Suggest a new (to us) character meal

megs1313

DIS Veteran
Trying to hold the budget down as much as possible means we're only going to squeeze in one character meal this trip. I'd like to try something we haven't done before, so I'm looking for suggestions. Here's what we have done:

Breakfasts:
Tusker house (twice, our favorite)
Chef Mickey's (twice)
CRT
Akershus (didn't like it)

Lunch:
Hollywood & Vine

Dinners:
1900 Park Fare

Any suggestions? particular character doesn't matter to us, but we'd like decent food and a good value. TIA!

I've been to Garden Grill a few times now & the food is good w/great character ineractions from Chip & Dale, Mickey & Pluto. Ask for the bottom level if you want to be able to see Living w the Land as your table passes by parts of it. :)

We love CP and Cape May brft, and have heard good things about 1900 brft. - any if these could be good as late brft/brunch for good value. CP has made-to-order omelettes and puffy French toast, and my faves Pooh and Tigger. It is our go- to along with Tusker House, as you agreed above. We are hoping to try Garden Grill next trip, especially if we could get PPO and hit Soarin right away, and then right to TT.

We really enjoyed the breakfast at 'Ohana. It's served family style as opposed to being a buffet, the food was all good, and you get to see Lilo & Stitch who I don't think meet anywhere else on property any more. (Mickey & Pluto are also there, so 4 characters total.) When we were there there was also a Photopass photographer walking around with Stitch, so we got some cute family photos with him. Don't know if this is still the norm or can be expected, but it was a nice bonus.

Options you haven't done. Breakfast is always cheapest OPP.

Cape May breakfast, Ohana breakfast, Garden Grill, Garden Grove at the Swan & Dolphin weekend breakfast, 1900 Park Fare breakfast, Four Seasons hotel breakfast.

Cape May would be my vote. Always had really good food there and it's not super expensive.

Crystal Palace! The breakfast food was delicious (Pooh's puffed french toast!!!) and it was fun to see the Winnie the Pooh characters. The friendship parade that they do is really adorable, but probably would be best for younger children.

Crystal Palace breakfast (it would be the cheapest option). We have enjoyed pre-park opening, but Main Street is not really empty anyhow and we felt rushed (by us, not server) to get out of there to get in the park. Our favorite is to go to the latest breakfast seating, especially on morning EMH day. You can eat something light in your room, enjoy a not as crowded park for a couple of hours. Head over to breakfast, then have FP+ start around noon. (Sometimes you also get access to lunch foods, but we have never worried about that aspect of it). And you will probably be full until dinner.

We like some others, but honestly, it is not hard to meet Mickey, Minnie, and Goofy (especially Mickey) in the parks, so Cape May and Garden Grill are less of a draw.

Last edited:
I would do Garden Grill or Crystal Palace.

My kids adored CP, and it's the only place with Piglet and Eeyore regularly. 1900PF brekkie has Pooh and Tigger.

If you are breakfast people, definitely Crystal Palace.

If you are more dinner people, I would go with Garden Grill.

While I recommended CP breakfast. I have to say that we have done a late breakfast seating at 1900 PF. We've had hit and miss as to the crowded nature...our last trip the crowds at the omelette station really hampered the experience. The characters were really fun and came by a few times, though. Alice had this great conversation with my daughter. Really cute. But you've been to the restaurant before and Crystal Palace is really a beautiful space as well.

We did CP late breakfast on our last trip and it was our least favorite meal. Maybe because it was late in the breakfast service, but all the hot food was lukewarm to cold and all the cold food was definitely not cold. I will say the character interactions were very good. Of the ones you haven't experienced I'd suggest Garden Grill. The food was very good and the characters came around several times and passed by a few more. My kids loved it.

I would do 1900 Park Fare breakfast. As PP's mentioned, breakfast is always the cheapest meal and 1900 Park Fare has a lot of unique characters at breakfast (Pooh and friends, Mad Hatter, Alice and Mary Poppins). If you really want to save money and you have a AAA card, do Garden Grove breakfast at the Swan. It's usually Goofy plus other characters at breakfast (we've seen Pluto and Chip and Dale) and you get 20% off with a AAA card.

OK, I've narrowed it down to Ohana for breakfast or Crystal Palace for lunch or dinner. I can easily get a CP reservation for any of my travel days. Ohana is trickier....

There's a 10:30am at Ohana on a day that would work for me. My concern is that we'll have an experience like we once did at Akershus where they were rushing us so they could close out breakfast service. Can anyone speak to that? Based on food alone, I think Ohana gets my vote, but I really don't want them rushing us. TIA!

bog dinner. even tho there is only one character - beast - and it will be u going to him for a picture. the experience was by far my favorite. the food was ok but the atmosphere and theming is unmatched. truly magical.

Crystal Palace is a favorite of ours. We also loved Garden Grill for dinner and we've done Ohana for breakfast twice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter