slo’s MONDAY 6/3 poll - Exploring State or Country Capitals

State’s or Country’s Capitals - How many have you explored and have you explored yours? (m.c.)

• I have explored my State’s or Country’s Capital

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • I have not explored my State’s or Country’s Capital

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • I’ve explored 1-5

Votes: 31 49.2%
  • I’ve explored 6-10

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • I’ve explored 11-20

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • I’ve explored 21-30

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • I’ve explored 31-40

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I’ve explored 41-50

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I’ve explored no State’s or Country’s Capitals

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other - Please post your answer

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters
I've been to all 10 provincial capitals in Canada. Toured around each a bit. Wasn't there because they were capitals - just on holidays in the area.

Last edited:
We've explored five or six international capital cities. Domestically, if you include DC, I'd add another 20-25 to that mix. There are a few that we just didn't have time to stop and it was more of a drive through situation. I know we've driven through Topeka, KS, Harrisburg, PA, Bismarck, ND, Santa Fe, NM and Little Rock, AR with no exploration. I think some also hinges on which capitals are more "destination" cities as well as time on your hands. For example, there is a TON to do in and around Denver, but if you have some downtime and have never been to Wyoming, I know people will make the fairly easy drive up to Cheyenne, since the capital isn't too far past the border. It's also extremely quiet and small compared to most capitals, so it's fairly easy to get around.

I've been to several state and a few country capitals, but never intentionally just to "explore" the capital. I'm not sure what counts? In Santa Fe we went to the Georgia O'Keefe museum, walked around the downtown Santa Fe Plaza area. Does that mean I explored that capital? We spent a couple of nights in Denver on the outskirts near the airport and went to the Denver zoo. Does that mean I explored that capital?

Of all the capitals I’ve most explored Boston. Had been there with family once, friends once and then we lived outside of Boston (Malden) for a year for DH’s work. I had one DD at the time who just turned 2 when we left and just turned 3 when we came back home and loved to go places. Knowing our time there was limited I made the most out of that year. It was an amazing year and I wish she remembered more.

I also visited DC as a kid and then our family did a day there about 10 years ago and saw the highlights. There is definitely much more for us to see there.

My own capital is Harrisburg. I’ve been there several times but not really explored.

I went to school for a while in Columbia, SC so did some exploring there.

We travel a lot for DD’s sport and have been to many capitals. Just this year we were in Indianapolis twice, Columbus twice (just got home last night) and Atlanta. We’ve only really explored the convention centers, restaurants and bars though so not sure that counts!

As far as countries, I’ve been to London when DH was working there. Oldest Dd was only 6 weeks old when we left. We were there for almost a month. I mostly explored the small town outside of London we were staying in, but we did have one day in London where we did the highlights—another place that I would love to go back to one day.

I’ve also been to Toronto a few times. I know it’s not the Canadian capital, but is Ontario’s capital. Did a lot of exploring there in college.

--->
I’ve been to DC and Boston many times and definitely explored. Have been to my state’s capital, Albany, primarily to visit friends who live there. Other state capitals I’ve visited, off the top of my head (I’d say the word exploring is subjective): Providence, Annapolis, Richmond, Nashville, Atlanta, Denver, Phoenix, SLC, Honolulu and Juneau.

I've only ever (as far as I can remember) been to DC, many times. School trips, and several times as an adult.

Most capitols of NE; DC, Trenton, Albany (great from a historical POV but Nelson Rockefeller needs to get out of his grave and explain his modernist architecture; just jarring). Most capitols of the “BeWe” (aka British West Indies). Several Euro centers and only one in the Middle East.
I’d guesstimate more than 20, less than 30.

Unless we happened to already be in the area, can't recall ever traveling/vacationing just for the idea of exploring a capital. Many are just govt/official buildings. Some may have a museum and/or exhibit area that might appeal to tourists.

I from Prague Czechia which is capital there. Not sure if that count. I've been to many EU capitols. I never go to Washington yet.

Looked at the list of state capitals and I have been to 8! More than I thought I have been. Couple were just driving thru for a meal like Cheyenne.

I have been to the Indiana state capitol building in Indianapolis.

I have also been to the Illinois state capitol building in Springfield. I also got to tour the "Old State Capitol Building" in Springfield.

as far as the cities and no buildings... I have been to several just passing through. I am estimating 10.

New DISboards Posts

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest