Staying on ship in Nassau

I was in Nassau last week for an MSC cruise. I walked around outside the gated area, took some pictures, and had lunch at Bahamian Cookin' (conch salad, conch chowder and peas-n-rice). I've done Atlantis once and is very nice, but really have no desire to return.

If I go back, I'll probably go down to the Fish market area for lunch via taxi and/or may just walk to Junkanoo Beach.

If I go back, I'll probably go down to the Fish market area for lunch via taxi and/or may just walk to Junkanoo Beach.
Have you walked to Junkanoo Beach before? I'm just wondering how that is. We're not big excursion people but like to walk around. Was thinking of maybe doing this next time we're in Nassau.

Have you walked to Junkanoo Beach before? I'm just wondering how that is. We're not big excursion people but like to walk around. Was thinking of maybe doing this next time we're in Nassau.
I did. Many years ago. Just walked around Nassau by myself. Kept within a few blocks of the port. Even then, I did not go to the Shirley Heights area (past Queens Staircase), where much of the crime is currently centered.

I’d get off the ship now just to see the redevelopment of the port. The new layout of shops v the old gauntlet of walking through the building with vendors seems more relaxing. The big screen with fish looks entertaining. Even if I got to the end of the controlled access and turned around would still give me a day to play on the ship.

IMG_2057.jpeg

IMG_2059.jpeg

I’d get off the ship now just to see the redevelopment of the port. The new layout of shops v the old gauntlet of walking through the building with vendors seems more relaxing. The big screen with fish looks entertaining. Even if I got to the end of the controlled access and turned around would still give me a day to play on the ship.

Years ago (2013), on our first trip there, we got off and did a self-guided walking tour that took us to the Queen's Staircase and that was nice. Since then, we've usually opted to stay on the ship barring one trip with my Mom who wanted to get off. That was in the days that you walked through the building and the straw market and were quite pestered.

In our most recent trip (May 2024), we got off to explore the new port area. It was our first time back since it'd been completed. It was much more pleasant. We did just stay in the controlled access area, walked through to the end where we sat on a bench for a while watching the tour boats come and go. It was nice. Plenty for us to do, we don't need much. Then we were back to the quiet ship.

On our next cruise, we'll have my in-laws with us and I'm guessing they'll be more interested in getting off since they haven't been to Nassau since the late '80s.

On our next cruise, we'll have my in-laws with us and I'm guessing they'll be more interested in getting off since they haven't been to Nassau since the late '80s.
If you showed them the State Dept Travel warnings, would they consider just staying in the port area?

If you showed them the State Dept Travel warnings, would they consider just staying in the port area?
Oh, I'm sure they'll be fine staying in the port area. I just know they'll want to get off at least for that. So, I was wondering if there was anything else. We want to encourage them to stay on the ship anyway since it's their first Disney cruise. We have Castaway and Lighthouse as well and will be off the ship those days. We want to be sure they spend time on the ship!

Oh, I'm sure they'll be fine staying in the port area. I just know they'll want to get off at least for that. So, I was wondering if there was anything else. We want to encourage them to stay on the ship anyway since it's their first Disney cruise. We have Castaway and Lighthouse as well and will be off the ship those days. We want to be sure they spend time on the ship!
Sounds like a repeat what you did on your last trip. Of course, they may come home saying Nassau is a lovely, safe place to visit if that’s all they see. An hour, tops, should cover the area and then back to the ship. Maybe a little post-breakfast constitutional?

I wonder how much the island has changed in 35+ years. Definitely no Starbucks then. And probably no Atlantis, either.

Hope everyone has a great cruise.

My idea would be is I would trade Nassau for another Perfect Day at Cococay (Royal Caribbean - keep the ship docked overnight for two perfect days at Cococay). Disney would be dock overnight at Castaway Cay. A Perfect Day at Cococay is my favorite port (Royal Caribbean).

Last edited:
We stay onboard in Nassau but when our kids were young we did the Atlantis Waterpark excursion. The wavy river was such a blast.
It was not cheap though and back then it included lunch.

I always have to get off at Nassau. Unfortunately there's no place on the ship that has good cracked conch or conch fritters

The new(er) fenced in area at the port is well done. But, it feels like it shutters the downtown area which I guess was the intention. I walked through downtown with a few "interruptions", but nothing I couldn't handle. There were a couple of shops that were more tourists driven (perfume/jewelry).

Since this is your youngster's first time on the cruise, hope you won't deny them the opportunity to go ashore and explore at least for a while! Still plenty of time on the ship for fun stuff too!

A fun thing I would recommend for them would be the Graycliff Hotel Chocolate Factory Tour. Have done this twice now as we enjoyed it so much. Don't know of any youngsters who wouldn't enjoy making their own chocolate creations and then taking them back to the ship to eat later on!

Whatever you choose to do have a wonderful cruise.
This looks interesting…looks to be within walking distance of the ship…but is it a safe walk?

What does it say about visiting the US?
Since that’s not in their purview, I found this:

According to the Global Peace Index, the United States ranks 128 out of 163 countries. The US has terrorist attacks, mass shootings, hate crimes, and natural disasters, all of which can endanger citizens and visitors.

The top 10 safest states were (not surprising):

IMG_8032.jpeg

US Homeland Security lists No Terror Threats at this time.

Our Canadian neighbors get this:

IMG_8033.jpeg

…as for The Bahamas, it is small enough that you can read the news and know what neighborhoods to avoid.

…Early Saturday and you have me doing info searches. 🤭

We walked to Junkanoo a while ago. We had 4 adults, 2- 5 year olds and a toddler in a stroller. The walk wasn't bad, about 20m IIRC. The walk back felt a bit harder after hours in the sun with tired children, but we enjoyed the day there.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest