spiderman...too much for a 5 yr old?

maggie1

Mouseketeer
Hoping for some advice...my son, 5 yrs old, is just determined to go on the Spiderman ride at IOA...I have been to MK and been on railroad, splash mountain, etc, so I can assess those rides for him...he is pretty adventurous. Has anyone taken a 5yr old on Spiderman and how did it go? Thanks for your help!

Its a fantastic ride and if you say your son is adventurous, he should be fine. You have to wear glasses to get the 3D effect and also be aware that the "car" you are in lurches a lot and you have to hold on really tight as you get thrown from side to side.

My son was 7 when he first went on the ride so I can't speak from personal experience I'm afraid but I'm sure someone else can help.

Jackie

Spiderman is one of the most realistic rides I've ever been on. If your son could be frightened by what appears to be characters leaping onto your ride vehicle, aiming and shooting ray guns at him or what feels like a freefall, I'd say skip it. This ride is very intense.

5 is a tough age to judge. Some kids are very adventurous at that age and others are less tolerant of such extreme experiences. Many are not yet capable of separating fantasy from reality. You know your child better than I do. For my DD, the answer would have been a definite "no" at that age. For DS, it would have been no problem.

My DD went on Spiderman last year when she was 5 and LOVED it - it was her favorite ride. She also enjoyed Space Mountain, BTMRR, Splash Mountain, Pirates, Haunted Mansion; however, was terrified on Dinosaur and didn't care too much for Honey, I Shrunk the Audience, either. To me, HISTA is much tamer than Spiderman, so I guess you never know.

My six year old was a little freaked out the first time he rode it, but he decided to go again and loved it.

Maybe your son could ride the first time without the glasses.

My then five year old son (in 2000) rode it twice, he ended up taking off his 3-D glasses, but he still loved it!

Not too intense for my 5 yo. He absolutely adored it! (In two trips last year, he rode it a total of 47 times, including a record 11x in a row in one hour just before closing. We were staying on-site.)

This is the same kid who does not like Space Mtn. (he rode it at DL) and will not go near TOT. Spiderman is not really a very dark ride, nor is it really a coaster. It's a rolling simulator, so no big drops (there is an illusory drop done with the 3-D effect, but you're really only leaning forward). I think most 5 yos will be up to it, as long as they are not disturbed by much-bigger-than-lifesize villains jumping out at them in 3-D.

It just really depends on your child. My ds rode it for the first time our last trip. He was 3 (very close to 4) and he loved. He is very adventurous like the rest of his family. He also rode BTMRR, Dinosaur and ToT and had a great time on all of them.

My son was one month shy of 5 when we visited this past November and he absolutely LOVED it. We rode numerous times. Now Shrek, he hated, was scared to death but loves the movie. Go figure...........:wave:

I don't have kids, so I can't help on the 5 yo part.

But just a warning for the adults!!!

If you get motion sickness from spinning around in a circle (like on the tea cups, for example), either take dramamine or skip it. I didn't know it spun, and came very close to puking after the ride.

It's a fantastic ride though, so if you LOVE intense rides, take the damamine and go for it!

Thanks for the input - I am more confident in taking him on it after your comments! Worse case scenario we'll just take off the glasses!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter