Springfield, IL

cwojchik

Mouseketeer
We are making our way to FL next month and looking to find other things to visit along the way. I thought it would be really cool to see Lincoln's Museum in Springfield IL but wondering about the area. When looking for hotel info, I noticed many sites referencing the area as not safe. Anyone visit/live near there and can tell me your opinion. Good hotel/area to stay at?

We visited last Spring Break. We stayed at the Baymont Inn. It was a decent hotel and nothing in Springfield is very far from edge to edge. The Lincoln Museum is so much fun. Make sure you see both movies they offer!

Oh! And I highly recommend eating at "The Feed Store" soups and sammys that can't be beat!

I used to live in Springfield and hotels of Dirksen parkway such as Hilton garden inn or drury inn, country inn and suits on Stevenson or crown plaza all decent hotels. and not to far from museum. food for thought if you like Italian, try saputos down town near convention center and Hilton hotel. another decent hotel. If you want to venture out a bit more for a real treat look up Darcys Pint (its a pub) and order a Horse shoe. Trust me!!!!! meat fries cheese...... to die for. It is an exclusive meal originating from Springfield. Enjoy!!

Springfield is good I live an hour south of Springfield and from what I have heard as long as you stay close to the museum it is safe (My work takes me there on occasion and I like the area), also if you are going down Hwy 57, make sure you stop by Metropolis, IL (Home of Superman) Superman museum and large statue is about 6 miles off the highway. We always stop in Chattanooga for the Chattanooga Choo Choo.

rrodgers - When you say by the museum, you mean Lincoln's library, right? Just want to make sure we don't go in the wrong area. We have stopped in Metropolis and loved the pics we got from there! :) I have NEVER heard of Chattanooga Choo Choo. What is that? Sounds fun!

Yes by the Library sorry, I was already thinking about Superman Museum. The Chattanooga Choo Choo is a train yard in Chattanooga you can climb on a train and there are several things to do. It is actually a Hotel, but it is a tourist destination as well. We stop there every trip just like Metropolis. (also depending on your route you can stop by the Worlds largest Catsup bottle in Collinsville, not far from my house)

Oohhh. Never heard of largest ketchup bottle. Not sure where that is but will check outa map. FUN! :)

Just google largest Catsup bottle, it is at 800 S Morrison Ave, Collinsville, IL 62234, shouldn't be more than a couple of miles off your coarse, it is fun to take pictures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter