slo’s MONDAY 4/8 poll - Solar Eclipse ☀️🌕😎

Solar Eclipse - Are you seeing this today and/or have you seen one in the past? (m.c.)

• I’m seeing the 4/8/24 solar eclipse

Votes: 64 58.2%
  • I did see the 4/8/24 solar eclipse (for those participating after the eclipse is over)

Votes: 17 15.5%
  • I’m not seeing the solar eclipse on 4/8/24

Votes: 15 13.6%
  • I can see the solar eclipse from where I live

Votes: 67 60.9%
  • I’m making a special trip to see the solar eclipse

Votes: 9 8.2%
  • I’ve seen a solar eclipse in the recent past (in the 2000s)

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • I’ve seen a solar eclipse a long time ago

Votes: 24 21.8%
  • I’ve never seen a solar eclipse

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
Drove about 1 1/2 north into Indiana to get a good view of totality. Where we live was at about 99%. We had a good time, stopped at an outlet mall. Thought the place might be really busy ,but not too busy at all. Our school system was closed, just extended there spring break by a day.

Able to watch from our front yard. Totality was a pretty cool experience.

DW just made reservations for viewing and accommodations at DD's house for the 2045 Total Eclipse. She's just outside of Orlando and if we are still alive the viewing could be spectacular

Wonder if WDW will have a Totality Viewing - Parks Visiting Package.

We were 95% at home, but I wanted to see totality. I drove about 3 hours yesterday and spent the night just to wake up to worrisome cloud cover. So I pivoted to a spot about 35 miles to the northwest. It was cloudy at first but the clouds started to melt away as the eclipse began. It was clear skies for the entire 4 minutes and 23 seconds of totality. The drive home wasn’t awful either. It only took an extra 30 minutes and that’s likely due to severe weather.
IMG_1961.jpeg

Well, I was wrong. 99.3% is a vastly different experience from 100%. DH traveled north to take data and the difference was amazing. I'm sad this morning, that I didn't make the effort to travel (so close- within an hour's drive!) but I had a commitment at 2:45 that couldn't be avoided. I'm pretty bummed this morning. Not sure I'll live another 21 years and be able to travel to see the next total eclipse.

Last edited:
We had cloud cover so I did not get to see the totality but the total darkness was so cool. My daughter was so sad about the clouds but again the darkness was an incredible experience.

Well, I was wrong. 99.3% is a vastly different experience from 100%. DH traveled north to take data and the difference was amazing. I'm sad this morning, that I didn't make the effort to travel (so close- within an hour's drive!) but I had a commitment at 2:45 that couldn't be avoided. I'm pretty bummed this morning. Not sure I'll live another 21 years and be able to travel to see the next total eclipse.

I feel for you. I'm seeing some of that disappointment in my dad. He's mid 70s and he's worried this may have been his last chance to see one without tackling international travel. They went to TN in 2017 and were thankfully able to see totality, but he didn't bring his binoculars to see the details that time and the forecast here in Texas worried them. So, they canceled their travel. I decided to push on with "totality or bust" and made it to a spot that experienced the eclipse cloud clearing effect. Unfortunately, there were too many people around me streaming and eating up bandwidth for me to be able to FaceTime my dad during totality. I'd love to travel to Egypt in 2027 to see that total solar eclipse from Luxor (over 6 minutes of totality) and I have an invite for Spain in 2026, but I just don't think it'll be in a budget.

I've tried to get DD understand how awesome it is that she's 12 and seen TWO. Yeah, she's not getting it. But I am!!

We were supposed to have 100% totality here in the Rochester area. But as is typical for this area, it was very cloudy all afternoon. I work 3-11 and I went to work early to avoid all the supposed traffic that we were supposed to have that was actually nonexistent. I didn't bother to go outside but I looked out the window at the total darkness which is the best we got. I did see some pics on Facebook posted by a few people in other areas nearby where there were small breaks in the clouds where you could see it.

I’m currently in southern Ontario on a work trip. The Academy provided glasses we broke our conference session to go out and watch. 8-) We saw “almost” totality and it was awesome. I’m delighted because if I had been at home, I would have seen nothing. I'm sorry DH wasn’t here to share it. But, Lord willing, we both have a shot at seeing the next one in 2044. Two in a lifetime is rare.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter