Should we skip ExpressPass for the sake of the queue, on some rides?

MousetersInc

Mouseketeer
We're making our first Universal visit, with a couple of Potter-heads. We have Express Pass, and I'm wondering: are there some richly detailed queues for which EP will miss some of these details? I've heard this is the case for single-rider, e.g. on Forbidden Journey. I'm not suggesting anything crazy, like choosing standby when the wait is hours long, and of course I understand that when lines are short we're free to take our time and appreciate details that we might otherwise run past. But, just checking.

I think you've about nailed it. Hagrid's also has a single rider line that moves pretty quick where you get to see everything still. And the queue for Spiderman is pretty fun to do once.

I'd try to do the regular line queues once on each of the HP rides
FJ & Gringotts only. And really, you pretty much see the whole of everything from the EP line in Gringotts so I wouldn't even bother with that one. Granted single rider on either of these skips pretty much everything (including any waits, especially at FJ). Hippogriff queue is all outside, you can see Buckbeak himself and Hagrid's hut regardless of EP or standby. There's nothing to see in the Hogwarts Express line from Hogsmeade, and from Kings Cross I'm pretty sure you merge into standby before entering platform 9.75 anyways (which is a cool effect, and can be easy to miss if the train is a walkon).
Hagrid's also has a single rider line that moves pretty quick where you get to see everything still.
Not really true in my experience - in the single rider line you don't go through the vast, vast majority of the queue and it may or may not move quickly. You skip the preshow if it's running, and really just go down a staircase, through one room, and to the loading platform. Plus you are almost always in the sidecar with the single rider line.
I remember now, Kong was also one where I heard this advice.
Kong sometimes has a scare actor popping out in the standby line. There is a neat animatronic shaman which you can see from EP or standby - for EP, you'd have to stop to watch it, it's easy to walk past. There are also some props through the standby queue - not something I'd personally bother to wait in a long line for.

Mummy also has more stuff in the queue - not sure I'd bother waiting in line just to see it, but it does set up the story much more than the EP queue (or the single rider). Also to note, the queue on Mummy is rather dark, and EP / single rider might be so quick that it's hard to see the turns/stairs in the queue because your eyes don't have time to adjust.

I’d add to try and do MiB if line is not too, too long. We’ve been doing ep and single rider so much later, had forgotten the queue. It’s cute. I prefer the express queue on Spider-Man , check out the names on the file cabinets. but if possible, do regular if not too long. I can’t do forbidden journey anymore, but last 2 trips, just walked the regular queue, took lots of pictures, etc it’s got so, so much great stuff. Had been years since we did the regular mummy lives, and it’s fun.

the standby line for Potter-heads is a must-do!!! although to truly experience it all you need multiple days. Express pass is nice because you will definitely want to ride multiple times on FJ, and Gringotts, take note at busy times that single rider line is often quicker than express if it's not imperative to be seated directly next to one another. I have ridden back to back on both. so much to do and see for a 1st-time potter head! Have an amazing time!!!

If you have serious Harry Potter fans in the group, do the regular line on Forbidden Journey if you can. You will see parts of the castle that the ExpressPass line completely skips.

The only one that is pretty much a must is Forbidden Journey. The standby queue goes through Hogwarts Castle and is great to see and pretty much a walkthrough attraction itself. Gringotts has an amazing queue, but from what I have heard and can see, you pretty much see all of it with the Express line too.

Queues that have some good stuff to see but aren't essential would be Spider-Man (go through the Daily Bugle and get more story setup), Mummy (cool queue through an Egyptian exhibit with some interactive elements and story set up), Kong (a couple nice animatronics and sometimes scare actors), MiB (see the MiB headquarters/offices), Transformers (story set up and some cool props). None of these queues are must see but might be worth it if the line is short. I'd say Mummy and Spider-Man would be the main ones to check if have time from this list.

Kong has a room with a "witch doctor" scene you miss in Express. Spiderman bypasses a room. Other rooms will skip some of the setup but if the wait is short, do the full line. Theming is excellent.

So glad OP asked this question. We will be there in a few weeks and I was wondering the same thing. We will have a 6 year old with us - is it still true that we can get in a special line to do a "tour" of the castle without any wait and then just leave the building when we get to the actual ride? If so, we may use the tour option for everyone and just use our EP for when we actually ride rather than dealing with an actual wait in the regular line. Does that strategy work?

is it still true that we can get in a special line to do a "tour" of the castle without any wait and then just leave the building when we get to the actual ride? If so, we may use the tour option for everyone and just use our EP for when we actually ride rather than dealing with an actual wait in the regular line. Does that strategy work?

For the castle tour, you go through the regular line and wait with everyone else, but then leave the building when it's time to get on the actual ride.

So glad OP asked this question. We will be there in a few weeks and I was wondering the same thing. We will have a 6 year old with us - is it still true that we can get in a special line to do a "tour" of the castle without any wait and then just leave the building when we get to the actual ride? If so, we may use the tour option for everyone and just use our EP for when we actually ride rather than dealing with an actual wait in the regular line. Does that strategy work?
Yeah, you basically exit right before getting on the ride, just like someone who had a sudden change of heart about riding. You might also be thinking of the fact that you can get a cast member to walk you through the castle and point out details. This is no extra cost, but I'm sure it depends on availability and traffic level, and I wouldn't count on it. At the expense of spoilers, this video also calls out a lot of the details:

For the castle tour, you go through the regular line and wait with everyone else, but then leave the building when it's time to get on the actual ride.
Do they not have the separate path for the walk through anymore? We went in 2017 and my son and I did the standby line but my husband took our young daughter through the castle tour path. They definitely did not go through the line with us. They were on a different path. They were not accompanied by a TM.

Do they not have the separate path for the walk through anymore? We went in 2017 and my son and I did the standby line but my husband took our young daughter through the castle tour path. They definitely did not go through the line with us. They were on a different path. They were not accompanied by a TM.

When I went in 2019, I didn't see a separate path for what you are describing. It was regular/standby and ExpressPass. Maybe it existed and I missed it, or it's something they were doing but stopped doing between 2017 and 2019.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter