Solo/Missing Out on Some Restaurant Experiences?

CoachBeard

Mouseketeer
I've been planning for my January solo trip and by planning I mean thinking about it every waking second of the day. I watch a lot of YT videos to assist with planning also. It got me thinking... I'm not going to book ADR's for AYCE/Family Style restaurants because what is the point for just one person? I'm not a huge portion eater to start with but how much am I REALLY missing out? I've Seen Paging Mr. Morrow dine at these places solo but I couldn't dream of eating as much in a sitting as he does. I could graze on it for a few hours and maybe make a dent.

I would love to check out Woody's BBQ but it doesn't seem worth it for $45 because 1. I won't eat $45 worth and 2. I hate to waste food. Ohana is highly revered and I love what the menu has to offer but I couldn't see myself dining solo. I know about the lounge near it where I can at least get the noodles, right?

What do you all do when flying solo? And how many great restaurants am I missing out on?

We travel as a couple, so family style doesn't really work for us either, and I don't think you're missing out.

The #1 advantage you'll have is to walk up to any dining location that has a bar/lounge area and get seating for one right away. Everyone else may be scrambling for Homecomin' brunch resos at the 6mth window - but you'll have it made grabbing a bar seat :)

I've been planning for my January solo trip and by planning I mean thinking about it every waking second of the day. I watch a lot of YT videos to assist with planning also. It got me thinking... I'm not going to book ADR's for AYCE/Family Style restaurants because what is the point for just one person? I'm not a huge portion eater to start with but how much am I REALLY missing out? I've Seen Paging Mr. Morrow dine at these places solo but I couldn't dream of eating as much in a sitting as he does. I could graze on it for a few hours and maybe make a dent.

I would love to check out Woody's BBQ but it doesn't seem worth it for $45 because 1. I won't eat $45 worth and 2. I hate to waste food. Ohana is highly revered and I love what the menu has to offer but I couldn't see myself dining solo. I know about the lounge near it where I can at least get the noodles, right?

What do you all do when flying solo? And how many great restaurants am I missing out on?

Well, one peice of advice is to not think of it as having to eat X dollars worth of food - you won't do that anywhere you eat. You are paying for the experience, and if it's an experience that you want, then it may be worth it. I have really enjoyed Biergarten and Tusker House as a solo, though if I could recommend one all-you-can-eat ADR, it would be Garden Grill. The food there is just so good!

Well, one peice of advice is to not think of it as having to eat X dollars worth of food - you won't do that anywhere you eat. You are paying for the experience, and if it's an experience that you want, then it may be worth it. I have really enjoyed Biergarten and Tusker House as a solo, though if I could recommend one all-you-can-eat ADR, it would be Garden Grill. The food there is just so good!
Maybe I'll book one for this trip tp try it out and just see how it goes. Thanks for the post!

We travel as a couple, so family style doesn't really work for us either, and I don't think you're missing out.

The #1 advantage you'll have is to walk up to any dining location that has a bar/lounge area and get seating for one right away. Everyone else may be scrambling for Homecomin' brunch resos at the 6mth window - but you'll have it made grabbing a bar seat :)
Well, I haven't tried it much yet at WDW but the last few times I went to DLR before I let my Magic Key expire I was turned away and told the restaurant was full booked and that I could not sit at the bar. This was at Carthay, Lamplight, and one other place which escapes me now.

Well, I haven't tried it much yet at WDW but the last few times I went to DLR before I let my Magic Key expire I was turned away and told the restaurant was full booked and that I could not sit at the bar. This was at Carthay, Lamplight, and one other place which escapes me now.
We've always had excellent luck at WDW.

Here's the thing about dining solo at a sit down restaurant, for me anyway. It's boring. You have no one to converse with, no one to share 'here try this' food with, and all you're doing is hearing other people's loud conversations.

My solo trip I canceled all my adr's and just ate when I wanted, what I wanted, and got up and left when I wanted. I preferred that.

I've done some all you can eat meals like this as a solo, and yes you do get a lot of food. Also I think about 50% of the time I've accidentally received a larger skillet than the single person, but even aside from that, they give you plenty of food.

Here's the thing about dining solo at a sit down restaurant, for me anyway. It's boring. You have no one to converse with, no one to share 'here try this' food with, and all you're doing is hearing other people's loud conversations.

My solo trip I canceled all my adr's and just ate when I wanted, what I wanted, and got up and left when I wanted. I preferred that.
I don't find it to be too boring. I'd say about 70%-80% of my meals are/were (on my last solo trip) F&W booths or QS. But, I love a good steak and being waited on sometimes. So last time I sat solo at CA Grill and had a wonderful server who paid great attention and didn't let me get bored. Usually when I go to a bar I end up making conversation with someone. I also made some friends while eating at the Belgium booth. Some guys came to the table area to sit down and I had 2 extra seats and shade. We ended up chatting for about an hour or so.

For example I spent about an hour chatting with a nice young lady at Oga's and we had a great chat. Turned out she was a CM. I paid for her drinks and only wish I caught her number but, I digress. Sometimes chatting with a bartender can be fun too. I had a great experience in Chicago many years ago.

For me the harder parts of flying solo is waiting in lines for rides. That is when I like having someone. But, I live alone, I travel alone, I dine alone.

I enjoy solo trips! After decades traveling with my wonderful family & friends, it's freeing to do as I please, how I please, when I please. That includes all the dining options. For sit-downs, I ask for a table or small booth off to the side. (Even with a large party, I always prefer not to sit in the center of a room 🤷‍♀️) I enjoy a buffet bc of the variety but also a server is not always hovering rushing me out (My family's pet peeve with Ohana)
I also like many QS options & take-away sometimes to relax with in my room...
Bottom line, tho...I'm never uncomfortable dining alone at WDW. Or anywhere I've traveled.
As to the cost....if you can afford it....YOU'RE WORTH IT!

I often do solo trips and love them. I don’t eat at sit-down restaurants on solo trips much anymore, not because I’m uncomfortable but just because—as someone else alluded to—I enjoy the freedom to roam when I’m solo. I’m almost always in a DVC one bedroom so I either get take out or have food on hand to enjoy in the room. But when I’m in the mood, I don’t hesitate to dine in a nice sit-down restaurant and read articles on my iPad or listen to podcasts.

So I would say do what strikes your fancy and don’t worry about what others think. People at WDW (CMs and guests) are in my experience generous in wishing others have a good time, regardless of their circumstances. I even once had a solo meal at Victoria & Alberts and had a tremendous time, even though that was perhaps the most challenging solo dining experience I have had. (Only challenging because of my slight awkwardness at having such an elaborate meal solo; the staff were beyond gracious and welcoming.)

I find a different joy in taking others to WDW. I hosted friends and family last December for New Years and really enjoyed how much they enjoyed the experience. A group experience like that is totally different than a solo trip, and both are great in their own way.

I do sit down restaurants when travelling solo, but I skip restaurants that are more of an experience and better to do with someone else to create memories.

And yes, take advantage of your solo-ness and walk up when you are in the mood.

I think it makes sense as food and eating is often a social thing. For some people more than for others. If this is the case for you, there is no harm in switching to a 'food is fuel'-mentaliteit for a few days.

I travel fairly frequently solo to Disney - at least twice a year. I find I enjoy them overall more than I do the family or friends trips - where I always seem to do what others want to do and work around their schedule - which is fine, because I always know I'll be at Disney again soon and can do it at my pace.

For dining, I have no problem booking solo at table service restaurants - I tend to prefer them over family/buffet style not necessarily because of any worry over being solo there, but because usually I pick restaurants with higher-quality and better rated foods.

But there are still some family style spots I enjoy solo - for convenience, for good filling meals, and for the ability to choose different foods and mix-and-match. Honestly, I never even consider price at Disney - it's not a cheap place anywhere - a quick service burger with fries and a drink will cost near $20...and any table service restaurants I visit are usually in the $20-50 plate range.

I've dined solo at Crystal Palace, Whispering Canyon, Tusker House, Boma, and Liberty Tree Tavern...and will go back to all of them in the future. I may not eat all that much - but I feel like I get my money's worth if I enjoy sampling multiple dishes, sides, and desserts, and leave full and satisfied.

On this last trip, I decided to stick with QS, and loved it. The day before I left, I felt like one TS, so I was able to get reservations at Trattori Forno, which was convenient since I was staying at BCV. Over the almost 30 years I've done solo trips, I don't think there's a TS I avoided as a solo. Once I did communal dining (Teppen Edo) and wished I'd avoided that one!
As far as planning, I always have almost every minute planned-then when I get there, my plans always get completely changed. I don't know if it's just me, but I never do what I've planned.

I was advised last year on my first solo trip if I wanted to eat somewhere do it! I heeded that advice then and again this year.
I love Cape May ~ characters weren’t back when I did breakfast last year but I liked It so much I did 2 x breakfast and dinner this year. Has to be my favourite solo dining place.
Crystal Palace breakfast lunch and dinner
Toledo dinner
HBD Dinner
Sci Fi Dinner
Steakhouse 71 (did last year too, food good but I won’t go again)
Liberty Tree Tavern ~ Expected the skillet but they gave me a plated meal, was bit surprised but didn’t bother me
Space 220 Lounge (love those devilled eggs!)
Boatwrights
The Boathouse
All done for the food/experience. First time dining solo with characters back too and apart from Steakhouse 71 enjoyed them all and did not feel uncomfortable.
Saying that it does tie you down and if I hadn’t had the Dining credit CP and Cape May breakfast are the only 2 I would pay OOP for oh and Fantasmic Dining package.
If there is something you fancy, go for it!

I've been planning for my January solo trip and by planning I mean thinking about it every waking second of the day. I watch a lot of YT videos to assist with planning also. It got me thinking... I'm not going to book ADR's for AYCE/Family Style restaurants because what is the point for just one person? I'm not a huge portion eater to start with but how much am I REALLY missing out?
No. You're not missing out.
Ohana is highly revered and I love what the menu has to offer but I couldn't see myself dining solo. I know about the lounge near it where I can at least get the noodles, right?
Right. But to me; not worth it.
I don't think you're missing out on anything. Sounds to me like you wouldn't enjoy the AYCE/Family Style experiences.

There are some that I enjoy solo. I don't eat enough to justify the expense but I do enjoy the atmosphere of some of them.

Done multiple solo trips, I am used to dining alone have no problem doing it at WDW. Some places like LTT will scale the portion down for solo diners but you can always ask for more. I did Garden Grill breakfast and Topolino breakfast solo last trip. Even did Narcossee for my birthday solo.

Do TS restaurants place solo guests in less interesting corner tables? If so, the bar/lounge are probably more interesting options.

For example, I am tempted by Garden Grill for my next solo trip and would like a booth but do they keep those for larger groups?

It's been pretty random for me on solo seating - I've gotten booths, tables, middle of restaurants, corners of restaurants, etc. There doesn't seem to be any concerted effort to stick me in the worst spot or smallest table in the joint.

Early September when I was there, I had nice booths in Hacienda de San Angel and Art Smith's Homecoming. I had a table for 2 in Prime Time Cafe, and a nice table near the bar in Rix.

Can you miss something you have never had? If not, then no you aren't missing out on anything. I never eat at buffets/AYC or family style places. Buffets because if I'm paying to eat out I want to be served dag nabbit. AYC and family style because I don't eat large meals, heck I've had left overs from kid's QS meals. Having said that, if I wanted the experience I wouldn't hesitate. As far as the price for Woody's, I've easily spent much more than that for just a drink and some food at Nomad Lounge (o.k. the food was lobster mac and cheese but still). I've also easily spent more than that for a meal at HBD Lounge. I always have left over food so I don't let that bother me, I've paid for it so I eat what I want and don't worry about it. If you want it go for it. Otherwise, there are plenty of other TS or bar/lounges you can eat at. Oh, and I never make ADRs in advance. Nomads and HBD Lounge are walk up waitlist. If I want a TS I'll just hop one MDE at some point during the day of and find what's available and go from there. I always have either an AP or PHs so I can go to whatever park there is something available I'm interested in. I also never pay attention to other's reviews, food is very subjective. I also never worry about the time that the ADR might be available for, I'm a single adult woman, I can eat whatever/whenever I want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter