' Southern California (& Disneyland): Backstage Magic Meets Thread | Page 26 | The DIS Disney Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

Southern California (& Disneyland): Backstage Magic Meets Thread

Discussion in 'Adventures By Disney' started by sayhello, May 29, 2012.

1. Chirple

Chirple DIS Veteran

I saw that and was hoping that my husband would pick your trip. I think he wanted to pick the one closest to Labor Day without actually being away for Labor Day.

acndis likes this.
  2. msk

msk Mouseketeer

We've booked the Sept 22, 2019 trip. Anyone else? This is our first ABD. It is also our first "real" trip to Disneyland. I went as a child and my DH and I went for one night many years ago. I'm really looking forward to this trip and the beginning of many more!

Chirple and sayhello like this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. Steven G

Steven G Mouseketeer

I just booked June 9, 2019, this will be our second backstage magic abd... I plan to go to universal afterwards.

5. atlmgm

atlmgm Earning My Ears

UPS just delivered my ABD package for the JULY 15 Backstage Magic trip!!!!

sayhello and Chirple like this.
  6. acndis

acndis Mouseketeer

Post Days and Pre Days
    I was able to go ahead and book my post day for our August 2019 Adventure at the Grand Californian. It was pricey but not horrible and I am worried about prices going up (and room availability going down) if I wait.

For our pre days, we were thinking of spending 4 days in Santa Monica either at Shutters or the Fairmont Miramar. Both are pricey. Is that too long a stay in Santa Monica? My son loves the beach but I worry that Santa Monica beach may not be a great place to swim. Would it be better to stay in LA and head to Santa Monica for the day? Or, is Santa Monica an ideal home base?

Any advice appreciated (it's been long time since I have been in LA).

sayhello likes this.
  7. sayhello

sayhello Have Camera, Will Travel

Santa Monica is convenient to LAX (it's pretty much a straight shot up PCH). Cute little beach town, great shopping, lots of cool little restaurants. great walking beach, cool pier. I don't know about swimming; I haven't swum in that area since I was a kid.

Whether Santa Monica is an ideal base or not depends on where you plan to go from there. It's not what I'd call centrally located, but there are a lot of freeways you can get on from there.

Sayhello

acndis likes this.
  8. haskaro

haskaro Earning My Ears

Anyone booked for the trip starting in a matter of days on 27th May 2018?

9. Shadowfan

Shadowfan Earning My Ears

Yes! We booked last May and can hardly believe it’s nearly time to go.

10. haskaro

haskaro Earning My Ears

:)
    Where are you travelling from? We are heading over from the UK a few days before - getting very excited now
    See you in Hollywood in a few days

sayhello likes this.
  11. Jason Martin

Jason Martin JDM

Anybody booked for 6/17-6/22. Excited for our first one and we just booked the Pixar Fest Premier night to end our trip.

12. Shadowfan

Shadowfan Earning My Ears

We are travelling from Northeast Ohio. I hope your trip over goes well—see you soon!

13. acndis

acndis Mouseketeer

Looks like there is a pretty good chance that Galaxy's Edge will be open for those of us going Summer 2019! I am super excited (and glad I already booked my post day). Crowds should be crazy! I am glad we will be getting some special treatment!

sayhello, Chirple and CaliKris like this.
  14. Chirple

Chirple DIS Veteran

^^^This! I told my husband about the opening timeframe and that we have a good possibility of being there when it's open. We also booked a post-day (with ABD) and thought it was expensive but might pay for itself in the long run. We haven't stayed at the Grand Californian since 2001.

I went to LA with a friend (also in 2001), and we stayed in Santa Monica. We took a day trip into Hollywood to do the touristy stuff, went to Venice Beach, and took in an Angels vs Yankees game. We did not stay near the beach so it was less expensive, but it did not take us long to get anywhere (except to the baseball game). Our pre-days are going to be based on whether the Dodgers or the Padres are in town since I promised him a baseball game (but just one). If the Dodgers are in town, I'd like to get our pre-stay at the Loews. If they aren't and the Padres will be, our game plan is to fly into San Diego, stay there for the game, and then head to LA. I've already told him that if we going directly to LA that I do not want to rent a car. I think he would love to go to the Griffith Observatory (which I've done) as well.

acndis likes this.