Sleeping in car fort wilderness

rayray67

Earning My Ears
I've read through the other posts concerning this topic. But no one has actually said if it's allowed or not. Yes. I know I can buy, rent, or borrow a tent. I realize that is an option that most people would go for. However, I cannot fall asleep in a tent. My anxiety goes through the roof. I've slept in my car many times. So please do not suggest a tent.

I am only wondering if I will get in trouble for sleeping in my car. I don't want security knocking on my window in the middle of the night. Please comment if you have successfully done this before. Or if you've seen someone do this before. Also, would I be allowed to leave my car running for AC?

I've read through the other posts concerning this topic. But no one has actually said if it's allowed or not. Yes. I know I can buy, rent, or borrow a tent. I realize that is an option that most people would go for. However, I cannot fall asleep in a tent. My anxiety goes through the roof. I've slept in my car many times. So please do not suggest a tent.

I am only wondering if I will get in trouble for sleeping in my car. I don't want security knocking on my window in the middle of the night. Please comment if you have successfully done this before. Or if you've seen someone do this before. Also, would I be allowed to leave my car running for AC?
So you want to park and sleep in your car? Where would you park? It just sounds to me like loitering and not allowed.

at a camp site in fort wilderness

I know it's been talked about here before, but your best bet is to call the resort and just ask. They do rent tents and cots, and might require you to at least have those setup (at a cost). Where you sleep likly wouldn't matter at that point.

On the AC, I'm going to say no they won't allow that as it's dangerous to sit in a car idling for an extended time.

Don't know about if you can, but if you are allowed to sleep in car but not run car, maybe get some screening for a few windows and battery run fans.

I would ask in the Camping forum here on Dis....maybe they have a definitive answer. I would be surprised if it was allowed though. I know if I was in the site next to you and saw no tent and the car running all night I would find that suspicious and probably report it.

Don't know about if you can, but if you are allowed to sleep in car but not run car, maybe get some screening for a few windows and battery run fans.

Or a 110V "window" AC unit.... Of course if you own and EV, then it's all electric anyway. ;)

But I'd say call the Campground and ask them if they allow Car Camping (a real thing), and if so if any rules or guidelines.

Maybe just set up a tent if you don’t want to draw attention to the fact you’re sleeping in the car.

Anyone sleeping in a tent might move to their car due to bad weather or whatever. What difference does it make it you just stay in the car? I don’t know how or why this would be disallowed or policed.

If there is others in your party and or there will be a tent I would think it would be fine to sleep in a car. Running all night I would think you may get some complaints unless you are surronded by trailers with generators but as I understand they have and electric hookup. Some ideas maybe rent a small Trailer they make very small ones with hard tops that can be towed by very small cars. If it is just to sleep in your car see if there is a highway rest area/Truck stop that has showers etc fairly close while further driving to get to a park morning it will be a lot cheaper and no one would second guess a running car with someone sleeping in it. A camping site this would be like renting a hotel room to sleep in the lobby... people may get suspicious. That is not to say it is wrong but unexpected at both.

In Feb 2021, I drove from NY to Disney World and stayed at campsites along the way and slept in my SUV (I have a platform in the back with a camping air mattress). This included a stay at Ft. Wilderness. I didn’t even realize it might not be allowed and no one said anything, including security who came through the loops.

I didn’t run my car while I was there… I have screens that go in the open windows for ventilation.

Everyone has different camping styles so, I think it would be hard pressed for Disney to dictate each one's preference. I am with you about not being able to sleep in a tent but i think a car would be even worse, at least for me.

I have seen a wide variety of "non- traditional camping" arrangements at the Fort. Anything from the back of a pickup to a U-Haul trailer to a semi truck (no trailer). I don't know if there is an official rule, but like someone else suggested, buy or borrow a small popup tent to put out and sleep where you are comfortable. I have seen many people/families emerge from a vehicle early in the morning after a heavy night's rain because their tent took on water. I don't think anyone at the Fort will bother you.

j

As long as you are paying for the site nobody is going to question your sleeping arrangements. As others have said though, I think I'd be looking into some window fans and screens, at the very least screens. I do think a small window unit AC would be cool. (Yes, pun intended! :rotfl2:I crack myself up!).

Dont think I would ask, set up a tent if that what it takes, and sleep any where on your site.
car , pick-nick table , hammock, or on the ground , as long as you pay.

I'd say with others to sleep where you want, but do NOT run your car engine overnight! It would be extremely dangerous, bad for the environment and very annoying to other guests, especially in a tent loop!

You can buy tents cheap at WallyWorld, buy one and just pitch it in your site if you don't want people to know you're sleeping in your car. My DH did this at a KOA when he was told he couldn't sleep in the shell on our pickup, even tho it was kitted out for camping (ie bed, heater, low chair, etc). He had to sleep in a tent or 'real' RV (trailer, motorhome, truck camper), that KOA did not allow 'car camping'. So he pitched the tent and crawled in the back of the truck.

Maybe stay at a value resort? Only about $50 a night more and then you don't need to worry.

Dont stay in a running car. Carbon Monoxide buildup can silently cause death

Maybe stay at a value resort? Only about $50 a night more and then you don't need to worry.
Is it really only $50 more per night for a room at POP vs a Tent site at the Fort??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter