Stalking vs Waitlist: WL won

zavandor

DIS Veteran
I had booked a split stay in a studio for this September: 4 nights at BLT, 4 at BWV and 3 at AKL. I like split stays so I can always have an hotel near the park I plan to visit.
Since I'm on a quest to visit all WDW DVC resorts, I also created a WL to replace the BLT nights with VGF and the BWV nights with BCV. I had zero hopes for both: VGF because the studio situation is what it is, BCV because it's not only BCV but the stay falls during the Moonligh Magic at the Studios (I considered myself lucky to get BWV).
I stalked a bit the RAT, but no more than a couple of times per day, with little success.
And this morning I got a big surprise: two welcome home confirmations, both WL came through!

It feels a little bit like Christmas :)

Good for you! (Maybe you should buy a lottery ticket today, LOL).

Personally love the stories that the waitlist worked - especially for the near park resorts. Nice surprises that don't require work on my part are strongly preferred over constant vigilence! :) :)

Congrats! Stalking usually wins, but it doesn't matter which way you get the nights you need. Enjoy!

I too posted about getting a waitlist. A standard 1 bedroom was never available for even a day during the time I stalked.

It just recently worked for me for a BWV standard view 1bd during Food & Wine. Of course, it was only a one night wait list but still I was pleasantly surprised.

What surprised me even more though was getting the first 5 nights of that 6 night stay at 7 months.

So what's your stay looking like now?

4 nights VGF
4 nights BCV
3 nights AKV
3 nights Universal (probably Cabana Bay unless a super AP rate comes out for a deluxe)

Do you check in at the GF lobby or has VGF its own check in desk? Has it a dedicated DME stop?
I've never been to the GF (a part from one dinner). Any tip?

4 nights VGF
4 nights BCV
3 nights AKV
3 nights Universal (probably Cabana Bay unless a super AP rate comes out for a deluxe)

Do you check in at the GF lobby or has VGF its own check in desk? Has it a dedicated DME stop?

DME only stops at the main building but VGF has their own check in that is open unless it's late - middle of the night.

4 nights VGF
4 nights BCV
3 nights AKV

Just home from a split stay - 3 nights VGF and 5 nights BWV. Used online check in for both and never visited the front desk at either resort. :)

Took DME from the airport & arrived at the GF resort around 9 pm. It's just a short walk (covered walkway) from bus drop off over to the villas, probably shorter than the walk to some of the GF buildings. IIRC, the lobby CMs are there until 10 PM. Had a great first floor room ( LV 1114). It was such a nice surprise to see the MK fireworks from the patio. Could even see them when in bed, LOL. Gorgeous resort! (But I still love the BWV best). :)

4 nights VGF
4 nights BCV
3 nights AKV

During regular daytime hours, it is much nicer to check in at the VGF desk. There are two desks, where you actually sit down while you are checking in. Water and coffee are in the lobby, and it is a smaller, more intimate check in. It was nice because when we got there, the kids could actually play in the lobby and they didn't need to standing right by us as we checked in.

If you are dropped off by car or drive yourself, there is a separate drop off at the VGF building and lobby. DME will be, as @CarolMN said, outside the main building, and then it's a short covered walkway to your right to get to the VGF building and lobby. While the wait at the main building to check in usually isn't bad, it is much calmer and more personal to go to the VGF building to check in.

Congrats!:thumbsup2

I'm doing a split-stay too...3 nights at OKW and 4 nights at AKV. I *really* wanted the near-HH category at OKW but it wasn't available, so I had to waitlist it. I keep checking, but not even one night has been available. I have it set up as a 7-day waitlist since it's the same number of points so there's no risk in leaving it in place until the last minute. The 3 nights are a Fri-Sun so someone will have to cancel a weekend stay for me to get my waitlist. I guess anything is possible...

stalking worked for me, wait list didn't come near. Was able to get full stay at BWV for Dec. Wait list options all filled up

Winner for STALKING and WAITLIST this weekend.

For the last several weeks, I've been stalking every day, sometimes several times a day, for THREE different timeframes: Poly (or any studio) for one night this month, a 2BR in Aulani in August, and a studio/1BR/2BR for two nights Thanksgiving week.

I needed ONE night in Aulani in a 2BR Island/Garden view room (had 2 nights in Island View and one in Pool view...wanted all 3 in one room). Really NOTHING has shown up for ANY 2BRs at Aulani every day. Then this weekend I see an email welcoming me home and see that both reservations were combined and all 3 nights in one room. Yay! WAITLIST wins!

I also booked 1 night at a Poly Villa for NEXT week...and needed a 2nd night in ANY DVC Studio. At one time SSR was available but I hesitated and didn't book and it was gone. So then on Sunday I'm hanging around and pull up the website for grins...and there is a Poly Lakeview Studio available. With my extra points from the new Aulani room, I could swing it so I booked it. STALKING wins!

So I'm still waitlist for some time during Thanksgiving week, but am booked in other rooms that time just want a different resort. I'm still stalking that daily. We'll see what happens.

I've had a waitlist for BLT for Thanksgiving. Checked this morning studio was available in a lake view exactly what I had waitlisted but my waitlist didn't pick it up. So I grabbed them and cancelled the waitlist.

Just worked for me too! Put in a WL for BWV...SV studio which I adjusted my October trip last month...just came through! Now, I am WL for the last night of my trip so hopeful that all 4 nights will end up back at BWV like originally booked at 11 months! Will still stalk but feel more confident that my WL will happen as I think this last night was the easier of the two I was trying for!!!

I’m back on the waitlist wagon again. I was sick during my booking window at the 11 month window, so forgot to book my early May 2019 trip. So now I’m missing one day in the middle of that trip. I’m booked at Bwv standard studio. I’m waitlisted for Sunday May 5th, ONE night. I have 4 nights before and 5 nights after....UGH. I went on the waitlist 10 months, 3 weeks and have been on it 2 weeks now....still kicking myself. (Update: June 27, 2018–just got my May 5th waitlist filled)

Also on the waitlist for both okw and SSR studio for Sunday sep 9th for one night. Trying to do a last minute cruise so need to come in the night early.

Now just waiting for one of my September waitlist to hopefully come through.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter