Split Stay/ Waitlist Questions... Small Kids?

mrsgoose8

Mouseketeer
Me again. :)

Okay so we have a trip planned June 1-6.
Currently have AKL-Kidani 1 BR booked the entire time.

Looking at our schedule (which is 100% flexible, we aren't park commandos!) We have 3 days planned at MK currently. (I like to book end the trip there with small kids). This DOES go against the crowd calendars, so we may decide it doesn't seem like a good idea on the fly.

Any one ever done a split stay with small kids? Is it worth the hassle to switch from AKV to BLT??

Furthermore, If I try to book BLT it will have to be wait list any way. I won't be broken hearted if I don't get it, but what would be the best nights to request? The front end or the back end of my trip... as far as wait listing goes?

I'm willing to Waitlist the whole stay, but as I understand I am more likely to get a few nights at BLT than a whole long vacation.

Thoughts?
Thanks!!! :)

you can also try VWL - it might be available.

BLT standard view is hard to get period. even for owners at blt.

so would go with lake view. is lake view gone too?

if so would still wait list lake view - some people have reported that the wait list worked for them at BLT.

you go with your vacation plans - going at the end to the MK is generally better because some little kids get bore at EPcot or Studios after seeing the MK.

not sure about AK - it did not exist when brought little ones.

My kids will love AKL, it's the only DVC I've been to, so that's the one I know for sure. More wondering about how much of a pain it will be to do the split stay. I've read on here that Bell services moves you but I don't really know any more than that :)

Itinerary wise we are totally flexible and possibly seeing MK 3x in the week (sun/wed/sat) so we could really go. In my mind, I want to do BLT last, bc we will be spoiled with being so close if we do it first. But wait list wise I am wondering if it matters?

We almost always do a split stay. I've done it so often I might get bored staying at one place the whole time :rotfl:

In fact on our upcoming trip (Jan 23) we are doing a split between VWL and AKL.

We did the exact split you are talking about the last time we went (BLT and Kidani)... best of both worlds imo.. DH loves BLT and we all loved the convenience, and the kids love Kidani and the animals and the whole theming.

Is it a pain? Not really.. the packing part is an inconvenience for sure.. but on the plus side, depending on after how many days you move you might get your mousekeeping faster :upsidedow
On our last trip we went over early and we did wait around at BLT and kind of wasted the day as our room was ready at the very latest possible time it could be. I won't do that again.

So for our upcoming trip we are going to leave our bags at bell services, boat over to MK and then on a break whenever our AKL room is ready, (I did online check in) -- head there to just get into our room etc and get our suitcases up there and maybe eat - and then head back to MK.

The kids just thought it was exciting :) Like two trips in one.

Me again. :)

Okay so we have a trip planned June 1-6.
Currently have AKL-Kidani 1 BR booked the entire time.

Looking at our schedule (which is 100% flexible, we aren't park commandos!) We have 3 days planned at MK currently. (I like to book end the trip there with small kids). This DOES go against the crowd calendars, so we may decide it doesn't seem like a good idea on the fly.

Any one ever done a split stay with small kids? Is it worth the hassle to switch from AKV to BLT??

Furthermore, If I try to book BLT it will have to be wait list any way. I won't be broken hearted if I don't get it, but what would be the best nights to request? The front end or the back end of my trip... as far as wait listing goes?

I'm willing to Waitlist the whole stay, but as I understand I am more likely to get a few nights at BLT than a whole long vacation.

Thoughts?
Thanks!!! :)

If you book two different resorts, you have to check out of resort one by 11AM. Then you might not be able to check into resort two until after 4PM (or later). You might be lucky and be able to get the second resort earlier, but maybe not. So you will be homeless during that time. If you need the kids to take naps, you might have a big problem.

As for the waitlist, you don't get some of the night if you have a multinight waitlist and a few come through. You get nothing until all your night come through. So if you waitlist three nights, you probably would be luckier than getting all six.

And if you have refrigerated items in your kitchen, you'll need to pack them up. Bell Services will keep them refrigerated before they leave in the van/truck to get to your new resort and once they get there. But on the way there, they will not be refrigerated.

We did a split stay between AKL and BLT in Sept and it was the best of both worlds. The atmosphere, activities and pool at AKL and the walk to MK from BLT.

Where will your kids nap? If in the stroller no problem. Leave AKL, nap on the go (in a nice shady spot) then head over to BLT when you are done.

I have to update my reply here.. After this past trip I don't know if I will ever again do a split!! Even after years of happily doing splits...

I became very ill the day we had to switch resorts (gastro) and the second room was not ready until after 4!! Luckily my parents had a room already so I was able to spend the day there, sick as can be :P

It really scared me off switching rooms ever again... Though I am sure that was just a freak occurrence...

I dont think I would want to do it with little ones. Check out VWL, we stayed at WL last trip. Loved taking the boat to MK and over the Contemporary. I think you will find availability for first week in June.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter