Solo Fine Dining

TinkSassy

DIS Veteran
I have eaten at many places around WDW solo but never a fine dining experience. This is something we haven't done as a group either - I'm the only foodie so it is what it is.

That being said - I'm thinking about splurging on California Grill I would have the choice to do this on my arrival evening or I could possibly do a brunch instead.

I have wanted to see the fireworks there but wondered if brunch might be less awkward for a solo diner. I usually bring my book, enjoy the people watching and focus on my meal and hope I get a great server (which happens more than not at WDW).

You will be fine. I did that once at Artist Point. Got a table by the window by myself and enjoyed it. I like to people watch and took the phone out. My waiter was nice, which I think they will be to solo diners

I'm attempting the same on my October solo trip. Hoping for a table by the window. It's just too good to pass up.

I'll be doing a Solo Dinner at Cali Grill in September and can't wait. I agree with Lilsia, nobody really cares.

I have wanted to see the fireworks there but wondered if brunch might be less awkward for a solo diner.
I'm with Lilsia; awkward is unique to each person. I haven't done brunch there but I did not find dinner there solo awkward.

It seems you are generally comfortable dining solo. I suspect you will not find dinner there awkward.

Thanks all! I wasn't sure if it would be different pulling out the book in this setting vs. say a more casual place like Liberty Tree would be odd.

We were at California Grill last week and no one would even notice if you pulled out a book. When I dine solo at WDW, I have kindle loaded on my phone and read that way. That way I don't have to carry around the big kindle and it takes up a little less room on the table. We got there right when the fireworks started and be warned, it is loud. I'm talking so loud you can't hear a word your server is saying. Our server offered to wait until it was over to take our main order and just got our drinks, which worked out great for us. We didn't have a window seat but did have a seat along the back partition and could see the fireworks fine. They pipe in the music.

We were at California Grill last week and no one would even notice if you pulled out a book. When I dine solo at WDW, I have kindle loaded on my phone and read that way. That way I don't have to carry around the big kindle and it takes up a little less room on the table. We got there right when the fireworks started and be warned, it is loud. I'm talking so loud you can't hear a word your server is saying. Our server offered to wait until it was over to take our main order and just got our drinks, which worked out great for us. We didn't have a window seat but did have a seat along the back partition and could see the fireworks fine. They pipe in the music.

This is exactly what I do. I have the NOOK app and read while eating. So many people are on their phones all the time now that no one notices you.

I ate at California Grill on my solo birthday trip and did not feel awkward at all. I had a nice table along the back wall with a window view and enjoyed watching the fireworks from the terrace. I highly recommend it!

I've found in my experience, the nicer the restaurant, the less awkward the solo dining experience is. My theory: because those menus feature higher-priced items, people see a solo diner and assume he or she is taking in a place where bringing the entire family would be prohibitively expensive.

I did AP solo in January and loved it. The filet mignon was incredible.

When I ate at the California Grill, I let them know when I checked in that I was solo and they gave me a great seat by the window where I could watch the monorail as I dined.

You will be fine. I did that once at Artist Point. Got a table by the window by myself and enjoyed it. I like to people watch and took the phone out. My waiter was nice, which I think they will be to solo diners
Yup. Same here! I dined alone (dinner) at both Cali Grill and Artist Point...many times. I didnt feel awkward at all. It was a lovely experience! Mind you Artist Point food was far far better than Cali Grill....food at CG has been average at best the past few times i've been there. So disappointing. I always make a point to dine at AP. :) :cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter