Swan/Dolphin/AKL?

epcotitis

Mouseketeer
Hi,
We are trying to decide on a special resort for our 15th anniversary. We made our first trip to WDW for our honeymoon and want to stay someplace special. We love EPCOT, but will be travelling with the benefits of 15 years of marriage...DD, DS, DS! We have stayed at many resorts. Our family favorite is POFQ. I would like to try something new. We haven't stayed at the Swan, Dolphin or AKL. So, I'm up for the suggestions! All are welcome. The prices I have on the three resorts will be aboutthe same. I have a ressie at a discount at AKL now and can get the teacher special for the others....just don't know what to pick.
Deb,

won't be suffering long...

Congrats on 15 years! This is a tough choice. If you are animal people, then AKL would be great, & their transportation is not shared, so it should be pretty quick to all the parks. The Swan was just redone, & I believe all the rooms have "heavenly beds". The Dolphin is currently be renovated, & I'm not sure when you are going & if the rooms will all be ready. If you join the starwood rewards, www.spg.com, you will be able to get point towards a "free" upgrade, or, as a preferred guest, if there is an available room you can get a free upgrade.

So I guess I really didn't help you, but I hope the info was new for you.

:Pinkbounc

The Dolphin is one of my favorite resorts. You should definitley stay there because you said you love Epcot and it is just a short boat ride away. The Dolphin has excellent service as well as transportation.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. However we just had the most wondrful stay at AKL!! We loved everything about the hotel. It is trully a unique experience with the animals right there.

Good luck deciding!

Hey, Deb!! :p So you got hubby to give in to the Disney trip!! Awesome! I don't know a lot about Swan/Dolphin except for its location, but we stayed at AKL and it was wonderful! You truly feel like you've escaped to somewhere exotic. I'm actually torn b/c we have some DVC pts that have to be used, so we currently have ressies at YC, but I would love to stay at AKL again. How many nights are you staying? If you're feeling ambitious, you could always split your stay. Let me know what you decide (Isn't it great to have choices :Pinkbounc ) PM me with your travel dates--Hope you've figured out who this is! :rolleyes:

Can you carry over or save or bank points and use them next year? Like on a cruise? I don't know about using a bunch of points like on concierge...still trying to figure that attraction out.
Deb

Both are great resorts, I just got back from the swan today
and we loved it. We stayed at AKL last time and it was
wonderful but we had the Savanna view. If we couldn't
have that view ( and they were too expensive when I checked
into it this trip) I would go for the Swan, ask for the renovated
rooms, they are finishing the Swan now, don't think they
have started on the Dolphin yet. Being so close to Epcot
and MGM and boardwalk gives you all kinds of dinning choices
and the resorts have great places to eat too.
The pool for the kids is great, there is a waterfall and good
slide, a cool beach and paddle boats shapped like Swans you
can rent, or rent a surry and tour the boardwalk, all within
easy walking distance of the hotel.

Have fun whatever you choose,

Wintermom

Hmmm...

What about restaurants? I like Boardwalk and Beaches and Cream. I hear the restaurants at AKL are great. What about the Swan and Dolphin?

and then the pools...
We have 4 days at POFQ, but we usually split the stay. Which has the best pool? I have read some about the Grotto pool. Is the AKL pool anything neat?

thanks for your help. You guys are great!

When we stayed at the AKL I don't remember anything great
about the pool but of course looking at the animals from the
viewing area was fun. The pool at the Swan Dolphin was good.
We enjoyed playing in the waterfall, soaking in the hot tub and
sliding down the water slide was great fun. The beach between
the grotto pool and the swan was fun for my DD.
You can rent beach toys, play on
the beach playground, lounge in the hammocks ect.

There is lots of places to eat within easy walking distance
on the boardwalk as well as Yatch club Beach club. At the
dolphin we tried Shulas and a quick burger at the counter
but there are lots of choices. We had a rental car and drove
to dinner twice (once to animal kingdom lodge to eat at Jiko's)
We had eaten at Boma's last time and I wanted to try Jiko's
after hearing all the great reviews. I agree it was great.
You are a little isolated out at AKL will you have a car?
Wintermom

I don't consider AKL as isolated as most do. The bus transportation has been great, mostly because AKL does not share a bus route with any other resort. I believe it took less time to get back to AKL from Downtown Disney than it did to ride back to the Beach Club. A car would be useful for traveling to and from other resorts, but wouldn't be needed for the parks, unless the kids are stroller-age and you don't want to haul lots of stuff on the buses.

I like AKL enough to stay in a standard view room (I stayed in one last June and was lucky enough to be on the fifth floor). There are a lot of places to go and look at the animals, even though you'll only see the two-legged, non-feathered kind from your room balcony.

The only way you'd be isolated is in terms of restaurants. AKL's restaurants are all great, but if you consider it an integral part of your trip to go eat at many different resorts (as opposed to eating in the parks), go with the Epcot area.

I prefer the Swan to the Dolphin. It's an easy walk to Epcot and the Boardwalk - no need to take the slow boat to Epcot. There's easy access to the walking path to the Studios. This is the best thing in the world for getting back to the resort after Fantasmic lets out.

The Swolphin has a nice pool. It is long instead of wide and it may be difficult to watch young kids, unless you're in the pool with them all the time. Preteens and teenagers should love it.

I would decide based on a few things...
* location (where will you be spending most of your time?? If Epcot and MGM, then the Swan would be excellent as far as convenience!)
*theme

also, yes the restaurants at the AKL are great, but there are only 2, plus the counter service, at the Swan/Dolphin you have over 30 choices within walking distance. Between the Swan/Dolphin, Y&B Club, BW, Epcot (World Showcase) you have so many choices all within walking distance.

If you Love the theme of the AKL, (and it is amazing!!!!!!!) then go ahead and stay there, you may fnd the resort itself to be special enough.
If you are looking for a nice Resort with convenience, and a lot of options right at your finger tips for entertainment and dining, then the Swan might be a better choice.

The pool at the AKL is nice, but nothing special, The pool at the Swan is the Grotto pool, it is awesome.
plus the swan has quiet pools also.

I know it is a tough decision, but that is good, because that means, no matter which you choose, it will be a great choice!!! :)

Have fun!

Laura :)

4 days til WDW!!!!!!!!!! yippppeeeeee!! :) :) :) :) :D :D :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter