Southwest to have assigned seating

thank you thats what Ive been trying to say
and like I brought up before are the parents going to pay to pick seats for the kids or just wait and see what they get at checkin

just wonder too if by chance they fly on a different airline that has the option to pay extra to pick your seats when booking do they pay for the seats then

I’m excited about this change and the extra legroom option. DH is 6’5” and DS15 is already 6’4”. We never fly SW because of the open boarding-we always fly American or United because we are able to purchase extra legroom for them (they are too tall for standard seats). Being able to pay for extra legroom on SW will give us another option for travel.

Yeah on my last Southwest flight there were announcements that everyone in the late B/all of C group had to check their bags due to zero available overhead space.
Noticed since late Spring, SWA has been more diligent about carryon items…to point where they often insist people stuff blankets & neck pillows into their carry on or personal item.

If they board the back of the plane first, there is assuredly a % of people who will stow their overhead carryon into the first space they see.

Often, they try to bolt to front to exit early. No idea if they have a connection to catch or they just feel compelled to get off the plane quickly.
IMO, if you want the best chance of sitting with your travelling companions, you pay EBCI (or pay for seat selection on other airlines) for everyone
Or, you head to the back 1/3 of the plane during open boarding.

One thing I was mulling over when flying this past week:

When booking SWA using points with an accompanying minor, I need to call in to link the reservations and cannot modify them online.

Never needed to alert Spirit of this when booking for a minor or an adult (on a separate confirmation). However, we’ve always been assigned adjacent seats…far back in the plane. No problem by me as we are talking $29 sort of fares to begin with for bonus trips.

I’d like to think if Spirit can manage it, SWA should be able to do so too, as long as one does sign into their reward/frequent traveler account.

Noticed since late Spring, SWA has been more diligent about carryon items…to point where they often insist people stuff blankets & neck pillows into their carry on or personal item.
This is concerning...

I fly with a neck pillow and it specifically says on the SWA website that "neck pillows" do NOT count towards your carry-on allotment.

One personal item

• Goes under your seat
  • Examples: purse (including crossbody bags), briefcase, laptop computer case, backpack, pillow (neck pillows do not count toward the carryon limit), blanket, small camera
I travel light (a 20" rolling carry-on and a purse) so I won't have a place to stuff my neck pillow if they tell me I cannot bring it on by itself. I don't want to have an issue at the gate so is this something I should address and clarify before boarding starts??

This is concerning...

I fly with a neck pillow and it specifically says on the SWA website that "neck pillows" do NOT count towards your carry-on allotment.

One personal item

• Goes under your seat
  • Examples: purse (including crossbody bags), briefcase, laptop computer case, backpack, pillow (neck pillows do not count toward the carryon limit), blanket, small camera
I travel light (a 20" rolling carry-on and a purse) so I won't have a place to stuff my neck pillow if they tell me I cannot bring it on by itself. I don't want to have an issue at the gate so is this something I should address and clarify before boarding starts??
My kid always takes a neck pillow on our SW flights. He either wears it around his neck or has it snapped on the handle of his carryon. It has never been an issue, and we fly about once a month.

My kid always takes a neck pillow on our SW flights. He either wears it around his neck or has it snapped on the handle of his carryon. It has never been an issue, and we fly about once a month.
Perfect! I have a Cabeau pillow and it rolls up into a case that clips on to my purse or my rolling bag. It looks like a small bag, but it is a neck pillow.

This is concerning...

One personal item

• Goes under your seat

No, it counts towards your one personal item allotment. So, if you have a purse and a neck pillow, now that's two personal items. So, most people carrying a carry-on, a personal item, and a neck pillow have to stuff that neck pillow into something cuz they can only bring two items on board.

No, it counts towards your one personal item allotment. So, if you have a purse and a neck pillow, now that's two personal items. So, most people carrying a carry-on, a personal item, and a neck pillow have to stuff that neck pillow into something cuz they can only bring two items on board.
This is not true, according to the SW website, copied and pasted....

I want to know about the carryon & personal items policy​

Baggage
You may bring one carryon bag and one personal item without charge (subject to the limitations below). The bag should be stowed in the overhead compartment, and your small personal item should be stowed under your seat.
Sizing up your carryon and personal item:
One carryon bag
  • Goes in overhead bin
  • Size limits: 24” (L) + 16” (W) + 10” (H). Wheels, handles, and attachments to your carryon will apply toward these dimensions.
  • Examples: roller bag, small suitcase
One personal item
  • Goes under your seat
If you're traveling with a pet, the pet carrier is counted as either your personal item or carryon

I am not discounting anyone's personal experience. I am only stating that if SW is actively refusing a neck pillow in addition to a carry-on and personal item, then they are not following their own rules.

Neck pillows are explicitly exempt from the Southwest carry on policy. They do not count towards either the carry on or personal item limits.

On our flight out of CMH at the nearby gate they specifically said you have to put your neck pillows into a bag. She wasn’t playing. She said she would pull you out of line until you had all belongings in 2 bags. She did pull at least one person out of line and made him condense his stuff into 2 bags while she boarded people behind him. It was the most strict boarding we ever saw. Idk what policy is but with this employee you had to put it in your bag. The person boarding us was not as strict and I can’t remember if they mentioned this or not since we didn’t have any

On our flight out of CMH at the nearby gate they specifically said you have to put your neck pillows into a bag. She wasn’t playing. She said she would pull you out of line until you had all belongings in 2 bags. She did pull at least one person out of line and made him condense his stuff into 2 bags while she boarded people behind him. It was the most strict boarding we ever saw. Idk what policy is but with this employee you had to put it in your bag. The person boarding us was not as strict and I can’t remember if they mentioned this or not since we didn’t have any

I’ve heard the same thing. As far as it being policy listed on the website, they always give their gate agents the ability to use their judgment & they get the final say so. So if the gate agent says consolidate, I wouldn’t argue with them if you want to get on the plane.

Last edited:
I’ve had some flights where no one was able to take carryon roller bags on the flight and had to gate check. Gate personnel can always change the rules based on the need at the time.

I’ve heard the same thing. As far as it being policy listed on the website, they always give their gate agents the ability to use their judgment & they get the final say so. So if the gate agent says consolidate, I wouldn’t argue with them if you want to get on the plane.

My daughter and I are kind of autistic rule followers and actually we were both listening to that gate agent with a level of awe and fascination. Neither knew the other was listening so intently because we were both dead silent not wanting to miss a word. She was like a parent yelling at unruly teens. She said she wasn’t playing and if you thought she was playing just ask the man who lost his boarding position consolidating his bags while everyone else passed him by.

We just took a round trip flight, and they did always mention the one carryon and one personal item. I also remember hearing an announcement about if you have a neck pillow that counts as an item so put it in your bag. The only reason I actually remember that is this was the first time I’ve ever had one with me. I was thinking glad it’s already in my bag. I don’t know if that wording was always used, and I don’t even know if that was for our flight or a gate nearby. I just distinctly remember hearing it once and thinking that it was weird that you couldn’t just have it around your neck. I dont really pay much attention to the announcements. Wish I would’ve now to see if they always said that and the gates nearby also.

I seem to recall the FAA clarifying/confirming what counted as personal items not too long ago. Lots of people were stuffing clothes into pillows/pillowcases to try to get around the limits, so the FAA (and then airlines) had to crack down. So that may be the reason for the variability-it used to not be a problem, but the FAA has recently changed/clarified its policy.

I know that neck pillows are different than full pillows (which were the more likely offender for those trying to skirt carry on limits/guidelines). But I'm guessing some gate agents are lumping them in together and just saying "no pillows" to keep things simpler.

My kid just got back from a trip on SW but not to MCO. All flights were full, though. I asked him about his neck pillow, and he said he either wore it around his neck or had it clipped to his bag. He doesn’t remember them specifically stating anything about it. He was A1-A15 on all four flight, so maybe those who boarded later and may have had more limited overhead space could have been affected.

I seem to recall the FAA clarifying/confirming what counted as personal items not too long ago. Lots of people were stuffing clothes into pillows/pillowcases to try to get around the limits, so the FAA (and then airlines) had to crack down. So that may be the reason for the variability-it used to not be a problem, but the FAA has recently changed/clarified its policy.

I know that neck pillows are different than full pillows (which were the more likely offender for those trying to skirt carry on limits/guidelines). But I'm guessing some gate agents are lumping them in together and just saying "no pillows" to keep things simpler.
I have seen neck pillows on sale online that are empty and advertised as extra packing space. Here are three, but there are dozens. It could be that these are what is causing the change in policy.

IMG_1200.jpeg

My kid always takes a neck pillow on our SW flights.
lucky? Lenient FAs. Only carryon & the neck pillow as personal item?

Regardless, usually it's easy enough to quickly squish that sort of pliable material into even a full book bag or carry on

Bingo.

Flights to MCO from my burg tend to be heavily full of kids carrying all sorts of 'extra' things. From large stuffed animals, big throws, even full size pillows.

Coming back from MCO usually amazed at people with multiple large park shopping bags along with their regular carryon luggage. Have heard them make announcements asking people to consolidate. Still, it's wild watching the number of items people blithely bring on when boarding there

Just need to be prepared, many FAs no longer turn that blind eye as they did in the past.
She said she wasn’t playing and if you thought she was playing just ask the man who lost his boarding position consolidating his bags while everyone else passed him by.
Yes, saw the same on two different flights the last few months

I’m excited about this change and the extra legroom option. DH is 6’5” and DS15 is already 6’4”. We never fly SW because of the open boarding-we always fly American or United because we are able to purchase extra legroom for them (they are too tall for standard seats). Being able to pay for extra legroom on SW will give us another option for travel.
My husband is more than 6ft 5 and he primarily flies SWA. They actually have more pitch than you'd think more than Delta, American and United for example (economy seating for Legacy carriers compared).

(ETA: he's done 18 one way flights this year alone with SWA)

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest