slo’s THURSDAY 5/2 poll - Tomatoes 🍅

Tomatoes - What types do you buy? (m.c.)

• Roma

Votes: 47 50.5%
  • Snacking

Votes: 35 37.6%
  • Beefsteak

Votes: 32 34.4%
  • On-the-vine

Votes: 57 61.3%
  • Campari

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • Green

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Globe

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Heirloom

Votes: 30 32.3%
  • I don’t buy tomatoes

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 14 15.1%

• Total voters

slo

My tag used to say - I'm a Tonga Toast Junkie 😁
Tomatoes are something many of us enjoy. When I was preparing for this poll, I read that there are well over 1000 types of tomatoes - that’s a lot! I’m focusing on what’s in our grocery stores. So, let’s talk tomatoes…..

What types of tomatoes do you buy?
(multiple choice)

For Me…..I mostly buy Roma tomatoes. The only time I buy Globe tomatoes is if I need them for hamburgers. I do love cherry tomatoes, but with my UC I can’t eat them anymore. I can sneak one or two once in awhile, but I definitely can’t eat them on a regular basis.

Pictures ⬇️ from Kroger grocery store
IMG_1676.jpegIMG_1677.jpeg

IMG_1678.jpeg

I don’t normally eat off season tomatoes. I will buy a cherry for tacos as I think they are better the full size tomatoes. I have a large garden and grow tomatoes. I grow mostly heirloom and currently have ordered 17 different varieties of starter tomato plants from a local nursery that specializes in heirlooms. During tomato season I eat them with almost every meal.

Man, I love tomatoes! Campari are my favorite as they are so consistent in taste and quality. But, a hot summer day and cherry tomatoes right off the vine - heaven!

We always have grape tomatoes around for snacking and quick salads

I love tomatoes but sadly my IC says NO so I rarely eat them anymore - as tomatoes or sauce of any kind ☹️
I will get a homegrown tomato 🍅 I will suffer through to eat that !!! One slice on a burger - preferably grilled - the rest with some olive oil and seasoning !!!
I usually get my homegrown tomatoes from my boss as he buys them weekly from a local farmer - all different kind of tomatoes - I will repurposes one or two to my house over the Summer to enjoy !! He buys tons so we can all enjoy them !!

I mostly buy the small, snacking tomatoes. They seem to last a long time. I'll buy Roma, too, because they tend to be lower priced than the regular tomatoes.

I think some of the terminology on there is a blend of regional availability and regional references.

I’ve never seen small tomatoes referred to as “snacking.” The most commonly available small tomatoes that we buy frequently are grape tomatoes. That’s how Kroger lists them for us. We’ve also grown heirloom teardrops in red and yellow to take their place.

I will buy tomatoes on the vine. I’ve read that the vine ones available in most supermarkets are Clermon tomatoes. Romas are usually what I pick up for most things because they’re cheaper than the vine ones and still pretty flavorful. I think these were marketed as plums in other regions. I also put “other” because San Marzanos and a nice big Jersey tomato actually grown in NJ are worth the $.

Last edited:
I mostly buy cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes. Occasionally plum tomatoes or on the vine in the summer. I used to grow our summer tomatoes but haven’t for a couple of years. My favorite was a breed of cherry tomato that grew in a hanging pot and the fruit would hang down.

Roma here, they're the cheapest and small enough for me to finish before they go bad.

I buy a lot of tomatoes, usually every week at the grocery store. And I always have a tin of diced tomatoes in the pantry.

Grape or cherry for salads. I try to have salads for lunch twice a week at least. And my daughter just eats them as a snack.

Otherwise I buy slicing, beefsteak or on the vine tomatoes for burgers, tacos, chili, fresh salsas or stews. We tend to have something with tomatoes in it for dinner about twice a week.

Edit: A PP mentions tomato allergies. I'm also "allergic". I tested positive for that as a kid after I'd get all rashy after sitting in mom's garden eating them off the vine. Apparently, I'm not supposed to rub them into my skin, but have no trouble eating them. I'm also "allergic" to bananas. No rubbing them into my skin either, but okay for eating. 🤷‍♀️

I buy most of the ones on the list! - most often the grape ones for salads, or large ones for slicing. I like to grow some in pots on the back deck in the summer as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter