Spring break versus summer?

eamesgirl

Earning My Ears
We are Disneyland locals thinking ahead to a future WDW trip (My husband and I have two kids, 7 and 4). We would like to visit in 2024, and since I‘m a teacher, we will need to travel either during summer or spring break (last week of March and first week of April). Which time period do you think is the best part to visit? I heard that spring break used to be better weather but more crowded than summer and wanted to know if this is still the case. Thanks!

Unless you love 100 degree real feel with 100% humidity, stick to spring break. Both are busy but I’d rather have decent weather over spring break! Some folks LOVE summer (crowds tend to be lower in mid/late August as some schools go back) but I am already exhausted in 80 degree FL weather, I could not imagine the summer weather.

I'm with Hanna especially if you aren't used to the heat and humidity. Spring break is crowded, but the weather is glorious usually. If I go to Orlando in the summer I stick entirely to water based activities or inside activities (not good weather for theme parks IMHO -- just too hot and humid).

Summer is miserable due to the heat and humidity, especially since a lot of the parks do not have a ton of shady places to sit. Spring break has better weather but can get pretty crowded. I would rather deal with crowds than awful weather.

Another vote for Spring Break crowds over summer heat and humidity!

Just try to avoid the week before and the week after Easter. Those are the two busiest weeks at WDW, other than the Christmas to New Years week.

The last week of March would be ideal. This is after most schools in the South and Florida have spring break and before the schools up north start Spring/Easter break.

It will still be busy, but the weather would be better.

We’ve done both and I would pick spring break. It’s not like summer is empty, unless you go in August. And then the heat is so unbearable it’s not worth it. Last spring break we had fantastic weather.

It depends on when your school is out. The last two weeks of May or first two weeks of June is a great time to visit. Moderate crowds, but possibly thunderstorms. June is the wettest month. Late August is also good as far as crowds Go. I would never go Spring break good weather isn’t worth the crowds.

WDW is different than DL. The lines are inside and air conditioned. We‘ve been late May, early June, and August its been fine.

The weather is miserable in the summer. Hot as the sun, humid as a steam room, and annoying thunderstorms disrupting your plans every single afternoon and evening. And yet, it really isn't that crowded. Whereas spring break -- the weeks around Easter -- is unbelievably crowded. Pedestrian traffic jams throughout the parks. Miserable lines even for the least popular rides. Personally, I'd take the summer every time.

I’ve done both in the last couple of years, and I vote Spring Break. It gets so hot and humid even in June, that mid-day breaks become mid- morning until sun down breaks. I didn’t notice it being any more crowded last March than the previous June, and it is a lot easier to wait in lines when the weather is nicer.

The last week of March would be ideal. This is after most schools in the South and Florida have spring break and before the schools up north start Spring/Easter break.

It will still be busy, but the weather would be better.

Unfortunately, in 2024 when we plan to go Easter is right in the middle of my spring break. Do you think it would be better to go the week before Easter or the week after?

Unfortunately, in 2024 when we plan to go Easter is right in the middle of my spring break. Do you think it would be better to go the week before Easter or the week after?
I didn't notice this is two years from now.

The week before and after Easter are going to be busy. For example, Disney blocks out that time period for Florida annual pass members.

I would probably read some trip reports from this Easter to get a feel for how comfortable you would be visiting during that time. I personally would pick either of those weeks over the summer if I was planning a "spend all day at the parks" type of trip.

When I visit Disneyworld in the summer, it is more of a pool and resort type of trip with lots of daytime breaks and more evening and early morning touring.

Also, who knows what changes may come to Disneyworld touring by 2024.

Pick your poison. Spring Break is ridiculously busy, but temps are not too bad. The last 2 years, summer has not been super busy, but very hot.
We did Spring Break once and it was as bad or worse than Christmas.

We are Disneyland locals thinking ahead to a future WDW trip (My husband and I have two kids, 7 and 4). We would like to visit in 2024, and since I‘m a teacher, we will need to travel either during summer or spring break (last week of March and first week of April). Which time period do you think is the best part to visit? I heard that spring break used to be better weather but more crowded than summer and wanted to know if this is still the case. Thanks!
Depends on if your spring break is over Easter (I wouldn’t do it if it is) and how good you are are doing rope drop and having a plan. We have done spring break only when it doesn’t line up with Easter and the weather is so much better than summer. Summer is super hot but also good for water park fun. If you stay deluxe or rent Dvc points you get access to a couple parks after hours on certain days…. I get more done in those 2 hours than all day. Over Easter even 10 years ago was so crowded it was miserable. Other spring breaks time I tolerate to avoid the summer heat

What weeks in the Summer were you considering?

We went last week of August. It was hot, but not bad as most queues were (eventually) indoors. Portables fans helped a lot. Crowds were very low which was awesome, but you don't mention when in the summer you are planning so that may not be the case for you. I would say the worst part of August was the rain. It rained everyday, but sometimes we'd have to find somewhere to wait it out for an hour or so. Also with the rain, they closed outdoor rides so that's a factor as well. Having said that...would we go that time again? Yes.

With the way airlines have been lately around Easter, I would go in the summer, with cancellations and delays, etc..... It is hot but they give you free ice water all over the parks and AC is everywhere and the crowds busy in the summer but not like Easter. Also a Disney pool on a hot day is quite refreshing.
On another note, I don't know how you teachers can spend a week in Disney and fly back and go to work the next day, you are standing all day and working......in the summer, you can get home and rest your legs and feet for a while before you go back to work. Most of us come home and when we go to work, we can ease back at a desk or cubicle but you guys have to be at peak performance level the day you get back. I raise my Irish Joffrey's Jamison glass mug to the nurses, surgeons and first responders that do this as well as you teachers.

Summer in Florida is hot and humid, but Spring is likely to be way more crowded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter