Super tacky or nbd???

I think I'm going to go with "tacky" but certainly not "super tacky." For me, as I think about it, the tipping point is the ziplock bag of all things. For me it's tacky if it's intentional (i.e. planned) and sneaky. I'm a guy and thus don't carry a purse, much less one of those "mom bags" so it's possible that every woman I know is always wandering around with various size ziplock bags but I kinda don't think so. For me the bag makes it a plan and thus not really incidental. Somehow that's different to me than wrapping a cookie in a napkin or putting a roll in your purse. On the other hand if one were to ask the server for a box (i.e. the bread at Le Cellier) I think that's alright too. The restaurant's involvement is implied consent.

On the other hand (for those who have three hands), it's just a waffle.:D

I’m a mom and I’m with you.

When my guy was little I planned out food so I wasn’t carrrying an assortment with me. And he’s always been a great eater (plus I didn’t overpack for him), so leftovers aren’t really a thing with him. If we were at the zoo I bought food from the zoo. Etc.

I don’t bring random baggies with me. If I have a baggie, it’s got a purpose, and the purpose has never been to pack up uneaten food.

Now I HAVE put a muffin/cupcake into a napkin at sweet tomatoes, when I really really thought I’d have room and then my stomach said “no”. But it’s unplanned. And it’s never been for my kid. Uneaten food??? Never. (Last year at a dance convention after the LONG day he ate an entire flatbread pizza AND a full serving of fettuccini Alfredo. From Cheesecake Factory. And was eating cheesecake, that we ordered specifically to go, an hour later. And he has always been like that.)

I took an orange from Tusker House Breakfast once. The server was fine with it. We were done with breakfast when I spotted them, and I really wanted to try a real florida orange in florida, so the server was happy for me to take it for later.

Lol. The only time I’ve ever seen oranges at WDW they had “from California” stickers on them. FYI.

And it’s great you have a good eater but my kids and grandkids are grazers. They eat small amounts all day long. Our plan is to share as many meals as we can and spread them out so we’re never far from food. But when we go to TH for the character breakfast, I expect to walk out with a waffle or two.

I’m a mom and I’m with you.

When my guy was little I planned out food so I wasn’t carrrying an assortment with me. And he’s always been a great eater (plus I didn’t overpack for him), so leftovers aren’t really a thing with him. If we were at the zoo I bought food from the zoo. Etc.

I don’t bring random baggies with me. If I have a baggie, it’s got a purpose, and the purpose has never been to pack up uneaten food.

Now I HAVE put a muffin/cupcake into a napkin at sweet tomatoes, when I really really thought I’d have room and then my stomach said “no”. But it’s unplanned. And it’s never been for my kid. Uneaten food??? Never. (Last year at a dance convention after the LONG day he ate an entire flatbread pizza AND a full serving of fettuccini Alfredo. From Cheesecake Factory. And was eating cheesecake, that we ordered specifically to go, an hour later. And he has always been like that.)

Lol. The only time I’ve ever seen oranges at WDW they had “from California” stickers on them. FYI.

Congrats on having a great--and fast--eater, unfortunately my once fast eater now has a delay due to health problems. Now when 4 of my party of 5 are done eating, we can either put my son's food in a bag and move on OR we can spend the next hour or more taking up a table that your family may be waiting on while my son finishes his meal. He can and does eat just as much as your son does, but it takes him three times as long. So....

Yes, moms carry all sorts of interesting things...
I usually have a sharpie, duct tape, a utility knife, and baby wipes at all times. Sometimes ziploc bags, sometimes not.

It’s hard when you have a kid that won’t eat at a normal pace. I have one who does and one who just can’t for whatever reason. She rolls her eyes at him when I dress him while he eats his high calorie breakfast sandwich, buckle him into his car seat still eating, and then if I’m lucky he’ll get through most of it before we get to school. If a ziploc bag of food gets more calories into him I will do it.

Yes, moms carry all sorts of interesting things...
I usually have a sharpie, duct tape, a utility knife, and baby wipes at all times. Sometimes ziploc bags, sometimes not.

^^This^^ I just cleaned out my bag today, to get it 'park' ready...among all of this, I had a jeweler's loop, tape measure, garbage bag, rubber gloves and dice??? I know it sounds suspicious, but I am an antique picker as well as a special needs mom, so....:rolleyes1(and I honestly have no recollection of the dice.)

^^This^^ I just cleaned out my bag today, to get it 'park' ready...among all of this, I had a jeweler's loop, tape measure, garbage bag, rubber gloves and dice??? I know it sounds suspicious, but I am an antique picker as well as a special needs mom, so....:rolleyes1(and I honestly have no recollection of the dice.)

Just wanted to wish you a wonderful trip and hope all goes well!

My mother-in-law was the world’s slowest eater. Going out for ayce crabs with her was almost a weekend event. She took a crochet hook to get every single piece.

I have been known to grab a cookie or piece of fruit on my way out. At Boma the servers were offering to go cups of coffee at breakfast. Very nice of them.

Would not consider loading up a bag but taking a left over waffle is kinda normal.

And I have no kids but usually have a zip lock bag or two at Disney. Protects phones on wet rides.

Go for it! I’m 30, and I always ask for extra pretzel bread...and a box... at Le Cellier...

My DH does this as well, and the servers don't even hesitate to bring it when asked.
PS: Its much better when warmed, a day or two later they get hard very quickly.

. . . so it's possible that every woman I know is always wandering around with various size ziplock bags but I kinda don't think so.

This actually made me giggle because if you go Google (or do a Pinterest search) for "Disney packing list" every.single.list will contain "Ziploc bags" as one of its top-10 items to pack for a trip. But going back to the OP, I think what you are looking to do is fine.

For parents, not just moms :tongue:, ziplock bags are priceless.

The pretzel bread sticks are ok, but the onion rolls from yachtsman? Omg heaven:love:

I kind of feel like everyone is making my point. So at Disney World everyone has ziplock bags, because the plan is often to take leftovers out in them. Leftovers being food that you paid for but did not consume. I don't think there's any thing wrong with that. I think it's great planning. The thing is though at an all you can eat establishment by definition there is no food that you paid for but did not consume. I think having a plan to take it any way is "tacky," again not super tacky, but tacky nonetheless.

So at Disney World everyone has ziplock bags, because the plan is often to take leftovers out in them.
No. Everyone has a ziplock bag because that’s where we stick our phones when it rains or we go on a water ride.

A few folks seem to have this premeditated plan to take away food, but I doubt it’s nearly as common.

We were brought a box, by the server, for the food we didn't finish at Ohana breakfast.

I'm a guy and thus don't carry a purse, much less one of those "mom bags" so it's possible that every woman I know is always wandering around with various size ziplock bags but I kinda don't think so.

I am a mom. I carry various sized Ziplock bags with me in my diaper bag everywhere we go. I have never used them to take food from a restaurant. These are some reasons I routinely carry them, not only at WDW, but everywhere. It is not unusual for parents to have plastic bags on hand. And if it is then I guess I’m a weirdo.

-Baby messes outfit due to diaper situation. Outfit needs to be separated from other items in stroller or diaper bag due to obvious reasons. Large ziplock to the rescue.
-Child throws pacifier on nasty floor (this happens maybe 13 times a day). Want to keep separate for cleaning later. Small ziplock to the rescue. Get home later, grab plastic bag with dirty pacis, wash.
-Baby takes 3-4 bottles in a day. Rinse out bottles (each has 5 parts, store rinsed dirty bottle parts separated by part in small bags or together in gallon ziplock bags for cleaning/sanitizing later.)
-Disposal of particularly nasty diapers.
-Buy popcorn. 2 kids sitting in stroller. DH and I hold bucket. Put popcorn in separate ziplocks for kids while we’re walking.

And so many more scenarios...

Last edited:
I'm a mom and you'll never find me stuffing food into a ziploc bag for my purse. This traumatizes me as my ex mil used to do it all the time... extra rolls and butter at the table, leftovers from whatever... drove me nuts and was quite embarrassing sometimes. I'd let the kid walk out nibbling on a waffle but I'm not sticking ziplocs of food in my purse... what if it explodes?

I also traveled very light when my kid was a baby and never got a lot of the "stuff" aspect. 2 extra diapers, 2 extra ziplocs, a travel size thing of wipes in another ziploc was tucked in my purse and the entirety of what I carried. My child exclusively breastfed so i never had bottles or anything to contend with. I agree ziplocs are key for disposing of nasty stuff in a non-obtrusive way but I can't say I've ever carried one full of cooked food of any sort in my bag.

That said if it's your first platter and not refills I agree with those who say go for it. I wouldn't but I wouldn't judge someone who did and don't think it's wrong. But if it makes you uncomfortable probably tucking a baggie of pretzels or goldfish into your purse for a snack for later will serve the same purpose without being tacky about it.

I say NBD. You pay a fortune for the food and atmosphere at Disney restaurants. If it's food you paid for (family style, off the menu etc.) take it with you. I would go as far to say if it's on your kids plate from a buffet and they haven't eaten it yet, pack it up. I would not get extra to make sure I had some to take with me. Took my daughter to CRT for her 6th birthday, she licked the icing off the cupcake and that was it! It was all good, I was paying to be in Cinderella's castle but I wish I could have at least taken the rest of the cupcake!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter