Star Wars Launch Bay - what happened?

DisneyFan119

Mouseketeer
We were just at Hollywood Studios yesterday and went through Star Wars Launch Bay hoping to be able to see movie props, costumes, etc. But it was so EMPTY. I went a few years ago (circa 2017?) and it was packed with cool displays! We even skipped meeting the characters back then, and it still felt like a good use of time in air conditioning. (There were also Jawas wandering around trading with guests, which was fun.)

I understand a lot has changed because of Covid and Galaxy's Edge opening, but since it's still described, even on the app, as being able to "explore immersive exhibits of costumes, models, concept artwork and actual movie props," I was left sorely disappointed and a bit confused. We were bummed and felt like it was a waste of time yesterday. Did I miss something?? Where'd everything go?

We walked through it in October and it had as many props as always at that point. No idea if it has changed. Maybe they are removing older ones and putting in newer stuff?

I was there in May '23 & it looked the same as it has the last few years so if things have changed it's been awhile.

We didn't go in May, but plan to next month. was just watching a couple of recent youtube videos, and they still had artwork and movie props, didn't see costumes though. Did they any props/artwork, or was it completely empty?
I loved Launch bay, and I hope they'll keep it open, and add much, much more. Used to be able to shop, got my first specialty Boba Fett magic band there. Would love to see props/artwork from recent series: Ahsoka, Mandalorian, etc.

Last edited:
We didn't go in May, but plan to next month. was just watching a couple of recent youtube videos, and they still had artwork and movie props, didn't see costumes though. Did they any props/artwork, or was it completely empty?
I loved Launch bay, and I hope they'll keep it open, and add much, much more. Used to be able to shop, got my first specialty Boba Fett magic band there. Would love to see props/artwork from recent series: Ahsoka, Mandalorian, etc.

They had a couple of little models and a full size speeder bike, but that's basically it. Unless we missed a room or something, but I don't think we did. Now I feel like I'm nuts. Oh well! 🤷‍♀️

It's a very under-utilized huge space! The possibilities and potential for it are endless. Hope they do more with it.

We poked our heads in back in Aug and it's looked the same as it has for quite some time, pretty abandoned looking with just a few displays and outside of character meet ups, I don't think it's had much going on for a while. Sadly that whole section with animation courtyard is pretty much just character meetings and disney jr dance parties.

I feel like the Animation Courtyard as a whole is sad and feels abandoned. I think that area needs to be next on a total gut and replace. It's big enough for a small land or as was rumored an extension of Pixar Place with possibly Monster Inc ride etc. We've actually skipped entire area last few trips.

And I personally don't like SW outside of Galaxy Edge. Make it work there.

We were there on Wednesday and went to LaunchBay for a Disney Visa character pic. It looks the same as it has the last several times we’ve been. They no longer show the movie that promoted the sequels and the last season of Rebels - but the last season of rebels was 2018, so that’s not surprising.

They could do SO much more with that space. Seems to be a running theme at this point with most things Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter