• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

SSI application

Well we didn't call before our 2 week vacation....but he did call today....Great news he was approved the first time out....no reapplying for us....They did a total deposit from when he first applied. Don't know what his monthly amount will be but somewhere around 350 per month....We still don't have any paperwork yet...but he was told we would receive this week.

I'm so happy to read this. :hug:

It's really huge because it means the state vocational office in PA will now offer him much more financial aid for college this year....If he didn't get approved it would be substantially less....Having only unemployment as the household income this year all the aid he can get will be much appreciated.

yay!!! I figured he would get approved! just great they didn't do the standard denial! :banana: :woohoo: :banana: :cool1: :woohoo:

Congratulations on the approval!

I teach a program for students who are 18-22 and still in the public schools in IN. MANY of the students/parents have not filed for SSI and or waivers due to paperwork being confusing and getting the run-around from the agencies. And for the most part they are told at the begining of their child's schooling to start the process. I, too, am learning the ropes of being the parent of an Aspie (DS8)...he's in the process of being Dxed now.

One thing I tell my student's parents, although I have A LOT of the information for them if they are not already signed up, go find the information because the govn't is NOT going to come to you with it. My next step is to find out if I will be able to find out if DS will qualify for the Autism Waiver in IN because it is considered on the Spectrum.:confused3 It would REALLY help with therapies considering he goes to a Christian school and I would really like to keep him there and services are just consult from the public school district. Good thing he knows 2 people in the special ed field (mom and dad);)

If I could ask a question, I havent been able to work since 06, I have a problem with my foot and my back making it impossible to stand or sit for periods of time. My question is in order to apply do you need to have a doctor to apply? I do not have health insurance what so ever. any info would be appreciated.

Yes, it is very sad that people do not understand that to apply for social security benefits of any kind, all you have to do is call the social security office directly @ 1-800-772-1213. they will take information over the phone, and then send releases in the mail for you to sign and send back to them. They even give you a self-addressed stamped envelope! Or you can go online and apply, but this does not work for all kinds of disability applications yet. You do not need an agency to help you apply. Just do it yourself!

Social Security will get information and reports from schools, doctors, etc. about your disability. If you do not have this information, or do not have a doctor, etc., they will send you to their doctors for an evaluiation. Free. Even if they get all the information, they still might send you to their own doctor/psychologist, etc. for an evaluation. Free. Or should I said paid for by the American taxpayer.

ilandrazdsw: I do not know what the Autism waiver in Indiana entails. Is it a Medicaid waiver? If so, we have similar waivers here in NYS, but they are not called Autism waivers. If you would like more info, you can pm me.

Blondietink, the IN Autism Waiver is different than qualifying for medicare. It is strictly for those who are on the spectrum. There is a LONG waiting list...those who know about it and were able to sign up their child as early as possible were "lucky." Those who didn't know about the waiver or didn't do it because they didn't thiink their child would qualify, were overwhelmed by the paperwork, or just the the run-around now HOPE that when their student exits school will be bumped up to the top of the list due to CHANGE OF LIFE. I am not completely sure how the Waiver is determined...I am thinking it may be by intensity of need, which means that my son would be low priority on the list.:confused3

Medicare and Medicaid are two different things completely. Usually waivers are done under the Medicaid system only. In NYS there are several waivers under the Medicaid system, one of which is the HCBS (Home and Community BAsed Services) waiver for those people with developmental disabilities, of which Autism is a category. It was originally designed to "waive" the parents income so that income would not be calculated in making the child eligible for the waiver.

Anyway, generally to qualify for any waiver, the person applying much have low scores in 4 out of 7 areas of daily living such as personal care, ability to learn a job, money management, etc. So, those with a more severe handicap are usually eligible for waiver programs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter