Sistah Twistah - A January Dining Review- Updated- 6/25 - COMPLETE!!!

So I hereby pledge that "next time" I will give the Dole Whip another try. As a pineapple-vanilla swirl. And hopefully it will be as dreamy as all of you seem to think it is :cloud9:

The swirl is really nice, in my opinion. The pineapple by itself is actually way too tart for me, so the vanilla balances it out nicely. However, if you didn't like the pineapple flavor at all, I'm not sure the swirl would help a lot - but it never hurts to try :) I also don't understand the pineapple dole whip + pineapple juice thing. So much acid and citrus! So obviously I just get the swirl every time :P

The juice tasted like the juice that's left over in canned pineapple. (Bitter, very strong, a bit of an aftertaste.)

I could not agree with you more! I know the exact aftertaste you're talking about. I hated it. Just couldn't. I know, sacrilegious. :sad2:

Womp womp womp... sorry the dole whip was not your fave!! I like the soft serve on its own but I totally agree with you... that mixed with the pineapple juice is probably a no for me. I think it may be good swirled with vanilla, I'll have to try that sometime.

Why didn't I think of putting condiments on my corn dog nuggets!? Duh. What a great idea.

The swirl is really nice, in my opinion. The pineapple by itself is actually way too tart for me, so the vanilla balances it out nicely. However, if you didn't like the pineapple flavor at all, I'm not sure the swirl would help a lot - but it never hurts to try :) I also don't understand the pineapple dole whip + pineapple juice thing. So much acid and citrus! So obviously I just get the swirl every time :P
I'm SO getting the swirl next time!! The pineapple without the juice was not too bad. A bit sweet but I can handle it. I think the vanilla might add that little something I need to actually like it :)
Do you get the swirl at Aloha Isle or only at the Poly?

I could not agree with you more! I know the exact aftertaste you're talking about. I hated it. Just couldn't. I know, sacrilegious. :sad2:
Yay! I'm not alone! :love1:

Womp womp womp... sorry the dole whip was not your fave!! I like the soft serve on its own but I totally agree with you... that mixed with the pineapple juice is probably a no for me. I think it may be good swirled with vanilla, I'll have to try that sometime.

Why didn't I think of putting condiments on my corn dog nuggets!? Duh. What a great idea.
On your next trip- try the swirl and let us know! I told you I'm already waiting for your next dining report :D
And condiments seemed obvious to me at the time. Corn dogs are hot dogs after all :cloud9: (Plus I love relish and it's very hard to find here!)

We don't really have tiny baby ducklings roaming around freely in Israel so as an animal lover, this really warmed my heart :lovestruc
(And my Mickey Mouse shoe made it into the picture too!)

Aw, so cute! Also LOVE your Mickey shoes

This is me after trying the Dole Whip Float:

(Ok, no picture here so I'll have to make due with what's available) :

:( :sad2: :sad1: :worried: o_O :confused3 :confused: :scratchin

Oh dear. Well at least you tried it and now you know.

The juice tasted like the juice that's left over in canned pineapple. (Bitter, very strong, a bit of an aftertaste.)

Yuk :crazy2:! I was actually leaning to trying the float but after reading this I think straight up is the way to go for me.

Aw, so cute! Also LOVE your Mickey shoes

Oh dear. Well at least you tried it and now you know.

Yuk :crazy2:! I was actually leaning to trying the float but after reading this I think straight up is the way to go for me.
Funny story about the shoes. About three years ago I was at the World with my family for the first time in almost 20 years. We flew down for three days in the midst of our visit to New York.
It was December. And coming from Israel/NY, I was thinking cold, right? Wrong. I came with sweaters and -get this- heeled boots!! I actually arrived on Main Street sweating, feet hurting, thinking to myself- what the %$#&* were you thinking girl?? No way was I gonna survive a full day at the park like this! So into the first shop on Main Street I went. And out I came with a new T-shirt and my Mickey Mouse sneakers that absolutely saved my life! That was the trip that got me hooked. 10 months later I was there again. Then two years until this last trip in January. And always my Mickey shoes :earsboy:

Have you ever tried the Dole Whip or will this be your first time?
Right now everything's so dreary and depressing at work, I'm sure I'd enjoy it, juice and all!

I got mine at the Poly - pretty sure the swirl is gone from Aloha Isle since they moved, but I'm not totally sure :)

Where did they move? We haven't been since July 2012....

Ariel, it moved from the tree house to the Tiki Room. And Lindsey, it looks like you're right. I just stumbled across this thread:
http://www.disboards.com/threads/the-vanilla-dole-whip-is-gone.3447250/
It seems the only place you can get the swirl is now at the Poly. :(

I wasn't a fan of the float either...got one due to the hype on the boards, but didn't finish mine either. I am really tempted by the orange and vanilla swirl....hope I can find one in 20 days!

-get this- heeled boots!!

Heels at Disney?????? Wouldn't dream of it! Good thing you were able to buy something more suitable

Have you ever tried the Dole Whip or will this be your first time?

First time. I really like pineapple. Actually my 2 favorite popsicle flavors are lemon and pineapple. And I was leaning towards getting the float since so many rave about it, but after reading your experience I'm just going to stick with the regular.

I wasn't a fan of the float either...got one due to the hype on the boards, but didn't finish mine either. I am really tempted by the orange and vanilla swirl....hope I can find one in 20 days!
Orange vanilla sounds delicious! (20 days!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!! :cool1: )

You are not alone! I don't understand what all the fuss is about with Dole Whips!! :confused3
:confused3 Don't know. But I'll probably keep trying trying things DISers fuss about because you never know- they might actually be good! :D

Heels at Disney?????? Wouldn't dream of it! Good thing you were able to buy something more suitable

First time. I really like pineapple. Actually my 2 favorite popsicle flavors are lemon and pineapple. And I was leaning towards getting the float since so many rave about it, but after reading your experience I'm just going to stick with the regular.
The heels just go to show you I had no idea what I was doing and that 20 years is too long...... o_O

Yeah, the regular is basically ice cream. Can't wait to hear what you think of it! :mickeybar

totally with you on the dole whip. Had one years ago and was like "ummmm ok". Was thinking of trying one again on my next trip but maybe not. I've spent all these years thinking something was wrong with me, you've just saved me a lot of therapy lol

totally with you on the dole whip. Had one years ago and was like "ummmm ok". Was thinking of trying one again on my next trip but maybe not. I've spent all these years thinking something was wrong with me, you've just saved me a lot of therapy lol
Hey, welcome! :D I think we're gonna start a club! 'Dole Whip Haters Anonymous' or 'DWHA' for short :lmao:

I have another secret. *whisper* I don't like tonga toast either. :confused3
Shhhh I won't tell! :ssst: And I haven't tried it yet but with so many DISers loving it, it was on my "for sure!" list for next time. No I'll have to rethink that decision :-)

Aaaaand we're back with....

Everything Pop! (Again!)

The day is still Wednesday, January 20th. We had just landed the day before and we had just spent most of the day at the Magic Kingdom.
Needless to say, we were still pooped.
The thing is, being pooped has never stopped me from eating before, and it certainly wasn't going to stop me from eating then! (Or now for that matter!)
Both Shira and I crashed in our room that evening. She watched some TV and I probably took the time to email my totally un-Disney boyfriend back home. If I remember correctly (and if I don't I'll be getting a text message shortly after I post this :rotfl: ) Shira fell asleep and I was left alone to contemplate the meaning of life and why the heck flights to Orlando were so expensive. And also to contemplate how people could fall asleep with no dinner. At Disney World. :confused3

Well, off I went to the Pop food court to grab me some dinner. Apparently this was fairly late- my pictures were taken at about 9:30 pm!

As always, I started my rounds, trying to decide what to eat and what would be a good snack replacement for my drink, since I had my refillable mug with me.
I felt really lucky that night because they were serving soup! Which was considered a snack on the DDP!! Yay!!!

So I got this guy:

5 POP (1).jpg

Chicken Noodle Soup - $3.99

It started out really yummy. The soup itself was good, there were actual pieces of chicken in there and even the vegetables were harmless.
BUT, I'm afraid the "noodles" ruined it for me. Are these macaroni pieces actually considered noodles?? I imagined short, thin egg noodles. That's what we have around here, anyway.
These macaronis were really big and were not originally in the soup- they were added to the bowl by the CM from a different tray/dish thingy. It also seemed they were cold because the soup was only lukewarm when I sat down to eat even though it seemed steaming when they first poured it...

This is another picture I took when I had had enough of the soup:

5 POP (2).jpg

That is A LOT of stuff that's not soup. (Sure, the veggies are still considered part of the soup, but we're talking half the bowl!)
I need my soup hot and with a lot of broth (or the liquidy part. whatever). This was way too much for me compared to the small amount of actual soup.
I'm not saying I wouldn't order this again because I probably would, but I'd ask them not to put any noodles in there next time...
Oh, and by the way- what's up with the crackers? I don't mind them, but it was weird to me that crackers come automatically with the soup. Are you supposed to put them in the soup? Or just eat them together? :confused:

After the whole soup thing, I moved on to the yumminess of this dish:

5 POP.jpg

Chicken Parmesan - $8.79
"Over Cavatappi Pasta with Marinara or Alfredo Sauce served with Green Beans and Garlic Bread"

Wowee! Chicken in a crispy crust covered in cheese with a big portion of creamy macaroni and cheese next to it! Heaven. :angel:
As you can see in the picture, I also got a side of green beans which had no flavor and I could have done without (actually, I did do without..) AND I got a slice of garlic bread!
The bread was a little mushy- not really crispy, but the flavor was great and I enjoyed it.

The chicken I got was a fairly small piece- I would have liked more- but it was really tasty! Just a bit salty like it should be and went really well with the cheese and pasta!
For the pasta there were options- either mac and cheese, marinara or Alfredo sauce. The choice is so obvious for me. Gimme some cheese. Lots of cheese. No, that's not enough. More please.
(The pasta was so much better as mac & cheese instead of "noodles"!)

And last but not least, my dessert (which I actually ate this time) was...

5 POP (3).jpg

Chocolate Cake - $4.29

Just a plain old chocolate cake. But there was nothing plain about it, mind you. :cake:
The cake itself was so moist. And the icing was so delicious. :goodvibes And that pretty little dollop of chocolate on top was even softer and creamier than the frosting so to me that was a third type of chocolate in this fabulous chocolate cake!
The only thing I didn't like were the little Mickey candies. They're pretty and cute and colorful (and certainly added to the presentation) but I didn't enjoy eating them.
They had a sandy texture to them and just bothered me while I was enjoying this little bit of chocolaty heaven. I'm a girl with simple tastes, what can I tell you. :-)
My four major food groups are cheese, sushi, steak/ribs and chocolate :D
This was one dessert I was not leaving for later! (Ha ha. The dessert I did leave for later after Cosmic Ray's was the same exact dessert, of course!)

And through all this, Shira was sleeping soundly in her bed, not knowing what she was missing.
:charac2:

Next up- our day at EPCOT and some yummy stuff from Les Halles!!!!
:jumping1:

Yes, a lot of people here eat crackers with their soup. Some dip them in the soup, some crumble them up in the soup (this is what I do).

Yum on the mac-n-cheese (I love all varieties...cheese is a food group!) though I like alfredo, too.

So glad to hear it on the chocolate cake. I love me some dessert and since we are on the DDP, I will definitely be trying that.

I need to remember to trade the drinks for snack items at Artist Palette since we will have the refillable mugs, also. We are only planning arrival day lunch and possible departure day breakfast/lunch at the resort, though.

Enjoying the report!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter