• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Surprise the kids with a WDW trip.

LEXAVE

Earning My Ears
I know this question has been touched on before, but I wanted to get any more thoughts more specific to my situation.

We did not plan to go to WDW this year, but when I came across a very good rate for the AKL, and after convincing DH, we are going in October. DH thinks the kids don't have that special magic in their eye anymore because they have been so many times. (I disagree, he just watches too many Disney commercials) So to make it interesting, I suggested making the trip a surprise. He actually got excited at the idea and we have decided not to tell them until the day of departure.

The facts:
Driving from New Jersey.
Leaving from DD school (7) with other DD (4) who will already be in the car.
Leaving on a Friday afternoon, will arrive at AKL on Saturday night
I will have new autograph books and interactive games
I will have their lights for the parades (from last trip).
We will be there for Halloween.

What I have come up with:
1-Put the above listed goodies in a gift box and let them open as we start to drive. Let them figure it out.
2-We have a car tv and vcr. So as we start our trip, we can tell them we got a new tape which will be DH and I telling them on the tape we are going to Disney. Then the rest of the tape will be past Disney vacation videos that they can watch on during our car trip.
3-Send a note in older DD lunchbox.
4-Invitation on car seat from Mickey telling them to come on down
and bring your costumes.

Any better ideas?

Thanks for any suggestions.

You have some GREAT ideas.

I LOVE the idea of the video tape saying "Were going to Disney World" I can only image how excited they would be.

I also LOVE the gift ideas too. Maybe you can give them the boxes and they can open them and if they don't get the hint then pop in the tape.

You are going to have a GREAT time and I can't wait to hear how the kids take the surprise.

Hey you might want to post this on the community board too as a lot of people tend to answer on this board too.:D

Great Ideas!!! Isn't suprising your kids a fun thing!! The last trip we made we told the kids we were heading to Savannah GA from NC. They didn't even have a clue that we had passed GA, when we made it to Daytona Beach! At that point they were still clueless!!! It was only AFTER I asked my 16 year old son to read the highway billboards to find a good place to eat that one of our kids clued in when they saw a Gatorland sign. Then they said..hey dad...I think you went too far...we are in Florida...then the 3 year old screamed...WE ARE GOING TO SEE MICKEY MOUSE!!!! The twins that are 10 and the 16 year old just sat there in shock..saying over and over...are you serious?? we are really going???? Once they realized that we were very serious..they coudln't wait!!!!!!! What a great vacation! Good Luck with yours!

The gift box idea is a great one.I went in March with husband 7yo,10yo kids and my sister.We kept it a secret for 9 months.The look on their face when we got them up that morning and they realized what was going on was the best.This was their 4th time and the suprise was what they still talk about.How we kept quiet when everyone else in the family and the school knew was a challenge but was worth every minute of it.

Hi. I actually had a coworker do this, too... Her kids were pretty young, so she just said that they were going to Virginia (or some point south of here), then when they reached the FL border, they said "We're going to WDW!"

I think they drove overnight, so it was much easier, since the kiddies were asleep most of the trip.

Would it be at all possable for you to have them wake up at Disney without them finding out on the way there? Just tell them you are going on a long drive and SUPRISE!!!

My 7 year old is a pretty smart cookie and would read the signs on the way down. We drive to WDW all the time and part of the fun is looking at signs, especially the Disney ones. I have considered not telling them until they figure it out, but I want to try and capture the realization on film.

Although it is a great idea.
Thanks

My daughter is off visiting her dad for a week, and I am sneaking around trying to get everything done before she notices. I've purchased some disney shirts for Mom and DD, and some other little trinkets. I am going to work on a scavanger hunt for her, with a brightly wrapped box full of goodies. I have downloaded my calendar and input our PS and each restraurant and activity, and I am decorating it with Disney clipart. I'll print the whole shebang up with lots of frou-frou, and write "clues" for her to track then down. It's one of her favorite games.

I am so excited - we are trying a few new things this time - Fort Wilderness campfire and horesback riding, the Ice Cream Social, tea at the GF. And we will try and have her hair weaved a bit.

I am planning at the last minute as time for vacation just popped up, and I am so looking forward to it- every call I make finds the prrices going down even more

I am so excited for you:bounce:

Will you leave from your house right away after she finds out? Don't forget to tape the whole thing.

Good luck.

What will you tell the four year old about the suitcases in the car? We always have so much stuff in the car when we drive, we couldn't hide it all! Also, do you always have the tv/vcr in the car or will they think it's odd to have it in there for just school pick up?

I think the gift idea is good but don't put a note in her lunchbox = poor girl won't be able to do her afternoon work.

You are right about the lunch box. And beside not working, we will not be able to see the surprise.
The four year old will know something is up with the luggage, but we will tell her that we are going see her grandparents for the weekend. Just until we get to her sister's school.

Since you brought it up, I just thought of having a friend pick her up at school and meet us at her to sister's school. Thanks for making me think of that! ;)

This gets me so excited. We have our "annual" Spring trip planned, which we did tell our kids about. We usually wait until at least Xmas because they are always so off the wall about it, but they heard us planning it w/ my brother, so we had to tell the "secret".

But.....we have planned a trip in November that they have no idea about. We have rented DVC points at OKW & today (oh, I am so excited about this) I got a night at the Beach Club w/ a code for our 1st night there.

I have always said I would love to tell our 3 DD's on the way to the airport, but my husband can never wait that long. I think I have him convinced this time though. We would pick them up from school & drive right to the airport.

Now if we can keep the secret that long it would be awesome. This thread is giving me hope that we'll be able to do it!!!

I too have planned a "surprise" trip in January 2003 and my 3 kids and DH have no idea, I was thinking of telling them about it on Christmas Day but after reading all of these posts I might just tell my DH and then surprise the kids when I pick them up from school all ready to head to WDW!!! I am soooo excited, I can't wait to see their faces:p

If there is any way to keep it a secret-it's well worth it to see the look on there faces when they realize where they're going. We've been with our kids 4 times and they're huge Disney fans. This eliminated the never ending "is it time to go yet---how many more days"questions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter