• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

So I think we have a move coming

lovemygoofy

DIS Veteran
Matt told me yesterday we are 85% locked in to move. I've been at campbell for 6 years and Matt 7 and this coming spring will be 8. Man, in the time I've known Bomb(hi bomb!) she has moved probably 5 times lol while we have went no where.

I'm hearing that we are going to Washington, D.C. next. Of course nothing is guaranteed but this sounds pretty certain. I'm not sure where he is going to be working though. I didn't quite understand what he was talking about lol.

Anyways any suggestions for housing that is half affordable. We are army E7 family if that makes any difference. All suggestions and tips would be great.

Matt told me yesterday we are 85% locked in to move. I've been at campbell for 6 years and Matt 7 and this coming spring will be 8. Man, in the time I've known Bomb(hi bomb!) she has moved probably 5 times lol while we have went no where.

I'm hearing that we are going to Washington, D.C. next. Of course nothing is guaranteed but this sounds pretty certain. I'm not sure where he is going to be working though. I didn't quite understand what he was talking about lol.

Anyways any suggestions for housing that is half affordable. We are army E7 family if that makes any difference. All suggestions and tips would be great.

HIYA T!!! :wave: Hope you are feeling ok!!! :hug:

My DBro (Colonel) has lived in the DC area many times. He never lived on any bases. He lived in Woodbridge, VA, Alexandria, VA and now Annadale, VA. I wanted to tell you that we went to Ft. Belvoir in Springfield, VA when we were all there for his graduation from the War College in June.....oh my, that place is LOVELY!!! :goodvibes Do you think that would be an option? DBro took us there to shop in the PX and we asked him why he was not living at this Fort and he said there is a waitlist to get into Ft. Belvoir for housing. Maybe if you were headed there you could check on that waitlist!!! ::yes::

On a side note, DBro is now on the Joint Chiefs of Staff at the Pentagon! We are all very proud of him. :love:

Hi yourself!

I don't think I've moved 5 times since I've known you, just 2. :rotfl: But Matt will have been there 8 years!!! We've moved at least 4 times the past 8 years!
:hug: I'm excited for you!

Hey,

We just had a move from England (6 years) to Virginia. What a huge pain in the bottom. Im not sure I will ever get through all those boxes. Im miserable. Anyway, enough with me.

I have some friends who are stationed in Washington DC and WOW it is expensive. I know that commuting to get a decent rent/buying a home is a must.

I do have to say, what a fantastic place to be. Think of all the great things you can do and see there.

When we found out we were being stationed in Virginia I found this website called city data forums (something like that). It was super helpful as to where to live, shop, everything. It was great. Give it a visit.

Good Luck:)

Whoooo hoooooooooo! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: Move to the MARYLAND side of DC. ;) So glad you are moving close to me. I know that was your real motivation, right?

My DBro (Colonel) has lived in the DC area many times. He never lived on any bases. He lived in Woodbridge, VA, Alexandria, VA and now Annadale, VA. I wanted to tell you that we went to Ft. Belvoir in Springfield, VA when we were all there for his graduation from the War College in June.....oh my, that place is LOVELY!!! :goodvibes Do you think that would be an option? DBro took us there to shop in the PX and we asked him why he was not living at this Fort and he said there is a waitlist to get into Ft. Belvoir for housing. Maybe if you were headed there you could check on that waitlist!!! ::yes::

On a side note, DBro is now on the Joint Chiefs of Staff at the Pentagon! We are all very proud of him. :love:

Hey Kar! :yay: How is Cali? You surfing yet? How cool for your DBro!

I have to agree that Alexandria area is gorgeous and the housing at Belvoir is the best I have seen on any post anywhere! They have 2 PXs on post too and the Commissary is huge - much better than what we have here at APG.

Hey Kar! :yay: How is Cali? You surfing yet? How cool for your DBro!

KEL!!!! :hug: How are you??? How are all the kiddos??? Did you have a good summer??? :yay:

Cali is awesome!!! :dance3: Lol, me surfing...yup, lol!!! How is your DH doing??? Ya, the whole fam is so proud of him!!!! :woohoo:

Best of luck to you!!! I know I start to get an itch to move once we've been somewhere about 2 yrs LOL!!

Hi Good luck with your move! Dh and I lived in Alexandria VA when Dh was stationed at the P'Gon and ONI. I don't know what the housing market has done since we lived there, 7yrs ago, but we really loved Alexandria. Lots of great things to do, we got a great deal on a fixer-upper, it was easy for Dh to get to work, we lived close to Ft Belvoir so were able to use them for my medical and the PX and exchange so that was really cool. Overall we really enjoyed our time there.

KEL!!!! :hug: How are you??? How are all the kiddos??? Did you have a good summer??? :yay:

Cali is awesome!!! :dance3: Lol, me surfing...yup, lol!!! How is your DH doing??? Ya, the whole fam is so proud of him!!!! :woohoo:

We're great. Kids are fine - just busy, busy. My B is fine - how is your B?

Tina - when are we taking a girls trip to go visit our buddy Kar in Cali??? One word: Disneyland! :banana:

I still vote for you guys moving to the northeastern MD side of D.C. but my reasons are purely selfish. ;)

We're great. Kids are fine - just busy, busy. My B is fine - how is your B?

Tina - when are we taking a girls trip to go visit our buddy Kar in Cali??? One word: Disneyland! :banana:

I still vote for you guys moving to the northeastern MD side of D.C. but my reasons are purely selfish. ;)

TINA and KEL - OMG you both have to come here...let me tell you I can see the FIREWORKS every single night from Disneyland from my TOP floor apt!!! ::yes:: They are amazing to watch night after night. Just sit on my balcony from 9:25pm-9:50pm!!
5.gif

Kel, yup, Brett is doing fabulous in his new position out here in Cali....Cali wanted more and more trains (they need to get all of these cars off the roads out here :eek: combined with the high gasoline prices :eek: ) and they called Brett and he is here designing for one full year and then the construction will start. He just finished ordering all the actual trains and believe it or not they are built in Canada and shipped to Cali. That will take close to two years. :goodvibes

Tina, did you ever get to BOSTON this Summer with Matt?? Details, lady details!!! :surfweb:

Oh and Kel, as much as I love it here in Cali, I miss my East coast family like you cannot imagine so moving to MD would be AWESOME for me. Close to DBro and his fam and just a few states away from New England. But that will not be happening for probably a long time....not even sure if we will be back East (to live). :guilty:

Awww, Kar. Fireworks sound great! Sounds like your Brett is having fun at his new job - every little boys dream to play with trains and now your BIG boy gets to still play with trains and earn a living doing it. Mason loves trains - but the Thomas the Tank engine kind. :laughing: My Brett is gone on TDY again (bleh) to Austin but will be home in a month.

Tina - I think Karen needs to fly out to the East coast (well DC at least) and help you unpack after the move. I'll drive down and we'll have a regular housewarming party! :dance3:

When Patrick was at TBS, I spent a lot of time with him in the DC area. We'd definitely love to go back at be stationed at Quantico. There's a bunch of nice areas, although more expensive than a lot of other parts in the country. The weather is fairly mild though, and there is SO much to do!

We're likely going to be moving in 2 years if DH decides to stay in, and I really don't want to - I love CA! Good luck planning the move, if you do go though, and I hope you get some more information!

Tina, come back to this thread and UPDATE us, OK!!!!!!!!!!!! ::yes::

I saw on another thread you may be the next PRESIDENT!!!!!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo:

We live on Fort Belvoir. Its great! If you are E-6 and above you rate a stand alone house. Its soooo nice to not have anyone attached to us. lol Good luck and feel free to send me a message if you have questions about here or Bolling AFB in DC. We lived there too :)

Hi Tina. We were in DC 5 years ago. We ended up living in Rockville, MD. Beautiful area, but was very expensive.

You will love the area though. We miss riding the metro on the weekends to the museums or the zoo. Keep us updated.

hello everyone. hope you guys dont mind me asking a few questions. my son in is army. they are in alabama. my daughter and grandson were home in june for family party. they prob. wont be home now until christmas. its so hard, its been like 4 months since we have seen them. i was reading about the base in MD. gee that would be closer for us to fly?? or possibly drive??? i believe they will move by feb or shortly after. I am praying that it isnt to FAR AWAY..... the airfare is a KILLER.........to where they are now. so about how far a drive would it be?? is it nice there?? oh , sorry , it is my son in law..sorry for rambling. of course we wont know any ways for a while where they will be going. i was teasing my daughter saying maybe you guys will get NY. but wow what cold and snow.......worse than here. sorry for rambing. thanks for info.

Hello from Germany Tina! How are ya?

I just got back from Dwayne's R & R - 5 mos down 10 to go! Good luck wih your PCS!

Okay here is an update of some sorts. We are awaiting the paperwork but it's about as official as it can be. We report to the new office in April and move in March. Or should I say it looks Im moving us and Matt will join when he finishes up in GA.

I guess the orders are for 4 years. We are excited about a new area such as DC. Im just dreading the cost increases but it's okay I keep telling myself lol.

Oh, I hope enjoy DC. We did! Hopefully you get base housing, we weren't able to because we owned 2 dogs, were only allowed 1.:sad1:

There is so much to do there. We enjoyed just hoping on the metro on a Saturday morning and spending the day at the museums. Made for an inexpensive day. You will never be lacking for something to do. Keep us updated on how the move goes!
Melissa

Hi Tina---

I don't post much, but I am a PROLIFIC lurker! I hope you don't mind my adding my 2 cents. My DH (nonmilitary) is living in Fairfax (company housing) right now, and commuting in to DC. Anyone will tell you that the traffic is a nightmare! BUT, the area is really gorgeous. We are thinking about moving the family down. We have taken to spending many weekends down there instead of him coming home. I think you will be happily surprised! We have looked at all the suburbs-quite lovely and just hopping with activity--restaurants, shops, etc.
Best of luck with your move!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter