Something About Nothing............ #14

Gold morning and Happy Mother's Day. I am still in recovery mode from this weekend. My sister and niece got into town late Tuesday night. Fortunately, they stayed at a hotel for the first 2 nights. On Wednesday my niece said she wanted to go shopping. I found it odd that she wanted to shop in our little city since she lives in Atlanta. I later found out that she had met a boy online and he goes to B's university. She wanted to spend the day with him. We met him at dinner Wednesday night. He seemed nice enough. He is a history major like B, and ended up spending more time talking to her than to my niece.

Thursday morning we had to get to campus early because dh had to be at the ceremony for the department of communications. While he did that B and I went to get our honor cords and commencement t-shirts. B had no idea that she was graduating cum laude. She was shocked when she was handed a cord.
Her ceremony was at 2:00 and went very well. There was a professor there who had unusual robes. They were red, and a different style than the other robes. It was later explained that he earned his degree from a university in Scotland. Thursday day night we went to a hibachi restaurant that B chose and then for ice cream.

Friday morning we were up early again, this time for my ceremony at 10:00. We had more graduates in my department than B's, so the ceremony took longer. I thought I was going to fall asleep waiting for my turn to walk the stage. Next was lunch, and then we had a long wait for the main commencement ceremony. We went over to dh's office and sat in a conference room for a few hours. I think most of us fell asleep at one point. About an hour before B and I were supposed to be in the graduate staging area we decided to walk over to that area so we could get a few pictures first. My niece suddenly decided that she needed a smoothie. She and my sister got in line and then my niece had to go somewhere quiet to make a phone call. We had been dealing with issues from them for 2 days and dh finally lost it. He told my sister that we had to leave NOW, and we would meet them at the stadium after commencement. She argued that she didn't know how to get to the stadium. (You could literally see it from where we were.) He told her to take the shuttle bus and we left. My sister had been playing helpless the whole time she had been here. We managed to get some pictures and get to the staging area in time. The commencement service was very nice, it didn't rain, and for the first time in school history we had a fireworks show after the service.

Friday morning I woke up to the sound of my sister's alarm at 6:30 and then to her yelling at my niece to get up. I don't think she got up until after 10:00. Then they had to pack up all of their stuff. There were in town for 3 days/4 nights and between the 2 of them had 4 rolling suitcases, 2 hanging bags, 2 duffel bags, several shopping bags, and at least 3 bags/coolers full of food. The 3 of us aren't taking nearly that much with us for 10 days in California. They did not leave our house until 1:00. After they left we got lunch and then I came home and took a 4 hour nap. This morning I slept until 10:00.

Aside from the. issues with my sister and niece, most of the weekend was enjoyable. I am still waiting for my professor to grade 2 assignments. I know I passed the class. The question is by how much?

Sorry this was so long. Hope all the mothers are having a nice day.

Last edited:
Happy Mother's Day to Everyone:)

My Mom is coming for dinner and to finally be able to enjoy Warm Weather!!! and sit outside. It's finally in the 70's and sunny. So nice to see the trees leafing up, green grass, and perennials poking their heads up in the flower gardens. Love summer. Hope everyone else has a wonderful day too.

Last edited:
FBB51EBD-2FEE-4C81-BA88-19E6F0E0F0CB.jpeg
0E807BA7-887A-4A55-ADF6-98BC18F40E5C.jpeg

Robbie :wave:stole one of my memes lol. Always has goodies.

it’s been a grand day so far here. Nice as the day after a long trip can often be such a drag. Luggage still unpacked, will wait till the morrow.

Ihad to go out & hit up sams club & aldi for quick provisioning this AM. I have to laugh that the latter has the best produce within 7 miles of my house, go figure.

It was jam-packed out, people seemed quite joyful today, lost count of how many Happy Mother’s Day greetings I received, unexpected as the stores on the weekends seem to have their share of rushing, pushy people.

We all go thru it, hard to describe until you do…a rather odd day as the first Mom’s day since I lost my Mom. Experiencing an unsettling feeling that a piece of my heart has disappeared. Keep telling myself it’s best to try to shake it off and think of the happy times and count the blessings. Time eventually made things easier with my Dad’s passing on Father’s Day. Hugs to all.

menu today will be an easy one: grilled, marinated chicken, baked taters, rice, collard greens & a garden salad. Picked up croissants, apple dumplings, big chocolate chunk cookies, ice cream, first watermelon of the season. & some nice, Italian bread. If i get motivated will make a couple of ice cream sandwiches. Pretty sure nobody will go hungry.

the ‘lil had both her state gymnastics meet & regional state WPIAL meet this weekend. She stopped yesterday as soon as we got home to show me her medals :). Tied for third in the first and came in secnd in the latter - triple jump. Quite the feat as she’s such a peanut and it’s usually the lanky kids that do well in it, figure the gymnastics training makes the difference for that strange takeoff method (odd hop, skip and a jump) they use

we will be eating a bit later today as she has a soccer game first. Her Dad had to fill in as the junior varsity (7 & 8th grade) girls coach due to an absence. Good thing he had his credentials and clearances, otherwise they wouldn’t have been eligible to compete.

195DF206-3F7F-459C-98A2-CE6D6B310AA4.jpeg

Charade - should we guess your sister & niece are generally a handful? Usually guests go with the flow for such a momentous event, sorry they were so disruptive. I had missed you were physically walking too. Most I know who went back to finish their bachelors, especially if online, skipped the ceremony outright. The very same people who then said, they wished they did lol. Congrats To you both. Where’s that trip countdown :thumbsup2

carole - well, if you ever decide to move to FL, could be a darn good docent @ KSC. although, I’m not sure if it’s volunteer or not There. Have also heard legend of the Island Mother’s Day buffet, one we’ve always just missed. always wondered why the didn’t extend it for several days as it’s difficult to secure, told it’s popular with the locals.

Safe travels home, Keisha, and we had a 9:30 am flight. We were off that ship fast, returned our rental and made the flight with no issues. Hate SW routes and times lately.
Haha all it takes is one late return to port to nip that early flight after a cruise. Of all lines, ours was Disney, limped in 5 hours late our last sailing. We haven’t booked it since as we didn’t care for their (lack of) response to many visibly troubled guests who were scrambling to make alternate arrangements.

They eventually did reimburse people for flight surcharges. Most people had planned to do the parks again before catching a late flight home. They gave bonus days To those who had individual park tickets. Not a thing for APH...i.e. us.

we didn’t ask for anything. DCL had us all file out a card pre departure indicating our travel plans. Got an email saying we weren’t qualified for anything. Of course, when you read those crowing on the DIS how they were accommodated, it’s rather annoying. File it under it’s the little things that keep guests coming back.

Nice view on the room. I like the standard, royal palm tree views better than pool view. Love to be able to sit on bed & watch the fronds sway lazily in the wind. how long is your getaway this time? Enjoy

View attachment 760602
View attachment 760603

it’s been a grand day so far here. Nice as the day after a long trip can often be such a drag. Luggage still unpacked, will wait till the morrow.

Ihad to go out & hit up sams club & aldi for quick provisioning this AM. I have to laugh that the latter has the best produce within 7 miles of my house, go figure.

It was jam-packed out, people seemed quite joyful today, lost count of how many Happy Mother’s Day greetings I received, unexpected as the stores on the weekends seem to have their share of rushing, pushy people.

We all go thru it, hard to describe until you do…a rather odd day as the first Mom’s day since I lost my Mom. Experiencing an unsettling feeling that a piece of my heart has disappeared. Keep telling myself it’s best to try to shake it off and think of the happy times and count the blessings. Time eventually made things easier with my Dad’s passing on Father’s Day. Hugs to all.

menu today will be an easy one: grilled, marinated chicken, baked taters, rice, collard greens & a garden salad. Picked up croissants, apple dumplings, big chocolate chunk cookies, ice cream, first watermelon of the season. & some nice, Italian bread. If i get motivated will make a couple of ice cream sandwiches. Pretty sure nobody will go hungry.

the ‘lil had both her state gymnastics meet & regional state WPIAL meet this weekend. She stopped yesterday as soon as we got home to show me her medals :). Tied for third in the first and came in secnd in the latter - triple jump. Quite the feat as she’s such a peanut and it’s usually the lanky kids that do well in it, figure the gymnastics training makes the difference for that strange takeoff method (odd hop, skip and a jump) they use

we will be eating a bit later today as she has a soccer game first. Her Dad had to fill in as the junior varsity (7 & 8th grade) girls coach due to an absence. Good thing he had his credentials and clearances, otherwise they wouldn’t have been eligible to compete.

View attachment 760607

Charade - should we guess your sister & niece are generally a handful? Usually guests go with the flow for such a momentous event, sorry they were so disruptive. I had missed you were physically walking too. Most I know who went back to finish their bachelors, especially if online, skipped the ceremony outright. The very same people who then said, they wished they did lol. Congrats To you both. Where’s that trip countdown :thumbsup2

carole - well, if you ever decide to move to FL, could be a darn good docent @ KSC. although, I’m not sure if it’s volunteer or not There. Have also heard legend of the Island Mother’s Day buffet, one we’ve always just missed. always wondered why the didn’t extend it for several days as it’s difficult to secure, told it’s popular with the locals.

Haha all it takes is one late return to port to nip that early flight after a cruise. Of all lines, ours was Disney, limped in 5 hours late our last sailing. We haven’t booked it since as we didn’t care for their (lack of) response to many visibly troubled guests who were scrambling to make alternate arrangements.

They eventually did reimburse people for flight surcharges. Most people had planned to do the parks again before catching a late flight home. They gave bonus days To those who had individual park tickets. Not a thing for APH...i.e. us.

we didn’t ask for anything. DCL had us all file out a card pre departure indicating our travel plans. Got an email saying we weren’t qualified for anything. Of course, when you read those crowing on the DIS how they were accommodated, it’s rather annoying. File it under it’s the little things that keep guests coming back.

Nice view on the room. I like the standard, royal palm tree views better than pool view. Love to be able to sit on bed & watch the fronds sway lazily in the wind. how long is your getaway this time? Enjoy

Keishashadow, those memes made me tear up! They are so true aren't they?
Have a good day today. Your dinner sounds delicious!

Keishashadow, those memes made me tear up! They are so true aren't they?
Have a good day today. Your dinner sounds delicious!
Same to you Ruth! Give your Mom an extra hug for us. :)

these sorts of holidays bring out my soft side and I get ”mushy” sentimental. was raised not to let my slip or my feelings show lol.

a rather odd day as the first Mom’s day since I lost my Mom. Experiencing an unsettling feeling that a piece of my heart has disappeared. Keep telling myself it’s best to try to shake it off and think of the happy times and count the blessings.
Same here. It’s a weird feeling. I keep thinking I forgot to get my mom something for Mother’s Day. I wish she could have seen B graduate.
Charade - should we guess your sister & niece are generally a handful? Usually guests go with the flow for such a momentous event, sorry they were so disruptive. I had missed you were physically walking too. Most I know who went back to finish their bachelors, especially if online, skipped the ceremony outright. The very same people who then said, they wished they did lol. Congrats To you both. Where’s that trip countdown
Yes, my sister and niece can only be taken in small doses. Dh had to show my niece how to use a toaster and manual can opener. I’m amazed that she has lived 21 years and never used these items.
I was determined to walk at my ceremony. It took me so long to get there. Did I show y’all my cap?

IMG_8845.jpeg

New countdown for Disneyland.

IMG_8945.gif

Yay Charade and woot to the countdown. Great looking hat. Yeah sone family members can only be seen some of the time. Hope you are having a nice Mother’s Day.

Hot and in new AP lounge, and it’s crowded and not that cool feeling. Did get our magnets, they had lots to give out. Chilling then getting some iced coffee soon.

Gold morning and Happy Mother's Day. I am still in recovery mode from this weekend. My sister and niece got into town late Tuesday night. Fortunately, they stayed at a hotel for the first 2 nights. On Wednesday my niece said she wanted to go shopping. I found it odd that she wanted to shop in our little city since she lives in Atlanta. I later found out that she had met a boy online and he goes to B's university. She wanted to spend the day with him. We met him at dinner Wednesday night. He seemed nice enough. He is a history major like B, and ended up spending more time talking to her than to my niece.

Thursday morning we had to get to campus early because dh had to be at the ceremony for the department of communications. While he did that B and I went to get our honor cords and commencement t-shirts. B had no idea that she was graduating cum laude. She was shocked when she was handed a cord.
Her ceremony was at 2:00 and went very well. There was a professor there who had unusual robes. They were red, and a different style than the other robes. It was later explained that he earned his degree from a university in Scotland. Thursday day night we went to a hibachi restaurant that B chose and then for ice cream.

Friday morning we were up early again, this time for my ceremony at 10:00. We had more graduates in my department than B's, so the ceremony took longer. I thought I was going to fall asleep waiting for my turn to walk the stage. Next was lunch, and then we had a long wait for the main commencement ceremony. We went over to dh's office and sat in a conference room for a few hours. I think most of us fell asleep at one point. About an hour before B and I were supposed to be in the graduate staging area we decided to walk over to that area so we could get a few pictures first. My niece suddenly decided that she needed a smoothie. She and my sister got in line and then my niece had to go somewhere quiet to make a phone call. We had been dealing with issues from them for 2 days and dh finally lost it. He told my sister that we had to leave NOW, and we would meet them at the stadium after commencement. She argued that she didn't know how to get to the stadium. (You could literally see it from where we were.) He told her to take the shuttle bus and we left. My sister had been playing helpless the whole time she had been here. We managed to get some pictures and get to the staging area in time. The commencement service was very nice, it didn't rain, and for the first time in school history we had a fireworks show after the service.

Friday morning I woke up to the sound of my sister's alarm at 6:30 and then to her yelling at my niece to get up. I don't think she got up until after 10:00. Then they had to pack up all of their stuff. There were in town for 3 days/4 nights and between the 2 of them had 4 rolling suitcases, 2 hanging bags, 2 duffel bags, several shopping bags, and at least 3 bags/coolers full of food. The 3 of us aren't taking nearly that much with us for 10 days in California. They did not leave our house until 1:00. After they left we got lunch and then I came home and took a 4 hour nap. This morning I slept until 10:00.

Aside from the. issues with my sister and niece, most of the weekend was enjoyable. I am still waiting for my professor to grade 2 assignments. I know I passed the class. The question is by how much?

Sorry this was so long. Hope all the mothers are having a nice day.

I know a few people who we call “Penicillin” all right in small doses. Sounds like they were a handful.

Glad it all went well with the Graduations though.

Happy Mother's Day to Everyone:)

My Mom is coming for dinner and to finally be able to enjoy Warm Weather!!! and sit outside. It's finally in the 70's and sunny. So nice to see the trees leafing up, green grass, and perennials poking their heads up in the flower gardens. Love summer. Hope everyone else has a wonderful day too.

Hey Ruth…..enjoy your day with your mum, it sounds adorable.

View attachment 760602
View attachment 760603

View attachment 760607

Love those memes. I was thinking of you this morning with it being Mother’s Day……:hug:

Nice pic of dad and daughter, she did well and yes, glad dad was able to step in and help.

The Islands is their most popular along with Amatista, and yes, they could sell it ten times over. It was lovely……ate my body weight in oysters!!!

Have a lovely day with the family……food sounds gorgeous!

Brunch was excellent. We were very well looked after as always and met the new manager who is lovely. Seems she is trying to sort out their issues and if today is anything to go by, it’s working.

We took loads of pictures, but these were a couple of my plates…….:blush:

5347A491-02B3-470C-8B79-63F75916E1D8.jpeg

19D13214-AF85-4E8A-913E-3EF2CAC6E003.jpeg

EB4F1C38-9A3F-45C2-949A-8A56506D874C.jpeg

110F31B5-A60B-4D56-8C0F-030FA83254D2.jpeg

Seafood was beautiful, prime rib was lovely, sushi was good and the wok experience was excellent. Did I mention seafood…….lush!!!

The little strawberry purse in the dessert pic was my favourite, very fresh and not heavy at all. They were all impressive.

Need to lie down for an hour……….:thumbsup2

I know a few people who we call “Penicillin” all right in small doses. Sounds like they were a handful.

Glad it all went well with the Graduations though.

Hey Ruth…..enjoy your day with your mum, it sounds adorable.

Love those memes. I was thinking of you this morning with it being Mother’s Day……:hug:

Nice pic of dad and daughter, she did well and yes, glad dad was able to step in and help.

The Islands is their most popular along with Amatista, and yes, they could sell it ten times over. It was lovely……ate my body weight in oysters!!!

Have a lovely day with the family……food sounds gorgeous!

Brunch was excellent. We were very well looked after as always and met the new manager who is lovely. Seems she is trying to sort out their issues and if today is anything to go by, it’s working.

We took loads of pictures, but these were a couple of my plates…….:blush:

View attachment 760680

View attachment 760682

View attachment 760685

View attachment 760686

Seafood was beautiful, prime rib was lovely, sushi was good and the wok experience was excellent. Did I mention seafood…….lush!!!

The little strawberry purse in the dessert pic was my favourite, very fresh and not heavy at all. They were all impressive.

Need to lie down for an hour……….:thumbsup2
Thanks Carole, we had a great time with Mom and my son and family. A very nice Mother' s Day:)
I hope you enjoyed your Mother's Day dinner at the Islands without any problems with the switch.
I'm allergic to Penicillin too LOL. (honestly)

ate my body weight in oysters!!!
I’m drooling
met the new manager who is lovely. Seems she is trying to sort out their issues and if today is anything to go by, it’s working.
Oh, that is long overdue there

i am going to borrow that penicillin line:thumbsup2
I’m allergic to penicillin. 😆
yikes. that is one cute mortarboard, did you make it?
Thanks Carole, we had a great time with Mom and my son and family. A very nice Mother' s Day:)
I hope you enjoyed your Mother's Day dinner at the Islands without any problems with the switch.
Three on a match! oddly, mine didn’t start until 15 years ago during an IV. Glad I was in ER, scary

get together was nice with thotful presents from my sons: #1 a Mickey Mouse raft for the pool (to join the gazillion others I already have) and a Florida candle (that smells like the baby powder HHN house magic candle. almost scared to light it lol), #2 dozen of red roses & #3 a Texas Roadhouse GC and a case of Corona Extra :p. Told me the clerk at the beer store asked if he was having a party, he indicated “no, it’s for my Mom for Mother’s Day”. He paused a few moments and said: “ok then…”.

I’m allergic to penicillin. 😆

lol…..very apt then!

And another……it’s a common allergy, Tom is also allergic to it.

I‘m so glad you had a lovely day. I always feel like I’m cheating a little as our Mother’s Day is March, so I get two……I like it though!

I’m drooling

Oh, that is long overdue there

i am going to borrow that penicillin line:thumbsup2

yikes. that is one cute mortarboard, did you make it?

Three on a match! oddly, mine didn’t start until 15 years ago during an IV. Glad I was in ER, scary

get together was nice with thotful presents from my sons: #1 a Mickey Mouse raft for the pool (to join the gazillion others I already have) and a Florida candle (that smells like the baby powder HHN house magic candle. almost scared to light it lol), #2 dozen of red roses & #3 a Texas Roadhouse GC and a case of Corona Extra :p. Told me the clerk at the beer store asked if he was having a party, he indicated “no, it’s for my Mom for Mother’s Day”. He paused a few moments and said: “ok then…”.

lol…….more common than I thought.

The oysters were very nice! Even better watching Tom’s face as I eat them…..one of my favourite things to do! Yes, I hope this lady hangs around and makes a difference to those restaurants, they need fixing.

It’s a good line isn’t it….and very appropriate for some folks, they tend to know who they are…..

Some lovely gifts there, very thoughtful too.

We are still so full.

Tonight we wandered up to Bar17……still the most soulless place in Universal…..although we did see an extremely inebriated woman stagger to the elevators much to the annoyance of her rather irate husband……lol…..she ain’t gonna make EE in the morning! I’m surprised they didn’t cut her off earlier as it was very obvious she was ploughed!

Took some pictures, wandered around, avoided a smoker who seemed to follow us…..then came home. We all feel like an early night.

So, having a glass of wine in our suite watching some tv together.

Ah Monday morning and the sunrise was beautiful. So sunny out.

I have no idea what little one wants to do today. I may wander around, as the Studios are so close. If I get bored, will do that and meet up with her later. Hehe, while waiting for our luggage, little one yawned. Person near us said he was not an early riser. Little one said yeah, she’s not either, and she likes to stay up late. He said, he did too. Sigh. But she does get up early when she has to. And we have an evening flight. I think we may be in our home before midnight. That’s what I am thinking. Older one works, but at least he can relax for a few hours before he has to go to pick us up. For some reason, I think my airport is faster with luggage than here. But ya never know. Particularly here, it’s been a crap shoot, though usually the much longer of waits. 45 minutes this time.

Most marvelous Monday all. Hope all had a wonderful weekend, and thought happy thoughts of mom, even if not still with us. Hehe boozy Keisha gift. Once I was in a pocketbook store, and picked up a purse I liked. Lady came near me and said, that’s a nice purse for your mom. Um, maybe I said. I still bought it, but odd thing to say, as I think the purses in that store look like anyone, at any adult age, could want to buy. Sigh. Unsolicited comments. Ya just have to laugh. :laughing:

And yay, lazy week for me. Made my tea, as got water bottles from our supply run after dinner last night. We are room snackers, and I like pepsi, so stocked we are, to graze on snacks in the early mornings and late evenings, with the soda we like more than the coke that we see much more often.

Ah that early morning. So nice. And yep, we put our that don’t knock for early time cleaning door hanging card. We tend to only need trash out, and new towels. I expect it won’t be removed until around 11 or a little later, by little one.

E033F53A-1282-4DD7-9317-6AEDEBD0471F.jpeg
I believe I’m still firmly in the throes of cruise withdrawal. sorely, missing the breakfast buffet on the Lido deck. Have avoided unpacking long enough. My unmentionable drawer is looking rather empty. Laundry I must. Unlike Carole, not a fan of the process in general, especially when it’s mostly delicates/dress clothing that needs to be watched like a hawk or, gasp, the iron will need to be summoned. Will morph into a cellar dweller as no upstairs laundry in my older house.

Quote feature not working properly for me here today, first one worked fine, 2nd & 3rd, not so much ?
Thanks. I ordered it from a company on Etsy. I told them what I wanted and they made the topper. I added the glitter and rhinestones. This is the one they made for B from a drawing she sent them.

View attachment 760734
That’s a lovely, reflective design

kept forgetting to post this local college ‘graduation’ interest story. o_O Life is truly stranger than fiction. I smell a Lifetime movie in the making

https://www.wtae.com/article/hempfield-township-missing-woman-state-police-volkswagen/43774324
I laughed a bit too hard on that comment…not derisively, more that I wish Islands hadn’t fallen to the current state. Not just happening at U, WDW’s dining decline is worse, if you consider the volume/number of venues involved.

We have voted with our feet, most meals for us are offsite, as better variety, quality & price that almost pays for the convenience of the rental car. easy decision, as we aren’t exactly ‘bubble people’ on Orlando vacations. Like getting offsite and kicking around For a change in pace to keep things fresh.

Jakes used to be a must do for us every trip. Now, we usually skip Jake’s too other than a quick drink and the stellar pretzels. Can’t say was a big fan of the tomato soup & donut, surprised it went off the menu tho…did it ever come back? I’m still crossing fingers that something, anything, occupies the Emeril’s space again.

Lynne - sounds like it’s your last day of that whirlwind trip, if so, have a smooth flight back home.

Nope, Keisha, not last day. We are here to cause risk of sunburn for the rest of this week.

And I called it. Little one has stirred. I decided to just chill with my phone and TV rather than wander. That may be at least one day this week, probably.

Fanny pack ready. Think she wants to snack a little before we go. That’s fine.

Hope all are having a good day. And yeah, that need to wash after getting home. Not fun at all. But hey, means luggage will be pulled out again in 4 more months. Yay!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter