• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Something About Nothing............ #14

i-SCXsLPL-S.jpg

That`s a view!!!

Back home from the CT scan, seems my gums are suitable for implant......now I wait to see when it starts...

Time for lunch and some more tea!

Pumpkin -not exactly what I hoped to hear.

We have underground fires here in the old mine tunnels that are throughout the area. Last count, 45+

the most infamous, is in Centraila, has been raging for 50 years. Closer to Lynne’s side of the state. struck me so odd that people do still make pilgrimages there, perhaps as it’s said to be a ghost town now

https://www.history.com/news/mine-fire-burning-more-50-years-ghost-town#:~:text=Though competing theories exist about how the fire,mines closed due to unsafe carbon monoxide levels.
And so, back to routine I go, and no need to drink that icky tasting water, hot enough bottle water,
Your burg have funky tasting water?

E059D0D5-E647-4E3F-8E33-521461DBE1A2.jpeg
Off to $ store to buy mini marshmallows mid stream making s frozen dessert. Wheee

Did someone mention marshmallows......... 🥰🥰🥰

I was watching an interesting show the other day about a place called Clairton PA and the story of it`s demise, weird piece of history but it caught my eye when they mentioned Pittsburgh.

Though not as horrible as the doumentary called Streets of Philadelphia, Kensington Ave, that was a hard one to watch.

And yes, people will go visit the weirdest of places at times.

Glad to get that appointment out of the way this morning, we popped into the town afterwards, we did laugh, first store we went into, a woman wearing the same dress as me....and yes, it looked better on her!!! We kinda smiled at each other in acknowledgement, husbands rolled their eyes.

Bought a new jacket and wasn`t surprised to see the clothes are starting to look more autumnal now, lots of jumpers and winter colours, although there is a lot of mustard around which is not very nice.

But, it was a splendid day all in all and fish and chips from the chippy to come yet.

Nope, Janet, only the city water icky tasting. At home we have local township water that is very good tasting. Hence bottled water for me when I’m office, which is in the city. And so bad the crime is, heard many offices in the city are telling people to not come into the office. Another college kid killed right beyond the Temple U complex the other day. Why we allowed little one to stay home her last year. Only went in person for her graduation ceremony.

Was so sunny then clouds making it more overcast now. 3, hour long, meetings out of the way, and getting ready for my lunchtime walk. But ack, still over an hour before that walk happens.

Yeah, mine fire gets into my local news at times. And yeah, Northeast Philly is not a good place to be in some parts.

Ooh maybe I’ll make some coffee. It’s cooler feeling now inside.

Early morning stop in! It's great that Friday - fun day is around the corner. Looking forward to the weekend off. No plans yet - but I'm sure that will change.

Beautiful morning - and supposed to warm up nice and hot again. It is windy though already - typical August winds for us.

I was lucky enough to get another set of code to buy Taylor Swift Tickets yet! One major bank that is " sponsoring" the tour - has a set number of tickets for each show. I was luck enough to get a code - again!!! This time, since I'm at my full time job where I have flexibility - I will be trying to get tickets. So fingers crossed. Now just watch - she will announce tickets in Vancouver. I have a bet with dd about her announcing dates for there.

Dinner last night at my fil's was good. It was nice to see the Aunt and Uncle who made a detour to our neck of the woods. They were actually supposed to be in the north for a reunion - as they lived there for 40+ years. But because of the fires - the reunion was cancelled - and they left early and stopped here on the way back to their home.

Fire update - fire was expected to hit the town by late last night. Crews were trying to set up water sprinklers breaks, planes laying down retardant breaks, and heavy equipment was making tree line breaks. If residents had left out sprinklers and hoses - they had a crew that would go turn them on and set them up for residents homes. No word yet about what happened over night.

That`s a view!!!

Back home from the CT scan, seems my gums are suitable for implant......now I wait to see when it starts...
That is a view!!!!!!!!

It's great you can do the implants! I have one friend who had a few done -and she loves the results! Good luck with it.
We have underground fires here in the old mine tunnels that are throughout the area. Last count, 45+
That is CRAZY!!!! That the fires have lasted that long :eek:

I know it wasn't the news you were hoping for. Our areas are so vast with very few people or even roads. Even where we live is considered " remote". When we go to the city where dd lives - we drive through 5 communities - 3 of which are close to the city where the kids live. It is an hours drive between communities with nothing but trees and nature lol.
Was so sunny then clouds making it more overcast now. 3, hour long, meetings out of the way, and getting ready for my lunchtime walk. But ack, still over an hour before that walk happens.
Enjoy your lunchtime walk.

Well, I should get some papers sorted before I need to get into the waiting room for tickets.

Have a great day everyone!

I was watching an interesting show the other day about a place called Clairton PA and the story of it`s demise, weird piece of history but it caught my eye when they mentioned Pittsburgh.
crucible steel is long gone, that sector of the industry dying here in the ‘80’s nearly finished the town. they still have a coke works going, the highest polluter in the county. interesting that specialty steel managed to hang on and flourish throughout our area To this day.

Horrendous conditions in the main part of town there, Clair ton Heights, a mile west, might as well be a world away. Funny how that goes sometimes.

They are still known for their high school football team that has captured state championships for ages. Really tough kids there, they knew football was a way out of poverty and violence via sports scholarships. Oldest DS moonlighted as their defensive coordinator for a long time there after he graduated from college Until he build his rep & started getting hired as a head coach.

PS congrats on passing the test! let the merriment begin :). this time next year, all will be well for you!
Another college kid killed right beyond the Temple U complex the other day.
Awful, i got a such a weird vibe from that area when youngest DS looked at Drexel’s business school. It just didn’t have the vibe of a college campus, even an urban one, to me. Seemed dicey even in the daylight TBH.

For a private school, they offered a very tempting package, would’ve been less than he paid in the end at a state school lol. Well, except for the transport costs as SWA pulled the route to PIT That year, final straw for him.

Yeah, Temple is in the north and Drexel is in west Philly, and both not in a good part of town now a days. Cities like Philly and NYC are going to have a hard time keeping people that want to live in them. Sad. The amount of shootings and robbery on my local city news every day.

Walk was hot enough I was glad to be back in the AC. Did stop at the grocery store across the street, and little one will be glad I saw them putting out local produce. Grabbed more of those jersey tomatoes, and fresh from the box brought in, ears of corn. Think we may grill outside for dinner tonight. Yum. Love seeing the local farms’ goods this time of year.

Finally getting to stop in again!!! Busy few days here!

Bil and future sil were evacuated again from their town. This time - evacuation was to our city. Very scary there. The road is now closed unless you are leaving - and even then - the ONE main road going in and out of the province is periodically closed as the fires are soooooooo unpredictable right now - it is mainly closed. The town they evacuated from - they flew in military planes to evacuate anyone who didn't listen to the evacuation orders. Fire crews have pulled out as its too hazardous at this point - to save human lives. The fires are moving 50+ kms in less than 24 hrs. Crazy times right now.

Weather is holding out. Nights are still cool - but decent temps during the day. Leaves are starting to turn already :sad: It makes me sad! I was hoping that we would have a fall like last year. No such luck this year. And like @schumigirl I have noticed our evenings are starting to shorten faster now. :sad2:

Cancelling our Nashville trip. Numerous reasons. Dh's work is actually NOT one of them. The group has gotten too large and is now a heavier drinking group. Since dh is sober - he doesn't mind being around with people who are drinking - but when your immediate people you would be around would be heavily drinking all the time - and in all honesty when one BIL is around those who are bigger drinkers - he is not a great guy to be around. So we are backing out. :rolleyes2 We are back to the drawing board. We have a few ideas - and we are both needing some get away time. So hopefully we will plan for something soon.

I LOVED and giggled at this post!!!! That is me - with the " I told you so " dance!!!!!! :mic:

It's great you have a travelling partner in crime!

That's EXACTLY why I don't eat it. Reminds me of kids in school eating it and saying that! It creeps me out!!!!! I just can't do it lol

YAY!!!!! Have fun!!!!!!! Have a beverage for me please!.

:headache: That word.....I HATE that word. It's a swear word here lol

Those are amazing!!!!!!!!

Enjoy your last at home working day for the week!

Stunning picture! I hope you got a walk in today to enjoy your beautiful scenery.

Well, I should shuffle more papers

Pumpkin, I 'm so sorry to hear of your forest fires and evacuations. I know the fires are just burning away without stopping in Canada. It must be really scary! We only get the smoke here in N. Mn. It occurs every year here, but this time it's been all year with the smoke. Our thoughts are with you guys.

I can understand you cancelling your trip to Nashville. I don't like to be around "drunks" who can't hold their liquor either. That would not be fun, IMO. Hope you can reschedule it sometime soon. And I hope that the fires get put out so all can return to normal.

ruth

Hello everyone. Not much to report here. My day started off on a sad note. I found out that the daughter of one of the teachers from B’s elementary school lost her 10 year battle with cancer on Tuesday. She was only 19. I didn’t really know the family, but I still found myself tearing up as I read the announcement.

Bil and future sil were evacuated again from their town. This time - evacuation was to our city. Very scary there. The road is now closed unless you are leaving - and even then - the ONE main road going in and out of the province is periodically closed as the fires are soooooooo unpredictable right now - it is mainly closed. The town they evacuated from - they flew in military planes to evacuate anyone who didn't listen to the evacuation orders. Fire crews have pulled out as its too hazardous at this point - to save human lives. The fires are moving 50+ kms in less than 24 hrs. Crazy times right now.
How scary. Hope they are able to stay safe.

Cancelling our Nashville trip. Numerous reasons
Sorry you have to cancel, but understand the reason. Maybe the 2 of you can plan something else together.

Those are amazing!!!!!!!!
Thank you.

We said today on our walk, some trees are already starting to turn which just seems so early, but agree, it`s getting cooler earlier and darkness is definitely getting earlier.
I’m envious. I am ready for Fall.

Ooh glad the week is half over. Means that much closer to our 5 am flight.
When do you leave?

Under pronation/supination - foot rolls outward

over pronation - foot rolls inward
I think it’s over pronation. I’m taking her to a specialty shoe store where they have fit experts. I bout her some running shoes there years ago when she was in the Girls on the Run program.

I wouldn’t mind working in a bookstore as a first job out of school.
So much better than my first job - fast food. This week has been particularly busy. Classes start on Monday.

we did take advantage of Balsam Hill having a July Christmas sale a few years ago and bought a second tree from them.
I would love to have one of their trees, but the one I really want is priced way out of my budget.

Great picture.

I was lucky enough to get another set of code to buy Taylor Swift Tickets yet!
Hope you are able to get tickets this time.

30 minutes left then I can go home.

Early morning stop in! It's great that Friday - fun day is around the corner. Looking forward to the weekend off. No plans yet - but I'm sure that will change.

Beautiful morning - and supposed to warm up nice and hot again. It is windy though already - typical August winds for us.

I was lucky enough to get another set of code to buy Taylor Swift Tickets yet! One major bank that is " sponsoring" the tour - has a set number of tickets for each show. I was luck enough to get a code - again!!! This time, since I'm at my full time job where I have flexibility - I will be trying to get tickets. So fingers crossed. Now just watch - she will announce tickets in Vancouver. I have a bet with dd about her announcing dates for there.

Dinner last night at my fil's was good. It was nice to see the Aunt and Uncle who made a detour to our neck of the woods. They were actually supposed to be in the north for a reunion - as they lived there for 40+ years. But because of the fires - the reunion was cancelled - and they left early and stopped here on the way back to their home.

Fire update - fire was expected to hit the town by late last night. Crews were trying to set up water sprinklers breaks, planes laying down retardant breaks, and heavy equipment was making tree line breaks. If residents had left out sprinklers and hoses - they had a crew that would go turn them on and set them up for residents homes. No word yet about what happened over night.

That is a view!!!!!!!!

It's great you can do the implants! I have one friend who had a few done -and she loves the results! Good luck with it.

That is CRAZY!!!! That the fires have lasted that long :eek:

I know it wasn't the news you were hoping for. Our areas are so vast with very few people or even roads. Even where we live is considered " remote". When we go to the city where dd lives - we drive through 5 communities - 3 of which are close to the city where the kids live. It is an hours drive between communities with nothing but trees and nature lol.

Enjoy your lunchtime walk.

Well, I should get some papers sorted before I need to get into the waiting room for tickets.

Hopefully the fires will be out soon, it is hard to imagine such devastation these fires cause.

Thanks and thanks.....yes we have some gorgeous scenery around here and yes, I`ve heard good tales from folks who have had implants done.

crucible steel is long gone, that sector of the industry dying here in the ‘80’s nearly finished the town. they still have a coke works going, the highest polluter in the county. interesting that specialty steel managed to hang on and flourish throughout our area To this day.

Horrendous conditions in the main part of town there, Clair ton Heights, a mile west, might as well be a world away. Funny how that goes sometimes.

They are still known for their high school football team that has captured state championships for ages. Really tough kids there, they knew football was a way out of poverty and violence via sports scholarships. Oldest DS moonlighted as their defensive coordinator for a long time there after he graduated from college Until he build his rep & started getting hired as a head coach.

PS congrats on passing the test! let the merriment begin :). this time next year, all will be well for you!

Awful, i got a such a weird vibe from that area when youngest DS looked at Drexel’s business school. It just didn’t have the vibe of a college campus, even an urban one, to me. Seemed dicey even in the daylight TBH.

For a private school, they offered a very tempting package, would’ve been less than he paid in the end at a state school lol. Well, except for the transport costs as SWA pulled the route to PIT That year, final straw for him.

It`s an incredible story with that area, and to still have the pollution there is quite something today. i`m sure your son saw some very talented young players there too.

It`s funny how an area gives off a bad vibe during the day, yes, we`d have avoided that one like the plague too.

Thanks....I was quite distracted by the "Doctor" that gave me the scan, he looked very glamorous in a 1980`s Euro pop star way......lol...nice man though.

Pumpkin, I 'm so sorry to hear of your forest fires and evacuations. I know the fires are just burning away without stopping in Canada. It must be really scary! We only get the smoke here in N. Mn. It occurs every year here, but this time it's been all year with the smoke. Our thoughts are with you guys.

I can understand you cancelling your trip to Nashville. I don't like to be around "drunks" who can't hold their liquor either. That would not be fun, IMO. Hope you can reschedule it sometime soon. And I hope that the fires get put out so all can return to normal.

ruth

I detest loud drunks too, moderately happy I can deal with. I never understand why when folks get drunk they seem to curse more and far louder than usual, but then I guess they may be proud of cursing like a sailor. Yep most folks think it`s just obnoxious and can`t blame folks for not wanting to be around them.

Are you still getting smoke too Ruth?

I'm the proud owner of Taylor Swift Tickets!!!!!! :cool1:

Congratulations!!!

I`ve only ever heard her shows are amazing......

Hello everyone. Not much to report here. My day started off on a sad note. I found out that the daughter of one of the teachers from B’s elementary school lost her 10 year battle with cancer on Tuesday. She was only 19. I didn’t really know the family, but I still found myself tearing up as I read the announcement.

How scary. Hope they are able to stay safe.

Sorry you have to cancel, but understand the reason. Maybe the 2 of you can plan something else together.

Thank you.

I’m envious. I am ready for Fall.

When do you leave?

I think it’s over pronation. I’m taking her to a specialty shoe store where they have fit experts. I bout her some running shoes there years ago when she was in the Girls on the Run program.

So much better than my first job - fast food. This week has been particularly busy. Classes start on Monday.

I would love to have one of their trees, but the one I really want is priced way out of my budget.

Great picture.

Hope you are able to get tickets this time.

30 minutes left then I can go home.

How incredibly sad for her family and all who knew and loved her.

If you ever do get a Balsam Hill tree, I think you`d be delighted with them, the quality is splendid and you can feel the value in them, but yes, they are expensive.

It`s so lovely right now, warm but not too hot throughout the day, but from around 6pm, the cool does drift in, but the trees changing are the most obvious signs.

Have you ever tried to explain to someone whose kid has bad allergies that they shouldn`t be hanging washing out on the line if their allergies are so bad it causes asthma in them???? I do wonder sometimes why folks don`t get the simple facts......

Been a lovely little evening, fish and chips were splendid, and Kyle loved them which was nice too.

Just sat tonight not doing much, chatting and having a good old giggle, showed Kyle the pictures my friends granddaughter were looking at a couple of weeks ago, he hadn`t seen them for a long time......his dad holding him as a baby minutes after he was born and in the first days, precious pictures. I`m in the odd one too.....lol

No idea what we`re doing tomorrow.......will see what the weather is like first I think. Lamps around the house were on tonight around 8.10pm....getting dark much earlier.

Need to get my hair appointment sorted for next week, hope my stylist is back off from being sick and some waxing appointments needed too, the latter is never fun, but bearable.

Not long till bedtime...early night I think 🥰

never understand why when folks get drunk they seem to curse more and far louder than usual, but then I guess they may be proud of cursing like a sailor.
As one who had a side gig as a barkeep eons ago…

Swear by the theory that ‘being drunk’ brings out one’s true, unadulterated personality.

Found it fascinating to watch people slowly morph, often into very surprising outcomes. People watching at its finest
Have you ever tried to explain to someone whose kid has bad allergies that they shouldn`t be hanging washing out on the line if their allergies are so bad it causes asthma in them???? I do wonder sometimes why folks don`t get the simple facts......
Wow, what a case of not connecting the dots. Not sure how it’s handled there

here, they literally bury parents in do’s & don’ts as to how to handle their child’s diagnosed medical condition(s).

As one who had a side gig as a barkeep eons ago…

Swear by the theory that ‘being drunk’ brings out one’s true, unadulterated personality.

Found it fascinating to watch people slowly morph, often into very surprising outcomes. People watching at its finest

Wow, what a case of not connecting the dots. Not sure how it’s handled there

here, they literally bury parents in do’s & don’ts as to how to handle their child’s diagnosed medical condition(s).

Plenty of education out there, but not everyone absorbs it apparently. Sometimes the obvious gets missed.

lol…..people watching is the best! Yes, alcohol can change folks….sometimes it’s funny other times not so much. Bar staff see it all though.

I will make it to bed soon…….as long as I don’t Google something ridiculous to keep me amused for 5 hours!!

Just waiting for the clock to click down until it's home time.

My day started off on a sad note
That's so sad. It makes you wonder how people come out the other side of something like that.
:sad2: wow....just wow.
Yup that is so true. My bil can be a terd when he has had a few too many wobbly pops. Most of the time, he's ok. It really depends on his mood. It was a complete buzzkill for our holiday once we knew the heavier drinkers were joining the trip. We knew we were out. Oh well...it's a good thing we have lots of places we want to visit ::yes::

Alright...heading home. Sun is shinning, skies have cleared (somewhat) it's starting to get smoky here now again...and I can hear my comfy clothes calling!!!!

So sad to hear of cancer taking someone so young, Charade. Sending sorrow to her family and friends.

Yay for Pumpkin to score the tickets. Glad you are heading home.

Did I read in my news that another gator seen in river near Pitt? I guess our your way Janet, lots of people keep gators, with now 2 being either dumped or escaped? Wow.

I’m so ready for it to be Friday.

Delicious dinner, as corn was sweet and bbq chicken from the grill, with sautéed tomatoes and orange peppers. I’m very full. And now sipping some tea my sister gave me. Pear with vanilla flavors. It’s okay. I taste more of the pear than the sweetness I thought the vanilla would give it. At least it was a package of different teas, so hoping there’s another flavor I will like to have more of.

And woot:

IMG_1717.jpeg
TGIWBF. ::yes::

Good evening everyone. I finished my cross stitch project tonight. It’s currently being washed. Tomorrow I will iron it and then take it to be framed. Next project will be the Lucy psychiatric booth for the other therapist in my office. After that I think I will make something for myself.

Seems like that would be common sense but……..

I have been fortunate that I have never encountered any loud or obnoxious drunks. I have met a couple of people who acted really stupid when drunk though.

Charade - I missed this year’s hallmark ornament release day. Did u grab anything cool? I’m almost glad this one is OOS already lol
I have not purchased any ornaments yet. There are several I want that won’t be released until October.
I want to get this one for dh
IMG_9565.jpeg

And this one for B.
IMG_9566.jpeg
Delicious dinner, as corn was sweet and bbq chicken from the grill,
We had corn tonight too. The only way I like it is grilled on the cob.

I took a nice nap this afternoon so I may be up for awhile. Time to see if there is anything worth watching on TV.

Just waiting for the clock to click down until it's home time.

That's so sad. It makes you wonder how people come out the other side of something like that.

:sad2: wow....just wow.

Yup that is so true. My bil can be a terd when he has had a few too many wobbly pops. Most of the time, he's ok. It really depends on his mood. It was a complete buzzkill for our holiday once we knew the heavier drinkers were joining the trip. We knew we were out. Oh well...it's a good thing we have lots of places we want to visit ::yes::

Alright...heading home. Sun is shinning, skies have cleared (somewhat) it's starting to get smoky here now again...and I can hear my comfy clothes calling!!!!

Wow indeed.

That`s so true, there are so many places we all want to visit and that there is a big wide world out there to see.

Hope you had a lovely evening and not too smoky.

not much for to say except it was hot today and tomorrow will be hotter… and rest of days ahead will not be any picnic.

But, I will take this weather over cold temperatures.

Absolutely, those Northern winters can be harsh as I know you do remember......

Good evening everyone. I finished my cross stitch project tonight. It’s currently being washed. Tomorrow I will iron it and then take it to be framed. Next project will be the Lucy psychiatric booth for the other therapist in my office. After that I think I will make something for myself.

Seems like that would be common sense but……..

I have been fortunate that I have never encountered any loud or obnoxious drunks. I have met a couple of people who acted really stupid when drunk though.

I have not purchased any ornaments yet. There are several I want that won’t be released until October.
I want to get this one for dh
View attachment 786100

And this one for B.
View attachment 786102

We had corn tonight too. The only way I like it is grilled on the cob.

I took a nice nap this afternoon so I may be up for awhile. Time to see if there is anything worth watching on TV.

They are very nice Charade.

I was surprised when this young woman who I know vaguely from the village was talking in the store about her son/hanging washing out/asthma and I just thought, are you crazy......but hopefully she has finally understood she can`t do that.

Looks dull but not cold today, not overly warm either and maybe some rain today for us, welcome to our summer!

BLTA for lunch today, picked up some bacon yesterday from a place we had been told to visit, so hoping it`s as nice as we`ve been told. I doubt I`ll use the whole avocado as they are large and it`s just me eating it, but the tomatoes are also huge so we might just have an open sandwich as it`ll be filling. Crsipy bacon and thick sliced tomatoes....would never cook such beautiful tomatoes by grilling them, the flavours are so much better at room temperature.

Dinner will be chicken skewers, sweet and spicy as always.....with some coleslaw, salad and cous cous.

Not much going on today, might do some baking for the weekend if it does rain this afternoon, will hand some up to the farm too as I always bake far too much.

But, time for tea and will have some toast later with home made marmalade, not home made by me, but a lovely lady who makes the most splendid preserves and chutney`s.

But almost the weekend, even for ladies of leisure it`s still a good feeling!!!

cv128-S.jpg

:rolleyes1

cv114-S.jpg

cv88-S.png

Have a splendid Friday and weekend ☺️

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter