Soccer questions for Canadians from an American 2024 edition thread.

Buzz Rules

To Infinity and Beyond
Soccer questions for Canadians from an American 2024 edition thread. As an American soccer fan I have some questions on the sport that I would like to hear an answer from a Canadian's perspective. You don't have to be a fan of the sport to answer or ask a question. For the record, this is not a thread for me to convince soccer haters to become soccer fans. It's simply to get genuine answers from everyday Canadians on the sport in their country in general. Thank you in advance. :-) 🇺🇸🤝🇨🇦⚽🏟️

1. Did you ever play soccer as a kid or adult?

2. Have you ever watched a professional match in person?

3. Do you support your local team or own any apparel of your local team?

4. Have you ever watched your national team play? If so, in what events?

5. What do you think of the Canadian Soccer Association as a whole?

6. Do you know your local team's nickname or colors?

7. Do you know your local team's mascot or home stadium?

1. Played in the local town league, and rode the bench in high school.
2. I did watch the Toronto Blizzard of the old NASL once. Oddly I've only been to BMO Field for Argos games.
3. I have a Toronto FC shirt. Which of course I wear at the gym or at pickleball.
4. I was watching during the run up to the World Cup.
5. Should be interesting times since Herdman was such a driving force and he's with Toronto FC Now.
6. I believe the common nickname is TFC. I think they've tried getting "Reds" over but I don't think it ever caught on.
7. BMO Field. If you go to a TFC or Argos game, you should go to a night game in late August, when the CNE is open. That way, you can get some interesting foods at the Food Pavilion before the game starts, and enjoy the midway when the game ends.

1. Yes I played soccer while in school and did it extracurricular too, during middle school.

2. Never send a live game and really no desire too. Sports just aren’t my thing, at all.

3 and onward…local team is Toronto FC. I don’t own anything to support them, nor do I own any other Toronto soorts stuff. No one in my family has FC stuff but do have other Toronto team shirts. It’s just not a sport we follow and we aren’t a big sports family in general. Hubby takes son (16) to a Leafs game once a year. We may go to a Jays game this summer? Maybe. I’ve been to one. That’s how sporty we are ;)

Buzz, I’m a subsitute teacher and had a grade 4 class I know well the other day. You know, the day Messi and Ronaldo were supposed to play against each other? That class is 16 boys and 5 girls and lord are the boys soccer crazed! They begged me to put the game on, but no and besides it was on Apple TV! Then I found out Messi wasn’t even playing! And THEN found out Ronaldo wasn’t either lol. But they still begged for score updates the rest of the afternoon. And I sure thought of you that whole day! These kids, majority if not all, are either first generation Canadian or moved here after being born in a different country. A lot of Muslim and Indian kiddos. Just to give you an idea of the make up of the soccer crazed 8-9 year olds!

1. Played in the local town league, and rode the bench in high school.
2. I did watch the Toronto Blizzard of the old NASL once. Oddly I've only been to BMO Field for Argos games.
3. I have a Toronto FC shirt. Which of course I wear at the gym or at pickleball.
4. I was watching during the run up to the World Cup.
5. Should be interesting times since Herdman was such a driving force and he's with Toronto FC Now.
6. I believe the common nickname is TFC. I think they've tried getting "Reds" over but I don't think it ever caught on.
7. BMO Field. If you go to a TFC or Argos game, you should go to a night game in late August, when the CNE is open. That way, you can get some interesting foods at the Food Pavilion before the game starts, and enjoy the midway when the game ends.
Thanks for answering the questions. 😃

1. Yes I played soccer while in school and did it extracurricular too, during middle school.

2. Never send a live game and really no desire too. Sports just aren’t my thing, at all.

3 and onward…local team is Toronto FC. I don’t own anything to support them, nor do I own any other Toronto soorts stuff. No one in my family has FC stuff but do have other Toronto team shirts. It’s just not a sport we follow and we aren’t a big sports family in general. Hubby takes son (16) to a Leafs game once a year. We may go to a Jays game this summer? Maybe. I’ve been to one. That’s how sporty we are ;)

Buzz, I’m a subsitute teacher and had a grade 4 class I know well the other day. You know, the day Messi and Ronaldo were supposed to play against each other? That class is 16 boys and 5 girls and lord are the boys soccer crazed! They begged me to put the game on, but no and besides it was on Apple TV! Then I found out Messi wasn’t even playing! And THEN found out Ronaldo wasn’t either lol. But they still begged for score updates the rest of the afternoon. And I sure thought of you that whole day! These kids, majority if not all, are either first generation Canadian or moved here after being born in a different country. A lot of Muslim and Indian kiddos. Just to give you an idea of the make up of the soccer crazed 8-9 year olds!
Thanks for answering the questions. 😃
By the way, all MLS matches have a radio broadcast (each team's website has the station/stream listed). MLS has scores listed on its website and on their app. Those wonderful kids may be the next generation of Canadian soccer stars in the future, who knows. 😉 They may ask you check scores again on February 13th when the UEFA Champions League returns (just in case you don't know what they are referring to). That's the most popular league in the world and the one most 1st generation immigrants follow. I'll have a link to the match scores that day on my Champions League thread. Also, I just want to say, thank you for being a teacher. You guys don't get enough praise most of the time but I truly appreciate all educators. 👏

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter