Son's Unit Has Reporter Embedded...Here's Today's Newspaper Update...

TwinMom7

Proud Mom of a United States Marine
Marines Edgy as Convoy Advances into Iraq
WAR ON IRAQ: DESERT DISPATCH

By FRED DODD

SOMEWHERE IN SOUTHERN IRAQ -- South Bend Marines pushed into southern Iraq on Sunday, most in a grueling 16-hour, 19-vehicle convoy that traveled a little more than 100 miles.

Marines were on edge during the trip and prepared for the worst after being warned of local pockets of Iraqi resistance. But they saw little of anything but sand and destroyed Iraqi tanks and personnel carriers.

In fact, they saw more camels than people, and the few Iraqis who lived along the route -- somehow surviving in a virtual wasteland -- smiled and waved at the Marines. Children and parents would all walk out near the vehicles to catch a glimpse of the Americans. A few Marines tossed items from their Meals Ready to Eat (MREs) to the children.

The convoy traveled slowly in what was often deep sand. The South Bend reservists are combat engineers and carry heavy equipment such as bulldozers and backhoes on semi-truck trailers. This trip, they also hauled massive mine sweepers.
Twice, the convoy had to stop when semi-trucks with trailers, leased from Kuwait by the U.S. government -- reportedly at extravagant prices -- broke down, forcing the Marines to abandon the vehicles and their contents and to arrange to have someone else pick up their equipment.

Each time the convoy stopped, Marines leapt from the backs of cargo trucks to create a defensive perimeter around the vehicles. But the only resistance they met was when a herd of camels decided to lounge on the dirt trail just inside the border. A handful of tent dwellings dotted the route.

All along the route, the convoy passed and was passed by other convoys of various sizes. As Engineer Company B approached its destination, it drove by hundreds and hundreds -- maybe even thousands -- of heavy trucks loaded with ammunition, MREs and other supplies, giving Marines an idea of how massive the support effort is.

"It was amazing," said Sgt. Keith Waltz, 27, of LaPorte. "It really shows what a good job we're doing of supplying the units."

Finally, in the early morning hours, the convoy pulled to a halt at its destination entrance point, only to sit for several more hours waiting to be guided to its assigned area. Marines waited in the backs of trucks and on the ground next to the vehicles. Sleeping bags weren't within reach, so the chilly night temperatures made comfortable sleep virtually impossible.

"We tried to sleep in the back of the Humvee, but all you heard was chattering teeth," said Lance Cpl. Joshua Fine, a University of Notre Dame law student who lives in Mishawaka.

"It was the worst ride of my life," said Sgt. Ryan Jones, 24, of Hartford City, Ind. "But what do you expect? It's a war."

-------------------------------

So, girls - last week I worried he was in Iraq...this week I know he's there. :(

Thanks for the update once again. Know this must be hard for you, but also know that we are praying for your son and your family.

God bless them all for the work they are doing.

Patty --
Please continue these update postings on your son and his unit! I find myself thinking of them often and appreciate the updates.

Continuing thoughts to you and your family as well as Bobby and his Boys.
:D

I keep praying for those young men and women. Thanks for the update.

Very much appreciate that you share news . Can only imagine
how concerned you and your family must be. Hang in there and know that there are many people sending positive energy to your son. Today,my friend's 4th graders are writing letters to your son and his buddies. My friend has shared with her class
your posts about your son and the job he's doing .
The kids want to make sure the soldiers know how proud and safe they feel . They are very aware of the danger the soldiers are in because of TV. My Friend said that every day,she has to start the school day,reassuring her class that they are safe. They want to know if CPL Knight and the soldiers are safe too.They look at the map and see how far Iraq is from the US,but there is always one smart little kid that reminds everyone that there could be bad people that are hiding here in US. My friend says that all the teachers have been dealing with
kids who have a lot of fears and questions about war.
Scary times for the world...

Patty,
Thank-you so much for the update. Please stay strong and know that all of us are praying for Bobby and your family and for all of the soldiers!

airhead...

Have your friend tell her class that my son is 7,000 miles away from his home in northern Indiana. Also, if you want to PM me your friend's email address, I'll email her a picture of my son and she can print it out and share it with her children.

Bobby's older sister is a 5th grade school teacher, and he visited with her students before Christmas. His youngest sister is a 5th grade student, and needless to say, her classmates - in fact the entire school has adopted him! It's the same Catholic grade school he graduated from years ago.;)

Thank you so much for your willingness to share your son's story :)

Patty, I know how hard this must be for you to have Bobby in Iraq now. I will be praying for his safety.

Thanks TwinMom7.
I just realized you are from S Bend. I was born a Hoosier. Until 7.5 years ago, we lived in Elkhart.
(My neices work at N.D.)

Patty,

Thank you for this most recent update on Bobby. I think of him so often...seems like I know him! ;) Continued prayers and best wishes go out for your son.

By the way, I had to laugh the other night because I saw a soldier on TV who had a box of some sort of crackers in his hand. I jumped up and squinted at the TV trying to tell if they were Triscuits!! <lol> Turns out he was in the Army....eating Cheez Its! :p

Patty,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share these updates with you. Bobby and his fellow soldiers are in my prayers every day. I hope it won't be long until you hear that success has been achieved and that all of our soldiers are safe and just doing peace keeping.

Patty,

Thanks for sharing, and all of those with loved ones "over there" , thanks for the updates. I know every time I hear a news report I think about the various DIS board folks with sons, husbands, and loved ones in harm's way with the special prayer that they stay safe.

My girls spent last night's meeting writing letters to Pembo's marines - they've adopted the whole group!

All are regularly in our thoughts and prayers. So thanks again for those updates.

Deb

Hugs to you, Patty, and thank you so much for sharing it with us. :)

Thanks for the update Patty! I find myself scanning names on the news whenever they are interviewing a Marine, I keep hoping that it's Bobby! Please keep us updated with all the news, and let him know that there are a LOT of people praying for his safe return. :D

Patty- Once again, thanks for sharing!

A few Marines tossed items from their Meals Ready to Eat (MREs) to the children.
That is so touching. I bet images like that will NEVER be shown on Iraqi TV. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter