• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Swapping Points in Existing Reservation to make room for another reservation

schultzywi

Earning My Ears
DVC Silver
I have a reservation in January of 2025 that used the remainder of my 2024 points and some borrowed points from 2025 (I have December UY). So I currently have 0 2024 points but have some remaining for 2025. I have to be in Orlando in July for a work trip and was thinking of adding on a few days and there is plenty of availability on the days I am looking at. If I called Member Services, would they be able to update my January reservation to use more 2025 points so I can use some 2024 points this July? I know I can use OTU points, but since the limit is 24, I would have more options if I could swap the points in my existing reservation. Thanks.

So this July falls in your December 2023 use year. You have 0 points in your Dec 2024 use year currently which happens to be the time when your January 2025 reservation falls.

What you need to do is free up points that were allocated to your Dec 2024 use year (not banked/borrowed) from your January reservation. You need to know exactly how many of the points you spent on your Jan 2025 reservation came from your December 2024 use year.

Assuming you have enough Dec 2024 UY (not banked 2023/borrowed 2025) points to cover your July trip AND you have enough points to borrow from your Dec 2025 UY to replace those Dec 2024 points for your January 2025 trip you can make this work.

1. Borrow your points from December 2025 by reserving a date that is past 12/1/24. Try to book the exact amount of points you need for the July trip so you don't over-borrow. Doesn't matter what resort you book or how many resorts you need, just borrow the amount you need for your July trip. I guess technically 12/1/24 is still currently home resort period at the time I'm writing this so it'd have to be your home resort that gets you there but really any combination of studios/1/2/3BR you need to get to the point total you need.

2. Cancel the dummy reservations. You will now have the points you need to replace the December 2024 use year points that are in your January trip. All you need to do to free them from the January reservation is go into the reservation and then modify the trip and click all the way through to the end without changing anything. The system will pick up the borrowed December 2025 and spare the December 2024 points.

3. Finally, you can borrow the December 2024 points into your December 2023 use year and book your July trip.

I apologize if this is confusing but I hope it helps. This is the process you'd do to be able to do this on your own. You can try to ask member services to help you out with this, but YMMV if they're willing to go through this for you.

Last edited:
December use years are weird because they are basically 11 months off. You are currently iin your 2023 December use year. If you are traveling in July of 2024, you need to have 2023 use year points or borrow 2024 points. Your January 2025 reservation is using your 2024 points, and (I assume) borrowed 2025 points. You want to borrow more 2025 points for your January reservation, to free up your December 2024 points so you can borrow then to July 2024, correct?

Member Services should be able to do that for you.

As mentioned borrowing can only happen when you make a reservation and are out of current UY points.

All you need to do is make a fake trip after Dec 1st to borrow the points, cancel, and reallocate this into January.

Those will free yp the 2024 for you to borrow for the July trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter