So much Disney food is terrible

Is the issue that the food is just downright terrible or terrible for the price?

I live in an area with great food options. I am used to very flavorful ethnic food. So I would say my tastebuds are decent.

Do I think Disney food is out of this world? Not particularly but I’ve never had a bad meal there. That’s probably because I go in with realistic expectations. I understand Disney is feeding the masses and it isn’t going to be 5 star quality. I understand I’m paying $$$ for the convenience of eating on property and/or for the experience (character meals, fireworks at Cali Grill).

With proper research you can find some really good food for decent prices. Some of our fave “budget” foods at Disney are the fruit waffle sandwich at Sleepy Hollow, most snack spots at AK like Mr. Kamal’s or Eight Spoon Cafe and so many spots in Epcot. My daughter loves getting a Starbucks breakfast sandwich in the parks too.

I don’t think there’s anything that’s so bad I would rather eat McDonald’s. I mean if you prefer McDonald’s over most food it makes me wonder what that person considers good food.

Last edited:
Do you folks have a Michelin chef as your personal cook at home? I don't! Maybe that's why I find Disney food very agreeable.

That's what I was thinking as I read this...

A lot of people do not have good palates, so you will hear recommendations here and go try them and likely be disappointed. I have relatives that prefer stove top and a rotisserie chicken to home made stuffing and a succulent roasted turkey from an excellent caterer near me. They aren’t “wrong”, they just have terrible taste buds. Of course V&A, TT, and Monsieur Paul’s are outliers.

I think that is part of it for me. I am not a foodie and so perhaps my palate is not as broad. I guess I wouldn't say I have "terrible taste buds", but I'm not really seeking 5 star dishes with foods I cannot pronounce.

So maybe that is why I like much of the food at Disney? It's pretty good in many cases; sure some things are plain or basic.

I respect different opinions here on the boards! That is what this is for; a forum to discuss, ask questions, offer opinions.

However, the OP's issue about "for the cost" is actually a little funny to me. Groceries by me (Michigan) are astronomically priced. Completely out of control. For a family of 3, I easily spend $200 a week on our "basic" list and that doesn't count meat, bulk, paper products at the club store. Then, I need to come home, unpack all that, cook it, store it, clean up after that, wash my own dishes. All things that I do not do at Disney, nor on any vacation. To me, those costs are sort of rolled into menu items.

Going out to eat used to be significantly more expensive than shopping/cooking, but that gap has narrowed. Still, local costs are insane. Last week, at a burger joint (not McD but a little local place), my family of 3 spent about $80 for three burgers, a pop, and two cheap beers.
Thus, Disney food prices to me are not that shocking.

Plus, you are eating at the most magical place on earth. I might be able to get the same meal at half price in the middle of the frozen tundra somewhere, but I'd not be interested in that for a minute.

Is the issue that the food is just downright terrible or terrible for the price?

I live in an area with great food options. I am used to very flavorful ethnic food. So I would say my tastebuds are decent.

Do I think Disney food is out of this world? Not particularly but I’ve never had a bad meal there. That’s probably because I go in with realistic expectations. I understand Disney is feeding the masses and it isn’t going to be 5 star quality. I understand I’m paying $$$ for the convenience of eating on property and/or for the experience (character meals, fireworks at Cali Grill).

With property research you can find some really good food for decent prices. Some of our fave “budget” foods at Disney are the fruit waffle sandwich at Sleepy Hollow, most snack spots at AK like Mr. Kamal’s or Eight Spoon Cafe and so many spots in Epcot. My daughter loves getting a Starbucks breakfast sandwich in the parks too.

I don’t think there’s anything that’s so bad I would rather eat McDonald’s. I mean if you prefer McDonald’s over most food it makes me wonder what that person considers good food.
Oh the fruit waffle at Sleepy Hollow! I cannot get anything even remotely close anymore else! 🧇 The warm crispy waffle, creamy Nutella filling topped with the cool, fresh fruit - so delicious 🤤

I think that is part of it for me. I am not a foodie and so perhaps my palate is not as broad. I guess I wouldn't say I have "terrible taste buds", but I'm not really seeking 5 star dishes with foods I cannot pronounce.

So maybe that is why I like much of the food at Disney? It's pretty good in many cases; sure some things are plain or basic.

I respect different opinions here on the boards! That is what this is for; a forum to discuss, ask questions, offer opinions.

However, the OP's issue about "for the cost" is actually a little funny to me. Groceries by me (Michigan) are astronomically priced. Completely out of control. For a family of 3, I easily spend $200 a week on our "basic" list and that doesn't count meat, bulk, paper products at the club store. Then, I need to come home, unpack all that, cook it, store it, clean up after that, wash my own dishes. All things that I do not do at Disney, nor on any vacation. To me, those costs are sort of rolled into menu items.

Going out to eat used to be significantly more expensive than shopping/cooking, but that gap has narrowed. Still, local costs are insane. Last week, at a burger joint (not McD but a little local place), my family of 3 spent about $80 for three burgers, a pop, and two cheap beers.

Plus, you are eating at the most magical place on earth. I might be able to get the same meal at half price in the middle of the frozen tundra somewhere, but I'd not be interested in that for a minute.

The issue is it isn’t 1985 anymore. Food delivery from good restaurants exists on Disney property now. I’ll give an example from my last trip. Steakhouse 71, a place I consider very decent (I’d eat there at Disney every time, but not if it was my corner steakhouse), 150 dollars plus tip for dinner for my family. Next day I order Kobe steakhouse and get enough scratch cooked actually good food for my family for two nights, delivered with tip, for 120. Disney is stuck in the “bubble” mentality with food options and pricing, but delivery exists and it’s better and cheaper.

The issue is it isn’t 1985 anymore. Food delivery from good restaurants exists on Disney property now. I’ll give an example from my last trip. Steakhouse 71, a place I consider very decent (I’d eat there at Disney every time, but not if it was my corner steakhouse), 150 dollars plus tip for dinner for my family. Next day I order Kobe steakhouse and get enough scratch cooked actually good food for my family for two nights, delivered with tip, for 120. Disney is stuck in the “bubble” mentality with food options and pricing, but delivery exists and it’s better and cheaper.
Agree completely.

Maybe it’s not the food.
I wonder if there is more to this as well. I am by no means a foodie, and i don't I have the palate of a 5 * restaurant chef, but I think I can differentiate between good food and McDonalds. I like McDonalds, but given the choice between an egg mcmuffin and eggs anywhere else in WDW, I am not going to choose McDonalds.

Character meals are expensive, but there are characters that you pay for.

It seems odd to me that the OP and her family do not like any of the food they have tried, not in the parks or resorts. I understand that taste is subjective, but I wonder if they just cannot get past the cost.
Yanno?
For my sight it’s difficult to understand what the OP is looking for. So they eat breakfast predominately at McDonald’s - is that for price point, enjoyment, desperation or just to kvetch? Somehow I need more info than what is being said in countless posts on the subject.
I agree that there is a lot more to this. I spent 10 years in a large call center, assigned to several different projects during that time. One thing was certain. In most calls, almost 100% there was a cost question involved. In one way or another, cost matters, and I bet you a buck the OP cannot justify the cost of food in WDW when comparing the cost to settings nearby her own home.

This is one reason why my family buys the DDP. I know all of the pros and cons, and I know that it is not easy to "beat" the plan, but for us, that is not a problem. I want to enjoy our meals and I do not want to look at prices when ordering, and I sure dont want buyers remorse after character meals. Believe me, I know how my family wants to enjoy a WDW vacation, and I know what we will likely spend while we are there. I also know that we will buy more than is on the plan. I also know that midway through I do not want any concerns about entree cost, or that glass of wine. And I also know that we are not going to McDonalds to save money.

There are many ways to mitigate the cost of a WDW trip so that you can get your best bang for your budget. We are renting points so that we have a full kitchen. Im still not cooking, but we can reheat leftover dinner, have a light breakfast, enjoy a glass of wine or have snacks in our space. That alone is a cost saver.

There are hotels in the area that provide free breakfast. You do not need to stay onsite, and that may open up a lot more dining options. vacations are not cheap.

Oh, it's not all bad. There are some things that are quite good, you just have to know where to look. Honestly, I don't find most things to be terrible - the little round pizzas (Pizzafari, Pizzarizzo-style) are an exception for sure though. In park burgers are mediocre and I can totally see being disappointed for the cost. But hit up Satu'li Canteen or grab a Ronto Wrap for some pretty good in-park quick service meals at a decent value (for Disney). There are other places too, and of course a lot of the desert treats are amazing! To each their own of course, but I wouldn't write off the whole place to a few bad experiences - there is so much variety!

I agree. We spend a small fortune on groceries. It is my husband and me, but my granddaughters are over a lot. They walk down several times a week, and a few times a week they eat dinner with us. I make sure there is plenty they like.

We just got back from Mystic and I compared the prices inside the aquarium and restaurants that we ate at in the area. Not much difference price wise when compared to WDW prices

Oh, it's not all bad. There are some things that are quite good, you just have to know where to look.

I don’t know that OP really meant all of it, so I will agree with you. There are definitely hidden gems of good food in every park, but I stand by my claim that most of the food on property is very mediocre to bad (for the price and also in a vacuum).

Monsieur Paul is a $195 prix fixe. Not going to happen. Flying fish - $50 bucks for scallops. Maybe (maybe) these menu items taste good, but there’s zip for value. We spent $100 at boathouse tonight for good steak and drinks for three.
$100 for a good steak and drinks for 3 isn't value? I'd be very very hard pressed to even find a decent steak and drinks for 3 adults for a hundred bucks around here.

And if an entree portion of sea scallops isn't hovering close to $50 right now I'm guessing they are awful quality scallops.

We're "foodies" and I cook and bake from scratch. We have high food quality standards. We frequent the signature restaurants for sit-down meals because those are the locations that have quality food, and yes you pay for it, just like you would at a local restaurant that sources high-quality ingredients. In a tourist destination (or really anywhere) you aren't going to find both high quality and Mcdonalds prices, those things just don't go hand in hand. You get what you pay for...

Maybe if we stayed DVC in a one bedroom and could eat comfortably that could be an option. But we stay in a regular room and eating on our bed or in shifts because chairs are limited isn’t something we want to do on vacation.

Riviera has fabulous quick service food. So good!

There are a lot of restaurants that I think have great food, but the prices are cringe. That said, there are lots of DW places my family enjoys, but we also tend to stay away from QS and buffets (though Boma is great!!).

We've experienced Disney dining for more years than I care to recall. From our perspective, about 20% of our meals are outstanding, 10% of the meals have been poor (and there are a couple restaurants we don't do because of it), and 70% of the meals are good. We know some are going to be expensive before we go, so that's a given. That shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

We also read reviews regarding any new places we want to try on upcoming trips, and make educated decisions about our ADRs. This board really helps with that!! Could we save a few dollars by going to the grocery store and eating in the room? Sure - but not what we want to do on a Disney vacation. Save a little by having food delivered? Sure - but the cost and quality is just as much of a coin flip with delivery, too, especially when it arrives cold. So we'll stick to the good food options (in our opinion) and try something new most trips that others have good things to say about. We've enjoyed our meals with that approach.

$100 for a good steak and drinks for 3 isn't value? I'd be very very hard pressed to even find a decent steak and drinks for 3 adults for a hundred bucks around here.

And if an entree portion of sea scallops isn't hovering close to $50 right now I'm guessing they are awful quality scallops.

We're "foodies" and I cook and bake from scratch. We have high food quality standards. We frequent the signature restaurants for sit-down meals because those are the locations that have quality food, and yes you pay for it, just like you would at a local restaurant that sources high-quality ingredients. In a tourist destination (or really anywhere) you aren't going to find both high quality and Mcdonalds prices, those things just don't go hand in hand. You get what you pay for...

I agree about the signature prices. The signature restaurants are in line for fine dining where I am (South Jersey/Philadelphia area).

Oh, it's not all bad. There are some things that are quite good, you just have to know where to look. Honestly, I don't find most things to be terrible - the little round pizzas (Pizzafari, Pizzarizzo-style) are an exception for sure though. In park burgers are mediocre and I can totally see being disappointed for the cost. But hit up Satu'li Canteen or grab a Ronto Wrap for some pretty good in-park quick service meals at a decent value (for Disney). There are other places too, and of course a lot of the desert treats are amazing! To each their own of course, but I wouldn't write off the whole place to a few bad experiences - there is so much variety!
Thanks for the tips. We tried 7 things at the food and garden festival in Epcot. 5/7 were really good. We’ve had good meals at Boathouse and Polite Pig too on this trip.

I’ve always thought most WDW food is mediocre at best. The real question is value. What complicates peoples’ opinions is that,at home, the best restaurant may be just fast food or some chain so anything else is an improvement. There are some good restaurants but not a lot. As mentioned above about Flying Fish, we ate there in the past, liked it, bit not again. Way too expensive.

I chuckle when I see posts “what is the best restaurant….” Because you may get a list of most eateries.

The only places in recent memory that I thought were legitimately terrible are Paradiso 37 (not Disney owned, so doesn't really count) and Be Our Guest. Everything else is mostly mediocre for the price.
Neither of those restaurants were ones I had interest in but there was a Mexican restaurant in Disney Springs that I didn’t care for (Frontera Cocina?); we ate there once and never again. Now according to the OP, DS eateries don’t count as true Disney food but in the parks and resorts many of the restaurants hold leases so not sure one can easily define a difference in that manner.

My criteria of what makes a restaurant worthy differs and generally speaking Signature restaurants meet the grade. Fresh food well prepared on site, engaged in the experience service, calm surroundings. In a nutshell this is what I want and am willing to pay for in or out of the bubble. I live in NYC and find enough of the food served at Disney worthy of a local restaurant.

The except to my rule is the Magic Kingdom. Disney should be ashamed of the dreck served throughout that park. JMO

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter