Solo trip planned but considering cancelling

disneyfanatic.60

Earning My Ears
After many years of wanting to make a solo trip to WDW, I have one booked for mid-November. I have been to WDW many, many times most of which have been with my daughter. She was always against me making a solo trip for whatever reason. When I planned this trip, she actually surprised me and said good for you. You deserve it and go and have fun. I was very much surprised at her change of heart.

Sadly, my daughter (35) passed away late August completely unexpectedly. She was my best friend and my constant travel buddy to WDW. My world has simply been shattered beyond words. She had just adopted two boys in January (4 and 7) after fostering them for 3 years. Two weeks after the adoption was finally completed, her husband was diagnosed with lymphoma (currently in remission).

I am not sure I can make this trip without crying every single minute understandably. My family has been pushing me to make this trip "for her and myself". I was so excited about this trip but I really am struggling with the decision to cancel. I am not sure if WDW will ever be the same.

Just struggling with so many things right now.....

Sorry beyond words for you. I guess I would ask, what would she want you to do? It may not be that easy, but it's a starting point........

There's no right answer on whether you should go or not, but here would be my question: would you feel any better sitting at home that week?

I wouldn’t make a decision right now. Wait until you reach the cancellation deadline for your booking and then decide. You are still in shock.

Our family has used WDW as a place to go after a loss more than once. We went after my grandparents died, after my aunt died, after my mom died, and after my dad died. Yes, there were times of sadness, and there were also moments that gave us hope and strength. The shows and attractions are meant to tug at the heartstrings, so no one will give you a second glance if you are shedding some tears.

Every person grieves differently. You may find comfort in being home where things are familiar. You may find comfort in a change of scene. Only you know which decision is best for you during the grieving process.

I am so, so sorry for your loss. :grouphug:

I am so sorry for your loss. That's devastating! ❤️

I agree with what others have said about using WDW as part of the mourning process. However, I don't know if keeping this a solo trip is a good idea. Grieving alone is really hard. Make sure you're with someone to help you through the process. Whether it's at home or at the parks, be with others who love you and loved your daughter.

Oh, this is hard. I'm so very sorry for your loss. The decision, as others have said is yours and maybe best to put off deciding till the last minute. If you do go, bring something that reminds you of her so she can kind of be with you.

If you decide to cancel, maybe you could put that money in a fund and save up to take her two boys, your grandsons, on a Disney trip so you can show them all the things your daughter loved about Disney.

I’m so sorry. 😞 May your daughter rest in peace. 🙏

You have enough on your plate right now, so I’d just go with whatever feels easier—staying or going. Don’t pressure yourself to make decisions when you don’t have the emotional energy for it.

After many years of wanting to make a solo trip to WDW, I have one booked for mid-November. I have been to WDW many, many times most of which have been with my daughter. She was always against me making a solo trip for whatever reason. When I planned this trip, she actually surprised me and said good for you. You deserve it and go and have fun. I was very much surprised at her change of heart.

Sadly, my daughter (35) passed away late August completely unexpectedly. She was my best friend and my constant travel buddy to WDW. My world has simply been shattered beyond words. She had just adopted two boys in January (4 and 7) after fostering them for 3 years. Two weeks after the adoption was finally completed, her husband was diagnosed with lymphoma (currently in remission).

I am not sure I can make this trip without crying every single minute understandably. My family has been pushing me to make this trip "for her and myself". I was so excited about this trip but I really am struggling with the decision to cancel. I am not sure if WDW will ever be the same.

Just struggling with so many things right now.....
I am so truly sorry for your loss. I'm not sure anyone can give you an answer other than you. Disney will be there when you are ready.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter