Solo trip advice?

MeLaNie9

DIS Veteran
Hi!
I am planning my first real solo trip in Nov. I have a work conference in Orlando and I will be staying at Coronado Springs during the conference then moving to SSR (DVC) when the conference finishes. I will be at CSR for 4 days, probably able to hit the parks for parts of 2-3 of those days. I am debating 2 or 3 days at SSR which will be full park days.
I am a little worried about not having enough to do, hence the debate on 2 or 3 full park days. (Plus whether I come home on DS birthday or not - although he doesn't seem to care about this:rolleyes:). I will have an AP so I was leaning towards more days, but we are commando touring types (usually using mostly FP and not waiting in long lines) which I am sure I would continue on my own, and I fear that I will see/do things even quicker when alone!
I do not mind eating solo at all as I do it often at other work conferences (I just bring my Kindle everywhere). However, I was originally thinking of doing only QS dining but now am considering TS places as well thinking it might "slow me down" some.
I am planning to do at least one night at the BLT lounge to watch the MK fireworks and tried to get the Soarin DVC tour while I'm there but 2 days after tickets were available (which is when I found out the tour existed), they didn't even have space for 1 :worried:

So, here's the advice/info I'm looking for...
1) Is it easy to get FP as a party of 1? While in the parks once my 3 FP are done? I am thinking that the easier time I have getting FP, the less overall time I will need in the parks.
2) Can I get TS reservations for 1 or do I need to put in 2? Or could I rely on being able to walk up and be seated relatively quickly as a party of 1? We usually have the DDP (party of 4) and so NOT making reservations feels a bit risky to me, but it may also be quite freeing to not have everything planned to a T way before the trip!
3) I've seen mention of eating in lounges as a party of 1. What lounges do you recommend and might it ever be difficult to be seated to eat there?
4) This isn't exactly a solo traveler question, but I've never done a split stay before (that wasn't in different room categories in the same resort) - how do I get my stuff from CSR to SSR on the day that I transition?

TIA:yay:

1. I have never had any trouble except for the things everyone else does. Generally that will be the most in demand things, Pandora, and Toy Story Land(which will cause changes to the tiers for HS FP)

2. Depends on the restaurant, but generally if I can't find one close to when I want for one, I try for two then modify it to one person. You will need reservations for some restaurants where others always seem to have room.

3. Yeah, that happens. I have never eaten at any of the lounges, but Hollywood Brown Derby Lounge seems to be a good choice, and I would personally try the Sanaa Lounge(for a resort meal)

4. Can't help you on that.

I travel solo all the time, so if you think of anything else, feel free to ask here or send me a pm.

4. I don't know for certain, haven't moved resorts myself, but I've heard that Disney will move your luggage between resorts.

I travel solo a lot so I'll try to help. I'll say up front, my style and our style when my son is with me, is very much fly by the seat of your pants no matter what time of year we go.

1. As I mentioned, I'm pretty much fly by the seat of my pants so I rarely book FPs, but when I do, I have no problems finding any for one.
2. I have not had any problems making ADRs for one, I tend to make them during the afternoon for that night. There are very few places you can walk up to but hopping on MDE and getting an ADR for 10 min. or half hour later isn't hard to do if you don't want the headliners and can hop to another park.
3. My son and I often eat at the lounges and I love both Nomad Lounge in AK and HBD Lounge in HS for solo eating. We have never had any problem finding somewhere to sit at any of the lounges we have eaten at, most of the resort ones have tables as well as the bar.
4. I do split stays a lot but I drive down so I just transfer my luggage myself. From what I understand though, you just call down to bell services and ask them to get your luggage and they take care of it. They don't guarantee it will be there until after 3.

1. I was able to get Fastpasses for big attractions on the day I was there.

2. I tried for 1 person first and if there was no availability, I would try for 2 people.

3. HOLLYWOOD BROWN DERBY LOUNGE! I can not recommend this enough, it was absolutely wonderful :)

Stay longer and smell the roses. Take in some shows especially in World Showcase. Also, take in the live street entertainment. Again, this is especially good in World Showcase.

Do some rides twice or more. I could do TSM over and over again.

Take in some special tours. There are so many to choose from.

Have a special experience like doing the nighttime Safari at the Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Do some dinner and show packages for ROL or Fantasmic.

Consider doing Uber and get over to SeaWorld or Universal.

Stay longer and smell the roses. Take in some shows especially in World Showcase. Also, take in the live street entertainment. Again, this is especially good in World Showcase.

Do some rides twice or more. I could do TSM over and over again.

Take in some special tours. There are so many to choose from.

Have a special experience like doing the nighttime Safari at the Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Do some dinner and show packages for ROL or Fantasmic.

Consider doing Uber and get over to SeaWorld or Universal.

I second SeaWorld....but then, I am a passholder.

I am a little worried about not having enough to do, hence the debate on 2 or 3 full park days. I will have an AP so I was leaning towards more days, but we are commando touring types (usually using mostly FP and not waiting in long lines) which I am sure I would continue on my own, and I fear that I will see/do things even quicker when alone!
If you don't want to change your usual MO then you will absolutely do things quicker when alone.

May I suggest slowing down? You've been on all the rides you love (probably many times, right?) so there's no need to rush from ride to ride with FP's. Take some time and do things you normally don't do with your family. Sit in a nice spot and just people watch. Go on rides that have a short wait time - so what if you have to stroll all the way across the park. Linger over a meal or a drink. Have you ever just taken the boat from MK to Fort Wilderness and back?

When my daughters were young and I visited the parks with other people, I engaged in commando touring. I have my first 10 day solo trip planned for October and am so looking forward to "doing" Disney differently. Enjoy your time and maybe try something a bit different from your other trips.

Transferring luggage between resorts is really easy. On the morning when you check out, hand it over to the luggage services desk and let them know you're moving to Saratoga Springs resort. They will tag the bags and put them on a cart, and give you an estimate on when the bags will arrive. Then you're free to head off to the parks!

I'll usually tip the CM a dollar or two per bag, at each resort, at your discretion. There must be many people who do split stays, based on the number of bags I saw being sorted.

1. Yep - it's easier to get a FP for one than trying for 2, 3, or 4 at a time. Sometimes I add a 4th or 5th FP during the day at MK - sometimes I don't. It can still be impossible to get the top rides day same day, though. Maybe if you don't mind staying super late.

2. I try for TS ADR's for a party of 1. Most places that works fine. I always try a party of 2 second if I'm not getting what I want - and sometimes that seems to help with availability. You need to imagine yourself as a party of 2 when it comes to walk-ins. Even as a party of 1 - they have to have a table for you. I would make dining reservations in advance. You can always cancel the day before as your plans change. Also - I've found that late the night before and about mid-afternoon - I can find things available that weren't available just a day or two before. Folks do make changes at the last minute.

3. I like the Nomad Lounge at AK. Now - I love Tiffin's more - but they are very different experiences. I have also eaten at the Sanaa bar - I was early in the dining hour - but note that they day I was there it did fill - lounge seating was not available by about 6 pm. I've always wanted to try the Territory Lounge at Ft. Wilderness, but I haven't. I don't hang out long enough at HS for me to attracted to the HBD Lounge.

4. Luggage transfer (for the cost of tip) or take yourself and your stuff and use Minnie Van.

Yes bell services will move your luggage. It usually will be at the new resort in the afternoon. But you could uber or cab over to the new resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter