Spin-off: bye bye Pepsi?

So, in a similar move, a major grocer here in Canada battled it out with a major chip company. They stopped selling them for a month or so while fighting over the pricing. It boosted sales of other brand which have stuck around and are more readily available than they were before the battle. The grocer was Loblaw and the chip was Lays, in case anyone was interested!

So, in a similar move, a major grocer here in Canada battled it out with a major chip company. They stopped selling them for a month or so while fighting over the pricing. It boosted sales of other brand which have stuck around and are more readily available than they were before the battle. The grocer was Loblaw and the chip was Lays, in case anyone was interested!
Lays is owned by PepsiCo…

I'd still rather get 70% more drink and dump the extra than pay 50% more and not dump. And our fridge has the room for a 12 ouncer.
That’s how I still feel about many things, but my problem is a strong ‘waste not want not’ gene. 7oz is the portion I’d naturally want, like when poured from a bottle. It’s uncomfortable for me to dump the rest, and 7oz of soda doesn’t bother my sugar when 12oz does. I don’t enjoy diet soda. The small sugary one is an easy and worthwhile treat.

Currently DH has his soda stash to bring one a day to work in his Yeti cup. Our household of 4 used to go through 12pks on a regular basis. Maybe 2 per week? Used to be a regular part of my shopping budget, so price per ounce mattered. I’d stock up during the big sales.

Today it’s different. One kid never really liked the bubbles, the other cut way down after getting braces, and I drink less than 1 per week. It’s no longer a weekly expense so paying an extra dollar or two for smaller cans feels OK. It’s seems worth it on days I indulge and crack open my fresh little can that pairs so perfectly with that hot summer day BBQ or Sunday Spaghetti and Meatballs.

I’m on Team Pepsi. With that being said, if it were no longer sold here, I would pick something else.

Years ago when Wonder bread wasn’t in circulation anymore. That hit harder because it closed down the Wonder bread outlet near me. I think it was in this forum about Bimbo bread that was a good substitute.
I don’t buy Wonder bread now unless it is on a good sale or go to Sam’s.

But everything now is expensive isn’t it? Lol.

Royal Crown Cola. A competitor to Coke and Pepsi. Shasta Cola was another competitor. Then there was Jolt Cola, the cola with twice the sugar and caffeine of other cola brands.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https://www.caffeineinformer.com/caffeine-content/royal-crown-cola&psig=AOvVaw3kimhTm3kCHn_d8pJkakl3&ust=1704755701427000&source=images&cd=vfe&opi=89978449&ved=0CBIQjRxqFwoTCJi_kYO0zIMDFQAAAAAdAAAAABAI
I also like Virgin Cola, but it's impossible to find. Not so great on its own, very sweet and not very bubbly, but with sandwiches it's actually rather good.

Dr. Pepper here is bottled and distributed by 7-Up/Snapple.
Coke has their own facility as does Pepsi.

I think the company is now called Keurig Dr. Pepper. However, the distributor licenses are convoluted as heck because a lot of the distribution of Dr Pepper by Coke or Pepsi distributors came from a time when Dr Pepper was small. At least in the Bay Area, packaged Dr. Pepper is distributed by the local Pepsi bottler (I think in Hayward) and is usually part of any sale promotion for packaged Pepsi products. I found photos of Dr. Pepper that's labeled as distributed by a Coke or Pepsi bottler. This Pepsi distributor on the east coast lists Dr Pepper.

https://pepsibottlingventures.com/our-products/

Dr Pepper is available at pretty much every major fast food chain because of that complex licensing for fountain syrup. I've seen it at Taco Bell fountains next to Pepsi, at McDonald's, and in Coke Freestyle machines.

https://www.coca-colafreestyle.com/choices/?filter1=all drinks&filter2=Dr Pepper

s-l960.jpg

I can count on two (or three) hands the number of times I drink soft drinks in a year.

There’s a good reason, at least in Diet Coke’s case. That’s because Diet Coke isn’t at all based off of Coke, it’s the diet version of new Coke that came
Out during the cola wars of the 80’s. Coke Zero Sugar is the diet formulation of Coca Cola original taste.
With diet versions, I think where it is being sold in the world makes a difference in the taste. I think many nations still use cyclamates which have been illegal in the U.S. for over 50 years. As a kid I drank diet soda here in the U.S. in diet sodas, and it tasted just like sugar.

We need more of this. Consumers need to just put their foot down and refuse to buy when these companies keep jacking up prices. I like Costco's stance. The minute a supplier doesn't play ball Costco blackballs them and refuses to stock their products in the store. That is why you still have the $1.50 hot dog and soda and the $4.99 rotisserie chicken.

We need more of this. Consumers need to just put their foot down and refuse to buy when these companies keep jacking up prices. I like Costco's stance. The minute a supplier doesn't play ball Costco blackballs them and refuses to stock their products in the store. That is why you still have the $1.50 hot dog and soda and the $4.99 rotisserie chicken.
Walmart too. Except Walmart gets called out for picking on suppliers. Go figure.

The price of canned soft drinks at Costco has risen and they haven't exactly cut off Coke, Pepsi, etc. Soft drinks are the one thing where Costco actually has variety.

Walmart too. Except Walmart gets called out for picking on suppliers. Go figure.

Walmart had the infamous gallon sized jar of Vlasic pickles that sold for $2.99. That was apparently the one thing they insisted on - even threatening to take all their products off their shelves if they didn't continue. I think eventually they relented and the size went down. The article is 20 year old, but this was something that became well known.

https://www.fastcompany.com/47593/wal-mart-you-dont-know-2

What Costco has when it comes to pricing is that they won't always have variety if it's a product that that's similar among suppliers. So they can play hardball and pit different suppliers against each other.

I prefer coke over Pepsi. Coke syrup for fountain soda is actually more expensive than Pepsi. In Texas, where dr. Pepper was invented is seen on both Coke and Pepsi fountain machines.

Walmart had the infamous gallon sized jar of Vlasic pickles that sold for $2.99. That was apparently the one thing they insisted on - even threatening to take all their products off their shelves if they didn't continue. I think eventually they relented and the size went down. The article is 20 year old, but this was something that became well known.

https://www.fastcompany.com/47593/wal-mart-you-dont-know-2

What Costco has when it comes to pricing is that they won't always have variety if it's a product that that's similar among suppliers. So they can play hardball and pit different suppliers against each other.
I've never been in a Costco, but I have read they also tend to only carry higher end products. While they will likely be at the lowest price for that model, there often are lower priced versions available elsewhere.

Some in my household like Coke, others Pepsi.
However, they also like the generic versions in our local
supermarket of "Dr. Pepper" "Diet Coke" "Coke" and Gingerale.
I put quotes because none of them are called by name but the gingerale.
Because the name brands have all gone to $8.99/12 pack
we refuse to buy them unless there's a sale.
DS was ecstatic at Christmas when I found Pepsi Mango Zero Sugar for him (sale).
DH and DS are content with the generics I mentioned,
which are only $4.99/12 pack, and they even go on sale!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter