Surprise trip; how to get DD's books and assignments?

monalsw

<font color=blue>Had an embarassing SpongeBob mome
The kids don't now about this trip and I'm stymied as to how to get DD's schoolbooks and assignments to take with us! We will go about life as usual on Weds. and get up Thurs. am and tell them we're leaving. How can I get the books she'll need to do homework while there? She's 8th grade.
TIA

It all depends on how long you are going to be gone for. If you are going to be gone for an extended period of time, I know at my school (I'm a sixth grade teacher at a middle school) it needs to be a pre-arrange absence. Maybe you can work something out with the school so they keep it a secret. Good luck and I hope you have fun!

Good question monaslw - I was wondering the same thing myself, we are surprising our DS 11 and DD 8 in January and don't plan on telling them until we are out the door! I did just e-mail my daughter's teacher last night so I guess we will see what she says!

Thanks sdoane! We'll need to take her out for 8 days (eeek) and I will be contacting her teachers before Christmas break. Hopefully they will be able to help.

Let me know what you hear from the teachers, Kev's mom! This is quite a pleasant dillemma we have gotten ourselves into!

Any other ideas?

Ask the teachers if they could give YOU the assignments the weekend before the trip. Tell daughter you want her to bring all her books home that weekend. ( You could tell her you want her to down some extra studying or something). Using the list the teachers gave you, make copies of the pages she'll need to complete the assignments. This way you won't have to take the textbooks with you on vacations.

Maybe the teachers will make copies for you, or maybe one of your daughter's friends might do it.

another thing might be to tell her that you are going away for a long weekend somewhere nearby and that she needs to take her school books with her to make for the time missed in class, then tell the teachers about the trip and what you have told her, that way you can get her books without her knowing about the real trip and not have to worry about getting into her locker or something.

Well I e-mailed both of my children's principals and they gave me the "go ahead" and agreed to excuse the absences.:D They said I can work with the teachers individually on the schoolwork so now that will be my next step! How about you monaslw? Have you contacted the school yet? I was relieved to get the "excused absence" granted by the principals, at least now I can concentrate on working with the teachers behind my children's backs!!!!

Perhaps the teachers can provide you with photocopies of the relevent pages from the textbooks, workbooks, etc.

Or you could arrange to stop by after school on Friday and pick them up yourself.

I think the copies would be best. Less to haul around on vacation, and less intimidating for DD if you ask her to do a page or two at a given time than to have to face the textbooks, so maybe more likely to actually get done. Somehow when it's on a separate page it looks like less work than when it is bound in the book.
(Special Ed trick;) to keep kids from feeling overwhelmed and reduce anxiety)

Also I would tell the teachers that while you will make every effort to get as much work done as possible while you're gone, you would like 1 week after your return to get it all turned in. Even with the best of intentions, it will be very hard to work homework into the schedule. The last time we tried, *I* completely forgot to have my kids work on it. Even during those times when they had nothing they wanted to do and were bored. I'm sure they could have gotten it finished, if *I* had been a responsible mother :rolleyes: (My kids were in 3rd and 5th grade and have LD's).

Also, some assignments could be altered. Like perhaps an essay that was due for Social Studies on a different topic could be changed to a topic related to your trip. Or a creative writing assignment about the trip for English/Language arts. Suggest these to the teacher. They probably won't suggest them to you, just because they don't have the time to think about it.

Another thing I have done is to correct my kiddos' work myself; this lets me know that it was really done, but the teachers also appreciate that they don't have to do it. Admittedly this is easier
in the lower grades but there may be some you could do. Or the teacher may be willing to give you an answer key if you ask. Most teachers relish any opportunity to have fewer papers to correct!:) I simply mark the missed answers and let the teacher determine the actual scoring. If I notice it's a silly mistake, or illegible I have them fix the error, and then make a note on the paper.

Good luck. Sorry to ramble on. We have had a fair bit of experience with this since the schools my kids have attended are year-round and schedules are not always convenient for vacation planning.

April

monalsw - We just did a surprise trip in Nov. for our 3 DD's. Oldest is in 8th grade & the other 2 are 5th graders (twins). Here's what we did -

We contacted the teachers before hand & asked that work be sent home in a sealed envelope if possible. Teachers of the younger were fine. I was told by my older daughter's guidance counselor that it was against school policy to give schoolwork in advance (just another way to get them not to take children out of school).

Anyway, we told our DD's we were going on a long weekend to Toronto & that they would need to bring all their books home. They brought everything home with them. The 2 younger ones got their assignments to take with them. Oldest DD called our "homework hotline" every day & also called friends for assignments.

I also couldn't figure out a way to get them to bring their books home without saying we were going somewhere - that's why I told them we would be away for a long weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter