Sweet Spot in April

KittyQ

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone! We came back from our first ever trip to Disney World a couple of weeks ago. What can I say - we LOVED it!! Soooo… we are looking into planning a trip for next year. Now since we just went in mid-September it was HOT. I was super sensible, made sure to stay hydrated and had electrolyte tablets with me and yet I still managed to suffer from heat exhaustion on our last day. It really does sneak up on you. Also it was kinda annoying to have to plan your days around the heat. So ideally we'd like somewhat more comfortable weather for our next trip. I originally wanted to go in February, the boyfriend wants May (which I think would be too hot). We compromised on April. What's important to me is not being at risk for heat injury after 3 minutes outside and not feeling like you're dying walking through World Showcase. We are looking at 9 days plus arrival and departure day. Easter is March 31 so will also have to keep crowds in mind. Will spring break crowds last throughout the whole month of April? Is there a sweet spot in terms of both weather and crowds in April?

Not really sure on the sweet spot, but schools up in the Northeast have a week of vacation from 4/15- 4/19. Everyone goes to Disney.
Thanks for the heads up! I was thinking of heading there around the 20th.

We've had good luck with April visits, temperature wise. You can get pretty warm in the afternoon, but the evenings and mornings are comfortable. The EPCOT flower bloom is very pretty.

April is gorgeous at WDW! I’d expect average crowds and the parks in full swing helping to absorb them. We always start planning with putting MK on a Wed or Thurs as those are usually the best days in any given week (outside the fall party season). Have you decided on a resort yet?

We've had good luck with April visits, temperature wise. You can get pretty warm in the afternoon, but the evenings and mornings are comfortable. The EPCOT flower bloom is very pretty.
Glad to hear that! The Flower & Garden Festival looks gorgeous! I would love for us to be able to take our time looking at all the flower displays and stuff like the tea garden in the UK pavillion. With the heat we experienced in September that just wouldn't be doable, it was absolutely brutal.

Just a warning. April weather at WDW can be all over the place. We've been 2nd to last week as well as last week into start of may twice (once for our wedding). It can be nice some days and hot others, this past year it was supposed to be in the 70s and many days was upper 80s closer to 90.

Just be aware, that is all I am saying. Have fun planning and I hope you have the best trip next year! :)

April is gorgeous at WDW! I’d expect average crowds and the parks in full swing helping to absorb them. We always start planning with putting MK on a Wed or Thurs as those are usually the best days in any given week (outside the fall party season). Have you decided on a resort yet?
No, we haven't. We just did a split stay, POFQ and the GF. I didn't like that the GF was so far away from everything (besides MK obviously) and the QS was too small for our liking. Loved the boats, found the Monorail somewhat underwhelming, hated the buses and having to stop at the Poly. We did love being able to easily get to the other resorts though and enjoyed the pools. POFQ was nice but besides Riverside you need to use Uber/Lyft to get to other resorts/restaurants. Ideally we would like lots of dining options and a nice pool. MK was a one day park for us, though we'd like to spend two evenings there (loved HEA). We spent much more time at the other parks. I was thinking maybe a skyliner or Epcot resort?

Just a warning. April weather at WDW can be all over the place. We've been 2nd to last week as well as last week into start of may twice (once for our wedding). It can be nice some days and hot others, this past year it was supposed to be in the 70s and many days was upper 80s closer to 90.

Just be aware, that is all I am saying. Have fun planning and I hope you have the best trip next year! :)
I would really prefer February but the boyfriend HATES the idea of going in February. Did you find the heat more bearable than in September? It is supposed to be less humid, isn't it?

Thank you so much!! :)

We went in April 2021 and it was terribly hot. I don't trust April for weather. Of course, in Orlando you never know. But I avoid April now.

I would really prefer February but the boyfriend HATES the idea of going in February. Did you find the heat more bearable than in September? It is supposed to be less humid, isn't it?

Thank you so much!! :)
February can get cold most everywhere in the South, even in Orlando. Also, know that the period prior to spring break is often when attractions are taken down for maintenance.

February can get cold most everywhere in the South, even in Orlando. Also, know that the period prior to spring break is often when attractions are taken down for maintenance.
I'm weird and actually like cold weather haha Not an option anyway since the boyfriend doesn't want to go on a sunny vacation in what is winter where we are.

Just be aware, NYC has spring break from April 22 - 30th next year, which basically means Spring Break starts in early to mid March, and will last the entire month of April.

I go almost every year in February and have had great weather- little or no rain, temps reasonable or even cold, humidity manageable. I went last year in April and lucked out in terms of rain, temp and humidity but YMMV. Just returned from a September visit- humidity, rain and temps made me vow to never go back at that time of year again!

Before taking kids out of school became too much of an issue, early May was great for us. Weather was more consistent, but definitely on the warmer side (travelling from Buffalo, NY that was a welcome problem). Rates across the board were lower than other months; car rental, hotel rooms, flights, DVC point rentals. EVERYTHING was less expensive. And probably most important, we missed all the traditional school breaks.

We have a trip planned for early March 2024 and I am very curious for the crowd / weather comparison.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter