazing. I second Sal’s, especially the classic Italian sub! Mama Della’s is quite lovely inside, and delicious.

It’s very relaxing! The way it’s set up it feels open, peaceful, and un-crowded.

Hi we just stayed at PBH this June and loved it. It is an amazing hotel with facilities. I chose it over RPR due to the price and the club level. Now my family only wants to stay there!!

I have been planning to stay at the Royal Pacific in February but when it came time to book I switched to Portofino. I like the way it looks better but it’s creating a mental challenge to switch my thinking to Portofino instead! Just had to add I understand the worry, but I know it will be a fabulous stay!

I have been planning to stay at the Royal Pacific in February but when it came time to book I switched to Portofino. I like the way it looks better but it’s creating a mental challenge to switch my thinking to Portofino instead! Just had to add I understand the worry, but I know it will be a fabulous stay!

Thanks! I am glad someone else understands. Its going to be great no matter what - well as long as it doesnt pour all day every day like the last time we were in Florida.

Portofino is my favorite. Feels just like Italy. I think Portofino is way more relaxed than RPR. It's a little more remote and feels like it's not part of the parks. People like to sit outside near the small lake and eat and drink. I think the pool there is more relaxing too. Plus, there are multiple pools. They are all really great, and I would pick them over almost any Disney hotel any day.

Why not try one of the cheaper hotels? Sapphire, Aventura, Cabana, you'll still have express on checkout day, since you're trying to keep costs down?

Why not try one of the cheaper hotels? Sapphire, Aventura, Cabana, you'll still have express on checkout day, since you're trying to keep costs down?

It is a short trip, only 4 days, so I needed to book at a hotel with express pass. We have only been to Universal one other time and it poured the whole time so we didnt see much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter