slo’s THURSDAY 3/28 poll - Easter Lilies

Easter Lilies - What’s your opinion and do you/will you have any in your home? (m.c.)

• I love Easter Lilies ❤️

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I like Easter Lilies 🙂👍🏻

Votes: 27 30.7%
  • Easter Lilies are just ok 😐

Votes: 18 20.5%
  • I don’t like Easter Lilies 🙁👎🏻

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • I buy myself Easter Lilies

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • I get Easter Lilies as a gift

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I get Easter Lilies from my church

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I never have Easter Lilies in my home

Votes: 55 62.5%
  • I give Easter Lilies as a gift or donate them to my church

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters
I can recall my parents having them in the past for Easter. I believe they were commonly sold at the grocery stores but don't see them as often now. Most plants raised in the perfect environment of a greenhouse tend to not do well in your home. Planting them outside after the holiday has ended may/may not be successful.

I don't recall an issue with the fragrance, but perhaps some are more sensitive to the smell of flowers then others. I think a better choice for some colorful flowers indoor flowers for Spring/Easter might be tulips or hyacinth.

I don’t like them, they stink. Plus I have an indoor cat and they are toxic to cats.

They are lovely, but like others, too strongly scented to have in our house. I get allergies and migraine.

I enjoy all the spring flowering bulbs. In past years I have mixed it up, purchasing lilies, tulips, daffodils or hyacinths. This year so far I have only purchased pansy plants.

Absolutely will not have Easter Lilies anywhere near my home because they are highly toxic to cats, and I wish there was some kind of law that requires a warning label on these things at the store. Even if I didn't have my own cats I wouldn't plant them in my yard either because I wouldn't want to hurt any other cats. So for that reason, I hate Easter Lilies.

I don't buy them because my cats eat plants and lilies are poisonous to cats.
Same. They're pretty - I voted I like them, but I don't have them.

If I'm going to get lilies, I usually opt for Stargazers, which doesn't say Easter. They are my favorite blend of scent and appearance when it comes to lilies.
Yes! MIL used to grow these and always shared some before I had the kitties.
1711654185869.png

Love them but am avoiding them this year because last year everyone was having breathing trouble until it occurred to me it could be these particular flowers and moved them outside.

I read this can be avoided by removing the pollen parts so I might possibly give it a try again.

Love them but am avoiding them this year because last year everyone was having breathing trouble until it occurred to me it could be these particular flowers and moved them outside.

I read this can be avoided by removing the pollen parts so I might possibly give it a try again.
When I worked at a florist in high school we always removed the pollen parts with a soft cloth or paper towel to avoid staining the flowers. I always do it out of habit (when I buy as a gift).

My late brother used to send us an Easter lily every. None now. For me, they're OK.

Funny story. About 20 years ago Marie and I went to a hotel wedding Downtown Chicago somewhere along the Riverwalk. There were Stargazer lillies around the banquet hall. They looked pretty, smelled nice, in the BIG room.

One of the lady guests asked if we could take her home at end of the evening. Not sure how she got there, made no difference, she lived somewhat nearby. I said sure.

End of the evening, our passenger asked me if she could take a few pots of those Stsrgazers home. Bride had said they're for the taking. Sure, we'll put them in the trunk. We leave, start heading north on the Kennedy Expressway. We get up to about Fullerton Ave. The smell inside the car is overwhelming us by now. I told our passenger I was pulling over on the shoulder and tossing them out of the trunk and on to the grassy area on the side of the expressway.

Took care of that, dropped off our passenger, drove home. Left the trunk and windows open in the garage. Next morning the garage smelled from the lilies. The smell lingered for several days, in both the car and garage.

It's a topic of a memorable evening many years sgo that Marie and I recall any time we see those kind of lillies. Sometimes at funeral wakes.

I like them but don't get them for my home. Years ago my SIL gave me some in a pot that I sat on my front porch. Of course, they died and being lazy I just dashed everything out of the pot beside my porch, literally just upended the pot and walked away. Low and behold (no pun intended) the next year they came up. Year after year they multiplied so I dug up most of them and planted them in my front island. I thought I got all of them but missed about 3. So every year now I have some that grow beside my porch and some out on my island. You can't see the ones beside my porch since we have shrubs in front of them. I think I need to separate the ones out on the island again because they are getting out of hand. I've already done it once.

They are just ok, as a gardener there are are prettier lily plants, it’s not the one I’d choose. I also don’t like the smell, it gives me a horrible headache.

Easter lillies definitely have a strong smell. I probably would never buy any. Memories of Sunrise worship at church, bring me to a peaceful space of home. I was priviliged a few times to carry Easter lillies to the front of the Sanctuary with my fellow choir members as the early morning service began. God willing next year I will be able to attend a church service in person again. This year, I will do so virtually. I will definitely say an extra prayer of thanks to God for I believe calling me to join His choir at that church and further gifting me with the joy of I pray praising Him extra on Easter, lillies and all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter