Standard View Room at GCH - Room request?

VicgirlBC

Mouseketeer
Hello lovely and knowledgeable forum users. I have blown the budget for our August trip and booked GCH, which I am SO excited about! With the Canadian exchange rate I could only afford a standard room (still over $850 CAD per night, yikes!). It me and my two eldest children (19 & 21).

I would love to know your thoughts about where in the building/which floor are the "best" standard rooms (easy access to elevators, nicest view, quiet). I think we will appreciate that they may be quieter than the DTD side, but would love to hear from those who have stayed in the building.

Thank you so much!

Hello lovely and knowledgeable forum users. I have blown the budget for our August trip and booked GCH, which I am SO excited about! With the Canadian exchange rate I could only afford a standard room (still over $850 CAD per night, yikes!). It me and my two eldest children (19 & 21).

I would love to know your thoughts about where in the building/which floor are the "best" standard rooms (easy access to elevators, nicest view, quiet). I think we will appreciate that they may be quieter than the DTD side, but would love to hear from those who have stayed in the building.

Thank you so much!
We stayed there in a standard room in April. I requested a room near the lobby & close to the elevators. We were on the 3rd floor and it was very quiet with a view of trees. It overlooked the entrance and we could see Pixar Place in the distance.

The GCH superthread has lots of questions/answer about the rooms and some pictures of them, too.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/grand-californian-super-thread.2396588/

I nearly always book a standard room at GCH, because I'm less interested in the view than in the location within the hotel.

Like Pluto468, I request a room close to the elevators and lobby area. I prefer not to walk down several long halls to get to and from my room.

But I've also found that almost every room has a pretty nice view of something. My key requests are the same as Pluto's--near an elevator and close to the open area around the lobby. I like looking down on the lobby below plus it ensures you're close to an elevator since that's where the main bank is. If you can't get a room near the open lobby area, then at least you have the request in for an elevator nearby so you could try for the area above Napa Rose.

We book standard rooms too. Like DizMe, we request closed to the elevators and lobby area. I like the 3rd floor because there is a nice, relaxing area where the Club 33 reservations are made. (Seen Tony Baxter there). I like sitting out on the balcony looking out at the front of the hotel, watching the monorail go by. It is relaxing.

My son likes to heat up leftovers. The microwaves are located with the soda and ice machines. I think the one on the 3rd floor is across from room 3105. That room is by the elevators.

...I would love to know your thoughts about where in the building/which floor are the "best" standard rooms (easy access to elevators, nicest view, quiet)...
There are 3 banks of elevators, and I request to be near the elevators adjacent to Napa Rose. This allows quick access to the DCA entrance and also Craftsman bar/grill. There are likely few "standard" rooms in this area, but many "courtyard/woods" (which is a common free upgrade).

... me and my two eldest children (19 & 21)...
You should request a room with a Daybed, assuming they don't want to share a Queen Bed.
King Bed (which will always include a Twin Sleeper Chair) and Day Bed might be optimal, but often difficult to get.

how do you request ? Do you request when you check in ? or is there a number to call or email address ?

Thanks everyone! I will request near the lobby and/or the elevators. We would ideally like a 2 queen room with daybed so I can have my own bed and the “kids” can take turns between the other queen bed and the day bed. I’ll request that as well. Thanks again for all your insight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter