Special needs parade viewing areas?

riu girl

DIS Veteran
Will apply for a GAC for my DD7 during our upcoming trip to WDW and was just wondering what the parade viewing areas are like at MK and AK? I am going to request the stamp "to be able to use a stroller as a wheelchair" for her to keep her distance from the other WDW guests. I assume with this stamp I will be able to use the special needs viewing areas?

More Questions:
1. We will be at MK and AK during a very busy time (the week before Christmas) and was wondering if the special needs parade viewing areas are as busy as the regular viewing areas?

2. Also wondering if these areas are reserved for special needs people for the fireworks (MK) as well?

Any info. would be greatly appreciated.
Thank-you
Suzy V.

Anytime other then MVMCP the handicap viewing areas are very crowded.

There is no special place to watch the fireworks.

I agree, during spectro, and even during the day parade, the handicap viewing areas are really packed. They line up the wheelchairs, right next to each other
and try to get the people to sit behind them or in front of them.
At the MK, the viewing in front of the castle they have
the seats behind the section which get taken first, they also have people sitting in
front of the wheel chair (like little ones, or big ones too) to maximize the space and
get everyone in.

If your needing space, I'm not sure the best place for her because the parades
are really crowded. Anyone have any ideas?

One place its off the main viewing area. Is over by the
plaza pavilian. You can see stuff, but your not right in all the action.
Of course there are lots of peoples heads way over by the streets,
and its not the best view.
On that patio, you aren't suppose to move the chairs. So, where the chairs are,
is where they stay, so you wouldn't have a ton of people on top of you.
We were in this area on our last trip. We arrived really late to MK for spectro
and just watched it there. The MK CM's kept coming over if people were standing by the railings, and if people moved the chairs.

Its defintely not the best view, but could maybe limit the number of people around your child. Now, wheelchairs are allowed to pull up the the railing section. I know, sounds weird, but I was allowed to sit in the wheel chair, but my husband had to move the chair, he borrowed from another table. Luckily, people at the table right there, gave us one of their empty seats to use.

Almost forgot, you can see a lot of wishes fireworks too. Some of it is blocked if you are far under the overhand, as fireworks are up in the sky.

I'm not sure if your child would enjoy being so far away, viewing isn't the best there.
It seems like your far away. Just an idea, as its not packed with people.
When you get your GAC, maybe they have better advice for parade viewing.
Good Luck,
Connie

zumbergc said:
I agree, during spectro, and even during the day parade, the handicap viewing areas are really packed. They line up the wheelchairs, right next to each other
and try to get the people to sit behind them or in front of them.
Connie
We've found the same thing and that you need to be there pretty early in order to get a spot, so we don't use the special needs viewing areas.
You are going during a pretty busy time, so I'd expect it to be fairly crowded.

I'm not sure about the AK parade. You may find it a bit better there.

The hint I'd suggest for viewing spots is to ask at the status board. There is one toward the entrance of each park (MK's is at the end of Main Street on the left, in front of the castle). The have the current wait times, which attractions have fastpass and info on show times. We've found the CMs there to be very knowledgeable and it's usually less busy there to ask questions than asking at Guest Relations.

You can also see the fireworks and parade from Frontierland. I'd suggest watching the fireworks from a bridge in Frontierland. Mind you, it's not a great place to see the parade, but it shouldn't ben crowded. Another place to see the fireworks is Toontown. No parade- just fireworks, but it won't be crowded at all. I'm thinking if you watch the fireworks from Crystal Palace, you may me able to see Tinkerbelle fly. But to see the parade, you must be on the parade route, and that will be very crowded. Also, if you go to the beach at the Polynesian, you won't have very many people around you at all. I understand the music is piped in there.

I would suggest not using the wheelchair viewing areas. We usually find a spot at mk back by pecos bills . We bring a couple of rain poncos and spred them out.Then one of us stays put and the other one takes DD6 for a walk in her wheelchair. At AK the whellcair veiwing areas are not so crowed but what we do is, most people do not relize that the parade starts and finishes at the same place so it will pass in front of the Tusker house twice. On the retuen trip no one will be waiting! :earseek:

I just wanted to mention, we were just at MK, and a GAC which was stated, stroller to be used as wheel chair. This parent was told they were not permitted to
use the wheelchair parade viewing area.

I heard the CM mention what the gac said, but wasn't sure exactly why they
couldn't watch the parade in the wheelchair section. I know the mom wasn't
happy, and went looking for another spot. I'm not sure if this is the norm and the
rules or if the CM should have let them stay in the wheelchair section.
Maybe someone else can comment more.

Connie

zumbergc said:
I just wanted to mention, we were just at MK, and a GAC which was stated, stroller to be used as wheel chair. This parent was told they were not permitted to
use the wheelchair parade viewing area.

I heard the CM mention what the gac said, but wasn't sure exactly why they
couldn't watch the parade in the wheelchair section. I know the mom wasn't
happy, and went looking for another spot. I'm not sure if this is the norm and the
rules or if the CM should have let them stay in the wheelchair section.
Maybe someone else can comment more.

Connie
I'm not sure either whether that was policy or an individual CM's interpretation. I know people in the past have posted they were able to use the special viewing areas. It might be just for now because of general busy-ness of the area and (possibly) thinking someone with a stroller could just park the stroller by the curb like other people with strollers.
Besides needing to get there early and stay there (not easy with DD, who is not the most patient person), we found the special viewing areas were usually very crowded (wheelchairs parked as close as humanly possible), with other family members standing behind the wheelchair. This just doesn't work for us. We need a "buffer" between DD and strangers that the special viewing areas don't provide.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter