"something special" for kids aged 12 and 9...?

ZehnJahren

DIS Veteran
Hello to all,

I might be taking three kids aged 13 (boy, my DNephew), 12 (boy, another DNephew), and 9 (girl, DNiece) to Disney in August. I thought that the 13-year old might like one of the classes through the YES group, but then he'll be getting something special while the other 2 won't. At 13, he's allowed to go to the class by himself, so I could give the adult ticket for the YES program to my niece since I've got an AP. I've been told it doesn't matter if my niece uses an adult ticket, by a Disney CM.

With the budget the way it is (I'd be taking on the total cost), I could use the discounts on YES tickets - but if I take all three to a class, it's only a few dollars less expensive since I have to buy a ticket and I already have an AP; it would be a complete waste. Also, all three would have to be in the same class and I can't imagine it would be interesting for all three due to different interests, as well as the differences in their ages. I thought the 13 year old might like to do something on his own, and we could get a discount out of it as well!

So I was wondering - what could I do for the 12 year old boy? The 9 year old girl? What would be special for each so that no one would be left out? I have never ever taken children before, and this really would be a once-in-a-lifetime trip for them due to the state of their family (they've never been and probably won't be going back). I have a limited budget, so the discount would be great, the class would be great, .... but I don't want kids left out. If this won't work, I'll go back to the drawing board.

Any help?

Hello to all,

I might be taking three kids aged 13 (boy, my DNephew), 12 (boy, another DNephew), and 9 (girl, DNiece) to Disney in August. I thought that the 13-year old might like one of the classes through the YES group, but then he'll be getting something special while the other 2 won't. At 13, he's allowed to go to the class by himself, so I could give the adult ticket for the YES program to my niece since I've got an AP. I've been told it doesn't matter if my niece uses an adult ticket, by a Disney CM.

With the budget the way it is (I'd be taking on the total cost), I could use the discounts on YES tickets - but if I take all three to a class, it's only a few dollars less expensive since I have to buy a ticket and I already have an AP; it would be a complete waste. Also, all three would have to be in the same class and I can't imagine it would be interesting for all three due to different interests, as well as the differences in their ages. I thought the 13 year old might like to do something on his own, and we could get a discount out of it as well!

So I was wondering - what could I do for the 12 year old boy? The 9 year old girl? What would be special for each so that no one would be left out? I have never ever taken children before, and this really would be a once-in-a-lifetime trip for them due to the state of their family (they've never been and probably won't be going back). I have a limited budget, so the discount would be great, the class would be great, .... but I don't want kids left out. If this won't work, I'll go back to the drawing board.

Any help?

What about the Behind the Seeds tour at The Land? Are you looking for something to do while the 13 year old is physically in the class or can it be something done on another day? There is always the BBB or Pirates League, too.

Tea at the GF
BBB/Pirates League
Behind the Seeds tour
Harmony Barbershop
Waterpark or Disneyquest
Pick a pearl

I can think of more things for the 9 year old to do - Disney seems full of girly fun. But for the 12 year old, it's more difficult!

If the 12 year old likes pirates, then do the Pirates League for him.

Harmony barbershop will do colored hair-gel and confetti (very cute for boys and girls) for only $7.50.

Pick a Pearl at Epcot is only $15 for the pearl, and you can get a "cage" type necklace online before you go for just a couple of dollars. There's a thread somewhere on the boards with lots of information on pick a pearl if you do a search.

You could also take them to Downtown Disney and give them a set amount of money they can spend. Lego Store, massive World of Disney, make your own t-shirt, Once Upon a Toy, Goofy's candy store -- lots of places to spend money. You could combine it with lunch at Rainforest or T-Rex, too.

Oh, what about renting water mice? The 12 year old is old enough to drive himself, I think, so you could ride with the 9 year old. Lots of places to do that.

You could simply take them to Beaches and Cream and Surprise them with the Kitchen Sink...or go to Ghirardelli at DTd and get them the Earthquake.

Won't cost you a fortune and how often do kids get to order a kitchen sink?

I vote for pirates league! My DD (8 last year) and her friend absolutely loved it! They still play pirates when they get together, and still remember their pirate names.

Oh, what about renting water mice? The 12 year old is old enough to drive himself, I think, so you could ride with the 9 year old. Lots of places to do that.

I like this idea. I have a ds13, and there is NO WAY, at 12, he wanted to be made up to look like a pirate, or have glitter in his hair.

If it's their only trip, then all of disney is going to be special to them. The extra add-ons take time away from experiencing the rides, shows, parades. They're also old enough to understand if the class was in order to get the discount and there's only one class and it went to so-and-so because he's the oldest or it fit his interests. My kids are younger (9, 6 & 4) but they would be ok in the situation of only one kid getting a class.

Some things that would be special and cheap:
getting to pick out their own souvenir
staying up late until the park closes
getting to pick which park they go to that day
getting to go on their favorite ride yet again
doing the girl's hair up at the hotel with glitter
getting Mickey bars

They're probably less interested in table service dining and more interested in quick service to get back quickly to doing the attractions. But they'd be old enough to go along with whatever is planned.

The YES tickets also make water parks and hoppers cheap to add on. At that age I would think they'd love the water parks. If the 13-year-old is making it possible to go to the water parks by being the one to take the YES class, I bet they'd all see the benefit in that! Only drawback is that the water parks also take time away from doing the regular parks.

Have a great time, whatever you decide! What a wonderful thing to do as an aunt.

If it's their only trip, then all of disney is going to be special to them. The extra add-ons take time away from experiencing the rides, shows, parades. They're also old enough to understand if the class was in order to get the discount and there's only one class and it went to so-and-so because he's the oldest or it fit his interests. My kids are younger (9, 6 & 4) but they would be ok in the situation of only one kid getting a class.

Some things that would be special and cheap:
getting to pick out their own souvenir
staying up late until the park closes
getting to pick which park they go to that day
getting to go on their favorite ride yet again
doing the girl's hair up at the hotel with glitter
getting Mickey bars

They're probably less interested in table service dining and more interested in quick service to get back quickly to doing the attractions. But they'd be old enough to go along with whatever is planned.

The YES tickets also make water parks and hoppers cheap to add on. At that age I would think they'd love the water parks. If the 13-year-old is making it possible to go to the water parks by being the one to take the YES class, I bet they'd all see the benefit in that! Only drawback is that the water parks also take time away from doing the regular parks.

Have a great time, whatever you decide! What a wonderful thing to do as an aunt.

You've got a good point - I kind of thought that the oldest would like the class the most, and it would make a lot more possible. For example, since I'm paying for everything myself, we couldn't get parkhoppers - if he's in the class, I could get all of our tickets plus parkhoppers, plus the water parks and more option for almost $200 less! We love waterparks, and since it will be hot I have a lot of downtime planned, so Disney Quest would be another great option for us all - we love games, too.

It will be special for many reasons: first away trip with me, first time at Disney, first surprise trip for them (their mom doesn't want them going nuts waiting for the trip; we ARE going to tell them that I'm coming into town to spend time with them and do something fun, they just won't know what - they'd assume the local theme park and zoos, I'm sure, since we used to always do that together before I moved away), and two of the kids will be missing some school, which never happens.

I think you've got a point. I just want them to have a great time - but the budget is fairly tight. I remember being a kid at Disney, and I never knew what the budget was; I brought my own money to spend and that's all I got. I was always excited to get the perfect souvenir (and I still have several of them - my stuffed Pluto that I bought on Main Street is from 1984 and is sitting next to my bed right now!). The parents have said that they'll make sure each kid has souvenir money which will be given to me at the beginning of the trip to dole out as the trip goes on, so that helps the budget, and this would too. Personally, I don't need souvenirs since this would be my fourth trip in the past two years. :cloud9:

You said the 12 year old could do the YES class because of your AP, right? At 12, could he go by himself? If so why not let the boys do the class while you take the 9 y/o girl to BBB to get her hair done, or something like that.

You said the 12 year old could do the YES class because of your AP, right? At 12, could he go by himself? If so why not let the boys do the class while you take the 9 y/o girl to BBB to get her hair done, or something like that.

It's not because of the AP; it's just something Disney offers. He can go alone because he's 13; the 12 year old would need an adult chaperone - which means the 9 year old would be left alone. There's no way to do it; there aren't two classes in the same park that all the kids could go to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter