• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stops for road trip

cndmama05

Mouseketeer
We are planning a road trip from the GTA to mrytle beach this March break. Is anyone familiar with the route? I'm just looking for suggestions on stops if we are travelling with 3 kids (3, 7, 14). We have approx 10 days so I was thinking 3 days there, 3 days at mrytle beach and 3 days coming home.

TIA!

The one time we went to Myrtle Beach with the kids we stopped in Washington DC and spent time touring the Smithsonian and their zoo.

3 days should be more than enough time to travel. Going down to WDW we did Markham to Charlotte in a day, which included a 60-90 minute stop at the border for my sister-in-law and her kids (they’re from the UK). So I think you could actually lop off a day of travel each way and either spend an extra day at the beach or as suggested two nights in Washington or similar. Guess it really depends on how much beach time you’re looking for.

We are planning a road trip from the GTA to mrytle beach this March break. Is anyone familiar with the route? I'm just looking for suggestions on stops if we are travelling with 3 kids (3, 7, 14). We have approx 10 days so I was thinking 3 days there, 3 days at mrytle beach and 3 days coming home.

TIA!

We drive straight down but stop in Cranberry PA on the way home, it's about 17hrs each way with stops for gas, food etc. We take the I77/79 down through i19 Summersville (saves about an hour and a half from going 79-77) and then head toward Winston-Salem and south east from there.

If you map it out, from Milton (I'm just basing on a GTA location) to Myrtle Beach, it's about 14.5 hours. Even with 30 minutes to cross the border and stops for food, I wouldn't plan more than 2 days for travel either way. 3 days in the car, even if they are shorter, feels a lot worse than 2 longer days. Plus, then you only have 3 days there vs 6 days of travel. iPads/movies/books and I'd try to push through (for myself and my kids (6, 8, 12, 13) I'd actually push to do it in 1 or 1.5 days, but you know your kids).

Anyone go during march break? We are still debating whether or not to go further south to wdw or just try out mrytle beach. Either way we would be driving and for us we would rather take our time and enjoy the road trip where the destination isn't as important. We do want it to be at least 18 to 20 degrees or else what is the point right?

we are driving in may and will stop at Hershey the first night (my daughter still remembers making her own chocolate bar - not the cruise but the chocolate bar!) and then going to DC for the Smithsonian the next morning.

Anyone go during march break? We are still debating whether or not to go further south to wdw or just try out mrytle beach. Either way we would be driving and for us we would rather take our time and enjoy the road trip where the destination isn't as important. We do want it to be at least 18 to 20 degrees or else what is the point right?

We went March break 2016 and 2017, '16 was really warm like 23-26 every day. 2017 was chilly, I think the highest it got was 14 degrees, granted it was quite warm in the sun - but certainly not beach weather. What about going down to Savannah - may be warmer down there.

We go to Myrtle Beach every year. We went at Christmas in 2018. The temp was 18 to 22 C. We stayed beachfront and had sun every day. We have gone in March and the weather is about the same. We have gone in May and the weather is more favorable to beachfront activities. We also go to Disney every year. I have been in March when it was 10 C and when it was 22. We usually go end of April early May for Orlando as the weather is warm and less crowds.

We drive via Detroit so I can't help you on the travel. I will say we usually drive straight to Myrtle or 1 1/2 days.

If you do go to Myrtle Beach make sure you go to Wonderworks. It was a blast. If you go at 4 pm the price is only $10. Our 9 year old and us loved it. We also did a day trip to Battleship North Carolina. It was about 1 1/4 hours along the coast from Myrtle Beach. It was great.

If it was me I would rather spend March Break at Myrtle Beach then Orlando. Too many tourists in Orlando at March Break.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter