• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Southwest Fans... are you reconsidering

Has your dedication to SW changed?

• No, they're still my "go to" choice.

Votes: 93 40.4%
  • I'll look elsewhere, but will probably book with SW.

Votes: 56 24.3%
  • I'll look elsewhere, and am more willing to book elsewhere.

Votes: 56 24.3%
  • I will book with another airline.

Votes: 25 10.9%

• Total voters
Thanks, yes the Tuesday sale wherein somebody catches a deal:rolleyes1 The flight leg I booked Sunday is now $50 more pp lol.

At least w SWA if u do find a lower when ckg can modify it
Eh a sale is a sale, like I said they run them frequently. Don't see much of those on other airlines ;)

Most often release day is best to book then sales they run can reduce it as well as normal fluctuations in airfare pricing (always check in incognito mode with any airline!).

I do love the modifying for sure. We've had 4 times so far for our flight to Cancun in April reduced in points more than 12,600 points back for 2 people from end of September last year to just about end of November last year. Our flight back home from Cancun is back down from what it was (which was higher than we booked for a while) but is about 3,000 pts more than we booked it for. We'll continue to watch out for that one.

Careful out of Cancun on SWA. While in terminal they changed gate (just across the concourse) & moved our scheduled departure time up. Not a lot, just 20 min. Usually, the opposite sort of thing tho
Yeah haven't really seen moved up departure that day, that would make me think they switched flights entirely as in the flight number changed. I'm not sure you can really do that though (as in not sure that was according to their policy) considering their policy is you must check in 10 mins before departure time. They would still have to wait for all passengers to board if you're going to move up a departure assumingly with just hours max before the flight and boarding starts 30 mins ahead so I'm sure they would create a cluster of a mess. When was this for you?

We've had flight changes (very rare though) but it was last year when SWA went nutty and was moving everyone's schedule around. Our flight to Vegas for instance started at like 5:20 am and ended up at 5:05am but that was still months before the flight.

When was this for you?
Precovid. have only visited Mexico a handful of times. It’s off my radar now & I’m no expert there by any means as to how they generally roll as to keeping to scedules at the airport for gate departures to the US/international flights

i certainly don’t think backdating a flight departure is common, even now with so many odd situations arising. We’d certainly have heard of it if so. Usually the opposite situation, if not an outright cancellation.

at the time the thot crossed my mind that perhaps whatever government agency in Mexico handles the airport may have had an issue of some sort. :confused3 there was some unrest going on south/interior of Cancun proper, wherein we encountered many more Federales & checkpoints than in the past when bouncing around the interior’s various archeological sites. Most guests would’ve never noticed anything, as being inside the tourist area is so insular.

Last edited:

Precovid. have only visited Mexico a handful of times. It’s off my radar now & I’m no expert there by any means as to how they generally roll as to keeping to scedules at the airport for gate departures to the US/international flights

i certainly don’t think backdating a flight departure is common, even now with so many odd situations arising. We’d certainly have heard of it if so. Usually the opposite situation, if not an outright cancellation.

at the time the thot crossed my mind that perhaps whatever government agency in Mexico handles the airport may have had an issue of some sort. :confused3 there was some unrest going on south/interior of Cancun proper, wherein we encountered many more Federales & checkpoints than in the past when bouncing around the interior’s various archeological sites. Most guests would’ve never noticed anything, as being inside the tourist area is so insular.
We've been keeping an eye out on travel warnings and uptick in crime stuff. They have been doing road work on the main ways to get to the airport that was making the advice to arrive 4-5 hours in advance of your flight just to include traffic jams but that seems to have been eased up. They did just make the process much easier to get into Mexico for U.S. and Canadian citizens as far as paperwork so that is nice. We do have a evening (I think 5pm or so) flight out of Cancun so that adds to potential issues that could happen. Appreciate you sharing your experience.

speaking of curiosity lol, did you find a decent fare to book for this trip? Still waiting for ours. Hate the thot of paying nearly $500 pp when the yearly norm used to be $250 to $350-at most for those same dates.
We are flying MHT to MCO, actually got a great rate of $292.59 round trip last week of July. We decided to take a cheaper "wanna get away price" and fly late in the day the day before. We will stay in an airport hotel because we arrive at 11:55 pm, then in the morning head to WL.

Their prices have been very high for me the last couple of years and there are hardly any nonstops. So I've been flying them less and less.

If it was expensive or inconvenient to fly SW I would look elsewhere also. I fly to MCO out of Reagan airport (I live 10 minutes from the airport). I like the first non-stop out in the AM, usually 6:00, and the last flight home in the evening. In Dec on weekdays my flights were 3668 pts and 3091 pts. In Feb I am flying on a Saturday, so it's 6879 pts, and flying home on a weekday evening, $49. Even if I am delayed, still works for me.

DH flew SW to Belize in November (for some reason they did not have a flight back on his date so he had to do American home) and he flew them to and from the Cayman Islands in December.

I know there are many here who use SW. Have the multiple problems that SW has had this year changed your thinking? Yes, I get all airlines have problems, but it seems like SW has had major issues a couple times this year that other airlines have not had.
My experiences with SW over the past 20 years with trips at least once every year were always positive. However, I am trying to book flights for a trip this August, and I am very disappointed to see that SW no longer has nonstop flights. That's a deal breaker for me.

My experiences with SW over the past 20 years with trips at least once every year were always positive. However, I am trying to book flights for a trip this August, and I am very disappointed to see that SW no longer has nonstop flights. That's a deal breaker for me.
I was going to answer your other thread located here https://www.disboards.com/threads/no-nonstop-flights.3907513/

but since you posted here as well I'll just answer here.

1) Flights are only available through August 13th at the moment. Next release (subject to change) is February 9th which will put flights out through October 4th

2) PHL does have non-stop flights to Orlando

3) According to their info https://www.southwest.com/routes/flights-from-philadelphia-to-orlando

*Note this is only accurate until 1/31/23.* It's been my experience that this webpage listed above goes in monthly increments so eventually you'll see February then March and so on so you can always check that webpage in the future.
1674336217048.png

4) What dates in August are you looking for?
I went through all the dates available and like a poster mentioned on the other thread during the week presently no I am not seeing non-stop however I see four non-stops on Saturday 8/5, one non-stop on Sunday 8/6. four non-stops on Saturday 8/12, one non-stop on Sunday 8/13. I did not check options coming from Orlando to PHL just PHL to Orlando.

They def. are running non-stops but they may not be running them on the days you want. Are you flying only M-F? It's possible as well that more flights could be added or existing flights adjusted. I would check again especially around the new release date in February.

Thank you. Our dates are 8/8 to 8/14, so we’re flying on Tuesday and Monday. I may go with Frontier, but my hesitation is that they only fly once a day, so if the flight is cancelled, we’re out of luck. Also their baggage fees are so high.

Thank you. Our dates are 8/8 to 8/14, so we’re flying on Tuesday and Monday. I may go with Frontier, but my hesitation is that they only fly once a day, so if the flight is cancelled, we’re out of luck. Also their baggage fees are so high.
I'm not so keen on one flight a day either so I can understand the hesitancy there.

And I def. understand the let down not having those non-stops are.

We are going to Cancun in April and non-stop is seasonal there (all airlines from my home airport that go non-stop are also seasonal for the non-stop for Cancun) and unfortunately during the week SWA does not have those non-stops. They are only Saturday and Sunday. However, Frontier doesn't even fly there at all on the day we are (a Monday) and they only operate one flight from Cancun back home on the day we fly (a Tuesday) so like your situation although the flight is non-stop. American Airlines doesn't have any non-stops for that Monday nor the way back on that Tuesday.

It's frustrating for sure :flower3:

Honestly, I know a lot of people really Southwest and I think overall they are fine but definitely not our favorite. I think it all depends where you a flying out of and to. Out of our home airport in Boston there are hardly any non stop flights and their prices are generally the same If not higher than some other airlines. I have heard it has to do with the contract they have here in Boston. We are flying with them for our next flight and the only reason we ended up booking with them was because it is a school vacation week. Given that it is in February I am little concerned with possible weather disruptions and delays With them more than I would be with other airlines, even though other airlines can have the similar disruptions, Southwest just seems to take longer to recover.

I have Southwest booked for June - but I saw the other day that the Pilots labor agreement is running out in May. Since I booked on points I have kept those flights but went and booked a back up totally refundable flight on United. Will have to drive about 1 hour to the airport for the United flight vs 30 min. for the Southwest flight but I am not having everything in jeopardy IF the Southwest pilots go out on strike. If they strike I am assuming that Southwest will probably cut the flights down considerably and my non-stop may no longer be a non-stop.

Over a 4 hour delay got us vouchers, so I guess we will have to fly SW one more time. Hoping no delays on our return flight. Delay was because when all were on plane, crew realized plane had a broken part and could not be flown. What? Why did they not know that until we were ready to go?

And so, part was far away, and drive to get part would be more than a few hours drive, hello football game fans clogging the highways, to make drive even longer. They finally got another plane to come. We left 4 and 1/2 hours from originally scheduled time. Oh well. Sad to say, we may be looking at other airlines for at least one way.

Even more sadly, we have to travel on weekends, as no direct SW flights week days, and very few no stop ones in the weekends too. Sigh. They used to be great when they finally came to our city. But as our city, while very large, is not a SW hub, so why I guess SW service is so cut down in availability of non stop flights.

Delay was because when all were on plane, crew realized plane had a broken part and could not be flown. What? Why did they not know that until we were ready to go?
Because stuff like that happens all the time on many airlines. Sensors go off. A part breaks but was fine the flight before, etc. Unfortunately part of flying in general. In the last 2 or so years there is a lot more stress in getting planes in and out fast.

But as our city, while very large, is not a SW hub, so why I guess SW service is so cut down in availability of non stop flights
SWA doesn't really have traditional hubs, focus cities yes. Size of city doesn't necessarily matter. Stragically places areas are what airlines generally do. If they can't compete in a given area they may pull out too. For SWA in particular they try not to have too much concentration in an area with multiple nearby airports so you'll see less in LA for example or NYC area because they have multiple airports servicing a particular area they usually choose just one or two airports to really focus on. In a surprising move IMO my home airport is getting non-stop SWA to Long Beach. Presently only LAX has the non-stops for any airline for my home airport.

Why did they not know that until we were ready to go?
There's a checklist for every part of the flight, starting when the pilots arrive at the plane (including an exterior walk around check). Depending on where the failed part is "checked", it can easily be after passengers are on board, after the door is closed, and even after pushback from the gate.

One time we were on a Delta flight (1st leg) and we pushed back from the gate, whatever "widget" showed it's failure indicator, and we had to pull back in. Ended up missing our connecting flight, Delta actually had us rebooked and new BP on our phones before we deplaned in ATL (connecting to Mexico).

Unfortunately, we were on our way to a family vacation in Mexico, my parents were already there but we didn't have a good way of getting in touch with them (they had their cell phones off), so we were hours late and they had no idea why.

And before someone says "call the hotel", we called the TA who put the trip together and notified her what was happening, and assumed she'd get in touch with my parents. She didn't.

Over a 4 hour delay got us vouchers, so I guess we will have to fly SW one more time. Hoping no delays on our return flight. Delay was because when all were on plane, crew realized plane had a broken part and could not be flown. What? Why did they not know that until we were ready to go?

And so, part was far away, and drive to get part would be more than a few hours drive, hello football game fans clogging the highways, to make drive even longer. They finally got another plane to come. We left 4 and 1/2 hours from originally scheduled time. Oh well. Sad to say, we may be looking at other airlines for at least one way.
We had a similar issue happen while trying to fly out Saturday morning, ended up being delayed almost six hours because of an issue found during the pilot's inspection. Our problem wasn't even getting maintenance to check the plane (which was fine and we were able to fly), it had to do with bureaucratic red tape (aka the FAA) being required to sign off on the repairs to the plane.

Was it annoying and inconvenient? Yes. Do I hope that we get some compensation for it? Yes (we ended up receiving $200 LUV Vouchers per person, which isn't too bad considering I paid $49/person for this flight). Am I going to quit flying Southwest because of it? No. My wife and I have had significant maintenance delays with Southwest, American, and United. Just like cars break down, planes break from time to time. Unfortunately, it's just how things work. At the end of the day, it could happen to any airline at any time and all we can do is hope that we're able to get to where we're trying to go on time.

I hope the rest of your experience wasn't too bad and that things work out for your return flight.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter